The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those little flash thumb/stick backup drives  (Read 9434 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »

I realize this is probably old news to many, but for those of us still in the computer dark ages, here's a nice product.

For decades I've used an internal hard drive "E" to back up all my important files. But for about $25, this 16 gig flash drive about the size of a finger will do the job. I ordered it off of eBay, just plugged it into the USB port and the computer recognized it instantly as drive "F".  I did a copy and paste of a 6 gig file and done in a few minutes!  This little device can be stored safely AWAY from everything else for safekeeping.

These sticks are also available at much larger capacities for more $.  Way to go for file backup protection.

Amazing technology.

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-Aluminum-Flash-memory-stick-thumb-Drive-16-GB-/330566983023?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D230623058589%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D134322762106245782

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »

I've worn out a few of them so I guess the trick is to load it once and save it.
I've been meaning to store all my pictures on one.
They have a limited number of write cycles.
I back up stuff on my kids computers so if one dies I don't lose my stuff..
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »

They are supposed to be good for several thousand saves and plays. I have never had one to wear out and I use them all the time. Do you always go through the proper "safely remove disc" procedure before pulling it out of the USB receptacle? I suppose it's a good idea to always keep a back-up of the back-up.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »

Don,

I didn't get any documentation with the drives, nor looked it up.  What are the general precautions to removing one from the USB port?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »

When you plug one in there is a little icon on the right side of the monitor that comes up. When you want to remove it click on the icon and select shut the drive down. it will tell you when it is safe to remove the drive. It won't shut down if any files are open.
I just wore one out but I use it multiple times a day to move files around.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »

When you plug the stick into the USB port, an icon should appear on the right-hand side of the Windows Task Bar. Clicking on the icon will invoke a procedure to "safely" remove the thumb drive. If you don't do this, some data may be deleted or corrupted. Basically, clicking on this icon ensures all writes to the thumb drive are completed and disk buffers are flushed before you physically remove it.

I think you can also right click on the icon for the thumb drive in Windows Explorer and do the same thing.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »

Yeah, that procedure works in XP as well...

I've yet to loose one here but then, they really don't get used that much...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

At times the response to clicking the "Safely remove..." icon in the taskbar can be confusing - mostly thanks to the way Windows handles USB devices.

A much more direct & sure approach is to use Windows Explorer, expand the Computer icon if it isn't expanded already and right click on the target thumb drive.  Then left click on "Eject".  You will get a "Safe to remove.." message.

Another use for thumb drives is to speed up your Vista or Win7 system.  There is a function called ReadyBoost. If the thumb drive is fast enough (Windows will inform you), Windows stores disk information on it in a special format, kind of a pre-fetch for your hard drive.  Makes quite a difference in responsiveness.  Use Help to pull up info on ReadyBoost.

73, Bill  N2BC
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »

They have a limited number of write cycles.

I read somewhere that they are good for millions of cycles. Another thing to note is, they can be set up where you don't have to use that Safely Remove feature. I just pull mine out of the port and I have lost nothing so far. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »

There have been reports of some who thought it was safe to remove a USB thumb drive and trashed their OS.  I figured I was immune to that but I managed to do it here.  Still can't figure out how.  Maybe it was luck of the draw.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »

I believe that most USB drives are set up to spread usage across the entire physical device memory to increase the life instead of constantly using the same area when you are only utilizing a small portion of its capacity.  I know that the CF and SD cards for my Canon camera use this technique.  The implication is that if you regular fill up the entire drive then the life will be greatly reduced, I imagine millions of cycles refers to a device that is generally used only for a small percentage of its overall capacity.

Rodger WQ9E
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

Wiki has a pretty good summary about flash drives.  It says that there are about 1500 cycles before the mechanical USB plug wears out, so this may be the longevity limitation if we plug it in and out for each use.

I didn't see anything about the OS getting trashed yet.  I will use the icon for removal as suggested - tnx.

T

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

I just wished there was something simular that works with USB1's....  none of the thumb drives will work on my WinDoza 98 lap top.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »

you need the w98 and or w95 drivers for that. check the manufacturers page, they usually have something.

as for pulling the flash drive while hot, would you remove a floppy disc while the light is on?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »

"Safely remove hardware and eject media" is there to protect your data by making sure that you do not have files open on the device and that there is no pending I/O.  If you don't use that function you may get a surprise someday when you find that the data you assumed was on the USB drive is not really there.

--- Post No Bills ---
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

as for pulling the flash drive while hot, would you remove a floppy disc while the light is on?

My point was to express that they can be safely removed hot. How anyone does it other than me, is their business.

A person interested in doing so would go to my computer then find the drive and hit properties and there a choice can be made.

* ScreenShot040.jpg (106.08 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 326 times.)

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

I just wished there was something simular that works with USB1's....  none of the thumb drives will work on my WinDoza 98 lap top.

klc
Yes they will. Win98 is PITA, but you have to go out on the internet and manually download the drivers. And they will work. Laptops are generally USB 2.0

I am seeing the advantage and ease of using these dam things NOW to organize the thumbs, so I know what's on them
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:58 AM »

I am seeing the advantage and ease of using these dam things NOW to organize the thumbs, so I know what's on them

I purchased a card of those little ~1/2" X 3/4" adhesive stickers like they use in stores to indicate the price of merchandise, and stick them on the thumb drive and write some clue to what is in it, or at least a reference number that I can document elsewhere.

Osama Bin Laden reportedly used thumb drives to communicate with the outside world via the WWW, avoiding a direct internet connection that could be traced to his location.  He typed his e-mails and website posts onto the thumb drive, and the courier hand carried it to an internet café or other public wi-fi spot to post the message, and reversed the procedure to return with the reply.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »

Then there is this cool stuff that you can do with them:

http://portableapps.com/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/123266/u3_portable_programs_on_a_usb_drive.html
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »

Tom:

USB thumb drives are an excellent invention. I keep one in my back pocket all the time.

Keep in mind that they are not meant to be a backup medium I use two external hard drives for that.

Also many viruses exist that directly target USB thumb drives as a distribution medium. A brother of mine found one on one of his student's thumb drives that had a virus that survived formatting. He could not clean it. Luckily he was using a Mac computer. So scan often and deep. To me they are one of the largest security vulnerabilities out there.

Dan
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »

I was reading that second link and all the time thinking it was something brand new. Then I discovered the article was written in 2005.

A note in the article.........When you're done, you click an eject button on the menu to safely remove the device (although if no apps on the drive are open and you aren't copying any data onto the drive, you should be able to simply unplug it without problems). As promised, the drive left no traces of the applications on our test PC, apart from the device number that any USB drive leaves in the Windows Registry when plugged in.  

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

' check the manufacturers page, they usually have something. "

The something was,  win98 aint  suported.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »

here is the thing...
USB drives are dirt cheap, buy a few. if one goes bad toss it out.
i have had many, i had one that was in my jeans pocket when it went through the wash and still works, i had one my dog chewed and still works. I have also seen others just stop working.
if you are still running Windows 98...well good luck to you, can find better stuff dumpster diving.  Kiss
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:20 AM »

' check the manufacturers page, they usually have something. "

The something was,  win98 aint  suported.... ..

klc

you may be able to find the old ones, 32/64/128MB with drivers, from those that have been there.. The drivers are usually saved somewhere. The sticks are pretty much giveaway in those old sizes.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »

Just out of curiosity Tom, what were you using prior to your recent thumb drive discovery?  Floppies?  Printing everything out on paper?   Wink

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015