The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B&W 6100  (Read 5532 times)
w30kc
W3OKC

W3OKC

« on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »

I just found one of these does anybody know were I can get manual or any info on this rig. I put it on variac today and brought it up to power everything lites up, don't want to do anything else until I get more info.

Thanks
Steve
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/b&w/

Note this is the BAMA Mirror site.  The main site has been down for a couple years.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »

Steve,
Congrats on getting a B&W 6100 transmitter.  They are a great old rig although primarily design for SSB they will work AM. 

I refer you to an article in ER that Jim Hanlon wrote to learn more about it.  The issue is number 240 which is May 2009. 

Please let me know what SN yours is.  Jim and I are maintaining a users list along with the serial numbers. 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w30kc
W3OKC

W3OKC

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

Thanks Joe, my rig is serial # 263 and is'nt in to bad of condition.  The silver laminate of frt face wrinkled and some of the silver flaked off.  The rest of paint is typical for old rig but definently restorable. I put if on variac and it powered up ok and all tubes and lites come on but don't want to put on dummy load until I see a manual. I read that the 5100 was a great am rig is this also as good on am?  What do you think of this rig Joe?

Have a nice holiday
Steve W3OKC
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »

I checked Vintage Manuals.  They have the combined op/service manual for $20.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

Hi Steve,

It does sound like your 6100 is in pretty good shape.  From the research that has been done, it appears only a couple of hundred of those transmitters were made.  B&W was late bringing the rig to market and by the time it went into full production, imported transceivers were already starting to arrive.  The 6100 was a very well designed transmitter but just a couple of years late. 

The rig was primarily a CW and SSB rig but did include AM via the typical method used in most SSB rigs of the day.  The balanced modulator was unbalanced and that provided a carrier that was low level modulated.  Saying that, when properly done it can sound pretty darn good.  The power output on AM was specified at 20W due to the low level modulation.  Going much higher you would run out of "head room" with a 100W maximum carrier output transmitter. 

The 6100 was developed to be a very stable SSB transmitter.  For frequency control it used what they called a "crystal control frequency synthesizer"  Frequency stability was specified to be no more than 100 cps during the first 15 minutes and after that period +/- 25 cps.  Jack Williamson who was co-owner along with Barry Barker was very proud of the transmitter.  Before Jack passed away he gave me his 6100.  It's in very good shape but I have not electrical restored it up to this point.

The 6100 is a very respected transmitter and I encourage you to restore it. I am sure you will enjoy operating it.  I need to do the same with mine as well.  Not many were made and those that still are around need to be taken care of.     

The earlier 5100 was a completely different beast.  It was primarily a CW-AM transmitter although B&W did sell an SSB generator for it very similar to what Heath did with the Apache.  The 5100 is a high level plate modulated transmitter and is a great AM rig.  Audio is very good and can even sound better with a few simple modifications.  Somewhat disappointing, it covers 80 thru 10 but no 160. 

Hope that helps!

Joe, W3GMS       

w30kc
W3OKC

W3OKC

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

Hi Joe, hope you had a nice memorial day weekend. Thanks for all the great info, it's great when we take time to help each other out. I sent for an manual and hope to have it by this weekend. I have an apache that I am going to use on am so now I have a nice stable rig for ssb and cw should work out great.  I like the old radios makes me feel good sitting beside the stuff. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks
Steve
W3OKC
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »

Great Steve and I am always glad to help.  Good luck with the project and everyone that I know who owns a 6100 really speaks highly of them.  It's a rig worth bringing back to life. 

Yes, the Apache is more suited for AM.  I have one of those as well and like it very much.  Keep a look out for the B&W 5100 and then you will have another great AM transmitter.

Yes, our Memorial day was very good and hopefully your was good as well.  A bit hot weather wise but what the heck.

Joe, W3GMS     

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015