The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:49:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DRAKE TR-4C  (Read 3642 times)
AE1CT
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:48 PM »

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH POWER THE DRAKE TR-4C PUTS OUT ON AM? I HAVE A CHANCE TO GET ONE AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT WILL WORK FOR ME ON AM. I KNOW IT DOES 150 WATTS ON SSB AND 130 WATTS ON CW BUT DONT KNOW ABOUT AM POWER OUT.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

My TR4CW/RIT does about 12 watts resting carrier with no modulation.  When you talk, the controlled carrier goes up to about 40 watts carrier (about 160 Watts pep).  Hope this helps. 
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:28 AM »

It transmits only one sideband on AM which is generally not a problem.  However if the station in contact with you has his receiver set up to receive only one sideband that will be an issue.  I have run into this a couple of times as a net control operator when I select one sideband on AM receive to avoid QRM above or below.  In most operation this will rarely be an issue.

The controlled carrier system used by the Drake 4 line works very well with linear amps designed for SSB and many can be used at their full SSB rating with this system.

Rodger WQ9E
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/t4.htm

Here's some simple mods to make the T-4 Drake line sound FB on AM.  (Seven simple steps)

I have personally done the T-4X and understand that the TR3/4 models use basically the same circuitry for AM.

Take out your schematic and see if it applies to your TR4-C.  The fidelity obtained with these mods is well worth the effort.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015