The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial / Farewell party for Derb!  (Read 11883 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: June 03, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

I We have decided to host a memorial cookout party in Timmy's honor.
the date is Saturday, June 11th. The location is my place as it is a little easer for a lot of people to get here. Food will be hot dogs, hammyburglars and assorted sides.
12 noon til Huh? BYOB. Dress is anything you would (or wouldn't) wear to a cookout.

If you knew or ever met Derb, Here is a last chance to say farewell.

I would like to get a head count so I have an idea how much food to prepare.
Please RSVP to me, either here, by P/M or by yellafone (410-440-6949)

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »

Hi Frank,

Martha and I will certainly be attending.  How about if we bring some food down to help out a bit?  Let me know how we can help.

That is a great thing your doing for Derb.   

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »

Yo.

Let me know what I can bring.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »

Same here.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

I would like to bring something to take your load off a bit Frank but the
best I could do is a few packs of Dogs and perhaps a pound or two of
80/20 GB and perhaps a few buns, etc...

Yeah, I'll be there if things go okay...  

Promise I won't fall on your property as well  Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin

John, you coming to the ZI next week? Looking forward...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »

Is there going to be an on air event also?  I hope so.

Can one make the 'hands in your pocket' people happy as to lessen the ETHL related accidents???

Anyways, what i'm considering for the few events here on the hill is .... ..

* SumoSuit2.jpg (16.18 KB, 350x415 - viewed 379 times.)

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »

As I've said before, Kevin......... you ain't all there!  Grin

And yes, I'll be monitoring 75 for an on air event. Right now I just can't see how I'd be able to make it.

My heart's already there.  Cry
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »

Due to the fact that this is an extrordinary date in our family's history, I will be unable to attend as much as I would like to. That night will find me in a hoity-toity restaurant establishemnt, where I will raise a glass in Derb's memory!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »

We may or may not have an "on air event."

I guess it just depenz on how late anyone wants to stick around and how early the band becomes cooperative. That one is totally out of my hands, but the 4X1 rig is ready, willing, and able.............................

W1IA

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »

I will be there in spirit Frank. Cry A wonderful tribute....if things change on the home front I might try and make it. May need a couch to crash on.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »

I'd love to attend, but it's too far away, and I just finished blowing a sh!tpot full of money during our trip to San Francisco. So the best I can do right now is to be there in spirit.

I'm glad I had the privilege of hosting Derb's exchange of radio stuff with John, WA5BXO when they met approximately halfway here two summers ago. Derb took some of my excess junk off my hands, and John took an item or two as well. I also got to meet Gloria on that trip. I just wish Gloria and Derb could have stayed long enough to meet my wife after she got home from work that day, but they had a long trip home and I understood why they couldn't tarry too much longer at my place.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »

I will be there in spirit Frank. Cry A wonderful tribute....

Same here.  I will try to leave the rig on 3885 or 7290 in case there is some on-air part of the occasion.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »

Frank,
       Please count both Jocelyn and I as being in attendance. We're looking forward to seeing both you, Carol and everyone else who'll be there.

Let me know what we can bring to the table. We can't arrive emptyhanded!

Very best regards,
Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »

Frank,
I plan on attending.  I can't think of a much better way to honour Derb. Your very gracious to host this.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »

Phrank, can I bring anything?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »

How's the memorial/farewell party going?  I got a rx on 3880 with a very wide passband in case you all decide to put some RF out.

oops just realized it started at noon and now it's almost 7 p.m. eastern time.  Maybe I'm too late.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »

Frank and Carol did a wonderful job hosting them memorial cook-out in Timmy's honor.  The weather was good, the temperature was a bit hot and you know, the food was fantastic.  Frank turned on the receiver late in the afternoon but the QRN was very strong, due to the thunderstorms heading into the area.  Martha and I left shortly after 7PM but the rest of the crew was still there having a great time.  I am not sure if anyone got on the air later in the evening from AHZ studio's. 

All and all a very FB event and Derb would have been proud I am sure. 

Thanks again Frank and Carol for doing it up right in honor of Derb.

Joe, W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »

Twas a great get together, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

I did this as a last gift for Timmy. After more that 20 years it is just a little difficult to let go. However sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. This was the last thing that I could do for him. I (and many others) will miss him. Lets face it without him I wouldn't have the "Slab Bacon" monicre.

This get together was not intended to be a somber occasion. Instead of mourning his passing, this was meant to be a celebration of his life, and that was exactly what it was.

I went down and fired up the station around 5:30 or so. The static crashes were well over +10. When the static is that bad on an SX-28, you know it is bad. We had storms building all around us and the band was pretty much unusable from this QTH.

Everyone that came enjoyed themselves, especially Gloria! Many thanks to all of you for coming over!!

R.I.P. Brother, we're gonna miss you!

Be yo brotha, be The Slab Bacon, and I be wavin my hand in the breeze! ! !

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

Thanks for hosting. It was a good time even though the reason we got together was bad.

I’ll miss Timmy, his humor, insight, passion and different way of looking at the world. He made us all think, learn and have fun. Can’t ask for any more than that!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 04:52:15 AM »

Indeed.  Thanks, Frank, it was a great time albiet under sad circumstances.

I took a few pics that I'll post when I get my act together.  Just got off the plane and back at the Athens QTH.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »

Sure enjoyed seeing all of you ; felt like Derb was there..    well, I guess he was.  Really appreciated the wake, Frank.  Sorry 75 was so crappy. It would've been fun extending our sentiments over the air.

Glad you got the Surburban running JN; probably not quite the Athens prequel you'd imagined.  The guys said you were a wondferful dad and other nice things after you left, heh, heh.

Glo seemed happy and I hope really did get a little transistion from the gathering.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W2ZE
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »

Thanks again Frank for having us over. Indeed, it certainly was more of a celebration of Tim's life, as we all had fond memories of him. Thanks again.

Mike
KA3VID
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »

Tim was good people and I had a great time at your place reminising
the good ol' days with the Derb ! Every word I try to use is not capable of expressing the feeling I have for the Derb ,you and everyone in the AM community . If it were not for the Derb I would most likely not be a Ham today.Thanks again you guys are da bomb Smiley William AKA Billy  KA3VID
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »

Frank, I haven't tuned into the window or a few weeks as I have been working on the new QTH... Appreciate you giving the Derb a send off, wish I coulda been there.... Spent many a late nite on the ether with the Derb. Still have some of his stuff when he was thinning the herd, times a coming when I'll have to do the same.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »

'Twas a fitting way to send off a good friend to many, a friend to ham radio in general, and to AM in particular. Frank and Carol, tnx for doing Tim's memory justice and providing an opportunity for some of us to gather and share.

It was great to see folks again too, especially Johnny who was home briefly from Greece. Sharing the trip anywhere with Steve is always an experience. Gloria managed a smile through the stories and shared a few of her own. Mike shared some interesting history and stories of the AWA and some of its legendary members.

But perhaps the most interesting moment took place while we were sitting outside in the evening. A mockingbird lit atop Slab's antenna tower and commenced to sing - quite LOUDLY. After a while, Frank tried to persuade him to move along by rapping an aerosol can against the tower - to no avail. He hung around for a while, singing his song. Eventually he flew off. Couldn't help wondering of perhaps the DeRB was making one final transmission.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015