The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Classic back to life.  (Read 15164 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »

This is the rig I was talking about in a couple other posts.  Thanks to some help from the guys here I've got her playing on all three bands, just need a couple parts to finish off the restoration (glass and steering wheel band change knob). I may permanently add an isolation/bucking transformer and fuze holder discretely of course.  The sound is very nice, a pair of 6V6s in push pull through a 12 or 14 inch speaker.

Tell me what you think of the dial pointer and I'll tell you what it really is.

* 104_4431.jpg (409.77 KB, 1283x1818 - viewed 503 times.)

* 104_4432.jpg (676.32 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 507 times.)

* 104_4430.jpg (839.44 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 531 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

Ed that's a beautiful receiver; I bet it sounds fantastic on the broadcast band or when getting a strapping ham signal.  It has the floor cabinet similar to the one on the cover of ER this month.  Plenty of room inside for a buck transformer.   There were a number of receivers similar in appearance at the hamfest I went to yeterday, which was a hamfest, antique radio, and the Classic Radio Hamboree all rolled into one.  I have some photos I took at it that I want to post, but I shot them at the wrong file size so I have to re-size them to upload them.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »

A 39 Zenith, 9, 10 or 12 tubes.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »

Not just a machine, it's a beautiful piece of furniture!

The dial looks great too.  Is it the speedometer from a Pierce Arrow?  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »

Gorgeous. It's a lot like a friend's Zenith I finished a couple of months ago.  On that one much of the insulation was shot, shot, shot.  Did you have to deal with that?

I imagine you know the source for the replacement knobs.  If not, I can look it up for you.

Congratulations

Jon

* ZenithInsulation.jpg (484.33 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 538 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »

You can't beat that Zenith sound. The bass response and the audio output is usually top notch.

I made a bad decision to buy a pretty cabinet nicely restored RCA model 880(?) floor model and the bass is not as good as the Zenith.

It seems during those dayz that there was always a loudness war for the audio output and how many speakers the radio could have like this one!!!!

http://www.oldradiozone.com/strat_1000Z.html

25 pubes and HUGE sound
Steve has a beautiful GE floor model;;;;;;;

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
kb3wbb
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »

10 tube 1941 model 10-S-566, very nice!

Larry
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »

i got a crosley 25ay, it was also made in 1941. that thing sounded nice too, used a pair of 6k6gt's for audio output. big speaker, probably about 10". couple months back it developed a hum so soemday i'm gonna have to tear the chassis out of it and take a look at the filter cap, something tells me it may have gone bad. funny thing is, it is intermittent, every now and then it will run normal then start humming then it will go back to not humming. while i have it apart i should probably clean up the volume and tone controls, they're a little scratchy. lastest project is an old echophone ec-1, need a speaker for it and to fix the power cord the right way, at the moment i just cut the old one off all but just a little stump then attached the new one with wire nuts, didnt come with a speaker so i took a speaker i had that was originally for use with a stereo and used wire nuts to hook it into the wires that originally went to the speaker. it probably could use a new filter cap too and probably should replace the little rubber ashers that isolate the chassis from the metal cabinet.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »

It's true that these older BC receivers have excellent fidelity, especially in the bass region, but where are you gonna find a BC station broadcasting the kind of music that this excellent fidelity deserves?

I can't even find it in the FM band, well, perhaps a PBS station or two.

It's probably my age showing, but I'm hearing mostly noise. I guess it's my perception from being a professional jazz and big-band musician.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »

Fantastic workmanship Ed!  I know it sounds as good as it looks.  Do you have any pictures of it before you started the restoration?  It would be nice to see them as well.
Enjoy...
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »

So what do you play Walt?  I'm guessing trombone!

I love any sort of jazz, and really get a kick from Bix Biederbeck stuff.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

It's true that these older BC receivers have excellent fidelity, especially in the bass region, but where are you gonna find a BC station broadcasting the kind of music that this excellent fidelity deserves?

AM740 out of Toronto has excellent big band era and later popular music programming.  Good station to listen to with vintage receivers. Comes in nicely in the evening on our AC powered 1928 Kolster TRF BC set.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »

a type of shutter dial where the pointers turn color to indicate the band?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »

Nothing like bring dormant stuff back to service.

Thanks for posting.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »

Thanks for the fine comments!
I've had it so long I've misplaced the 'before' photos.  But it was found in a barn, water damage to the top of the cabinet, and it looked like every implement in the barn had hit the front at one time. 
The rubber insulation on the wiring was crumbling to dust, so it had to be rewired.  The cloth covered wire was fine. I recapped and replaced a few badly out of spec resistors.

The dial pointer had been broken off and all that was left was the bit that fits over the shaft.  They are simply not around anymore. Occasionally there are some that pop up on e-pay or whatever.  So I manufactured a look-alike replacement from brass, epoxy and plastic.  It doesn't look very good close up and the color is off but it works.  Of course after I made up this one, I did find one online ah well.

It works FB, adding a short length of wire really improves the reception and it does sound marvelous.  WFEA plays the oldies still on AM BC band. The difference between this receiver and any modern job is impressive.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:12:08 AM »

The shutter dial was 1938, I often use a 12S265 that I restored.

A problem with most of those old sets is they are barn door wide with 1 IF stage and built before the BCB license explosion after WW2.

The high end 36-39 Philcos had 2 IF's and variable selectivity which really helps. My favorite station is WXEX 1540 out of Exeter which is fine during the day but then drops to flea power and I lose it. It can also be Internet streamed. I use a 38-690 for the selectivity and great audio.

Another nice listener is the RCA 811K.  Crosley, Stromberg Carlson, GE and others made a few good lookers and performing sets also before the war.

If you want a nice tabletop allwave set for just general listening dont overlook a Hallicrafters SX-62A with the R-42 bass reflex speaker.

Carl
kb3wbb
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »

Yes, Stromberg-Carlson is a great performer. 1940 model 535M, 15 tuber with the acoustical labyrinth sound system. It pulls in Toronto 740AM better than my Zenith 8-S-463. By the way, the cabinet is stock original, never been refinished. The chassis, however, I have completely refurbed.

Larry
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »

It's probably my age showing, but I'm hearing mostly noise. I guess it's my perception from being a professional jazz and big-band musician.
Walt

Yes, noise.  It's almost embarrassing to see the performances that pass as music being broadcast to the whirl from our "Teen Idol" and super bowl-type events. It's like we have all lost our frickin minds to consider this the best music we can come up with.

Like you, I'm a jazz and big band nut. The music of that era (and it continues) took tremendous skill and composing ability.  Gershwin and Mancini and all the others were the Mozarts of our century.

I suppose that every generation says the same thing about the present day music. Even Elvis was outlawed in some places in the 50's... :-)

Ed:  That is a FB looking radio. You restored the wood very nicely and it has an oiled look.  I was amazed to view the specs of that other 25 tube Zenith Stratosphere with the 50 watt amplifier and huge speakers. It must have sounded superb to the 1930's users with the big band in its day.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »

WTIC had the best audio in the area. I remember my Grandmother tuning into Bob Steel every morning with her old floor model that I kept in operation. He had a 3-BA vioce. Today WTIC has the worst audio on MF only equal to WBZ. I can't listen to their crappy audio, worse than ssb. 
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

A few days ago I was telling someone that another problem is that these receivers were made before tx audio processing.  they are beautiful to listen to if you can get a station with 10 kc of audio but the modern NRSC preemphasis to compensate for modern rx rolloff at ~ 5 kc, comes through on the old rx.  You can hear it in the consonant hiss sibilance.   they are still far better than most modern s.s. receivers that give about half the frequency response.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

Kudos, Ed.  FB.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »

Another nice listener is the RCA 811K.  Crosley, Stromberg Carlson, GE and others made a few good lookers and performing sets also before the war.
Thanks for the refresher Carl..............

I meant to say that it was the RCA 811K that I have. Very loud radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XiyGS-cOao

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »

Kinda listen and look at a Zenith Stratosphere radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXDG-uoCrA

Fred KC4MOP
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »

Tom, my instruments were trumpet and string bass, depending on the gig. I had my own big band in college. I'll attach a pic of it. After being retired from RCA in 1980 I played mostly string bass, both in big bands and in small jazz groups.

Walt

* Walt's Bandoliers 1936.jpg (592.44 KB, 1819x1377 - viewed 480 times.)

* Alvino Rey W6UK Band 1944.jpg (389.96 KB, 1369x1080 - viewed 457 times.)

* Deltonans2.jpg (135.65 KB, 1154x758 - viewed 427 times.)

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »

Two more pics.

* Ward Island Concert Band.jpg (363.32 KB, 1445x1162 - viewed 427 times.)

* Deltonans3.jpg (143.73 KB, 1186x772 - viewed 535 times.)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015