The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:24:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390a DOA  (Read 2432 times)
Detroit47

« on: June 13, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »

I went to use my 390 today but.........It don't work the s meter is working but no audio. I’m not sure but I recall hearing something about an infamous ballast tube. I have it in a rack so just getting at it is a chore.

73 N8QPC
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »

S meter working is a good thing... The ballast tube is working. Could be power supply problems on the audio module. The are capacitors on that module that distribute B+ to the rest of the set. If this is the first time something went wrong, it might be a good time to replace those caps. It made my radio run like new with all of the B+ back to spec.
You might get lucky and it's just a tube.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »

I agree with Fred and to take it one further I'd put a .1ufd cap of the diode output into an audio amp. This would tell you if its the audio stage or before the detector. Also, don't be afraid to check those antenna relays. They are notorious for hanging up.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »

I agree with Fred and to take it one further I'd put a .1ufd cap of the diode output into an audio amp. This would tell you if its the audio stage or before the detector. Also, don't be afraid to check those antenna relays. They are notorious for hanging up.

YUP Mike(y) that starts to narrow down the fault.
It's truly amazing how those poor receivers survived in a typical comm center. This was before it was affordable to air condition a space just for electronics. Racks of R390's the SSB converters to recover 4 channels of voice or many channels of teletype with another rack of tubes to convert the audio tones to DC. geesh!
4 each 3kc slots of audio. I think a teletype terminal could demodulate ?? teletype signals............here is a link to something I remember seeing in Ft Monmouth
http://www.navy-radio.com/rtty-mux-fgc5.htm

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »

The r390A that i have does not use the ballast tube. it is jumped out. the two tubes in the PTO have been changed to the 12 volt version thereby eliminating the need for the ballast tube.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015