The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those little flash thumb/stick backup drives  (Read 9422 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »

' check the manufacturers page, they usually have something. "

The something was,  win98 aint  suported.... ..

klc

At work I am stuck with what I have to use for computers to service two-way radios. We will go out and look for thumb drives drives and wifi modems that will run on Win 98 SE minimum. There is still a lot of stuff that will work. The minimum system now is WIN 98 second edition.
A lot of extra work but one day win98 will be gone.
The computers we are using are slow enough to read two-way radios and pagers. Using XP starts to push the limits and then it's hit and miss success of programming the radio. Especially talking out of a USB port.
After 2013 a lot of the DOS and win98 need will go away.

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »

Just out of curiosity Tom, what were you using prior to your recent thumb drive discovery?  Floppies?  Printing everything out on paper?   Wink
Rob

Hi Rob,

Cassette tapes, what else?   Grin

As I mentioned in the first post, I was using a duplicate "E" hard drive in the computer to occasionally ghost-backup the first "C" drive.  I've been doing that since 1988 in one way or another. Even had one of those older external Zip drives using mini-discs until recently.

The potential risk was if the computer itself were to catch on fire, get hit by lightning, etc and take out both drives.  The solution is a removable media that can be stored away in a fire-proof safe.

Using an external hard drive is another solution, but as I learn more, these thumb flash drives are really a great way to go.  I rely on them now.

I read that they are not as fast as real hard drives, otherwise would be used as the main storage device with no moving parts. That day will come.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »

Thumb drives have pretty much replaced burning CDs for a lot we do at work. More reliable than CDs in the short term, too. You can't scratch them.

My home PC has a 5" 1.2 meg floppy drive installed for grins. The last true floppy disc.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »

My home PC has a 5" 1.2 meg floppy drive installed for grins. The last true floppy disc.

I remember the transistion when they were phasing out floppies. For a few years some of the software companies still offered to send a floppy in the mail. And some of the older programs in storage were still on floppy. So having one in the computer was important for a while longer.

Nowadays, just download it off the website. Nice.

But, Bill -  needing a floppy in 2011?  That's like breaking into an alligator ssb QSO using a DX-100!    Grin

I still need to use a 3.5" floppy in my older telescope control computer, so I hear ya.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »

Just out of curiosity Tom, what were you using prior to your recent thumb drive discovery?  Floppies?  Printing everything out on paper?   Wink
Rob

Hi Rob,

Cassette tapes, what else?   Grin

T

aaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »

I still maintain one PC here that runs either of two partitions, Win98 or DOS 6.22, has a 5 1/4 inch 1.2/360 floppy, a 3 1/2 inch 1.4/720 floppy, 2 hard drives, 1 CDR drive, one CDRW drive, and a PCI/USB card to connect to a thumb drive. Ya never know when you have to run some old stuff or want to transfer some "old" stuff to newer media or vice-versa.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »

If anyone notices a thumbdrive that works on 1.0USB, lemme know?
I'd even take an older one...
Actually anyone with a 1gig Kingston drive that works on 1.0 that would be ideal.

I need to migrate an older machine's main files without making extra work.

Yes, I know there are other ways. But this is so dumb and stupid.

Seems thatmost of the 1.0 drives want a driver installed on the computer, which would be easy enough IF you could just plug in a USB drive and download it!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Otoh, I could burn to a CDR, IF I had a machine running with a burner...

Anyhow, I have had one drive refuse to write anylonger (drat!) and that was a Kingston that was 1.0 compliant with a driver on the machine... it worked a long time before it stopped writing. It reads ok.

I now have a fair number of these suckers in the 4 & 8 gig size, some redundant for safety. Not enough to back it all up, but enough for some critical stuff... for bigger back up I have a 500gig USB HD...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015