The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:26:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST archive  (Read 6875 times)
KC2ZFA

« on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »

Hello all,

I'm thinking of joining the League and I have a question:

Does this QST Archive cover all the technical/construction articles
from (say) 1950 to 1960 ? If it does, are these articles viewable on the
web and/or downloadable as pdf files for members ?

73 de Peter
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »

I can't sure for sure if it is all, but anyone I ever searched for, I found. Yes, they are PDFs.
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »

The Archive has all but about the most current five years.  All are .pdf files.  If you find one is missing, you can notify ARRL and they will scan and add it.  Missing articles are probably just mistakes and so far ARRL has fairly quickly uploaded the missing files.  I have not run into any missing when I have searched.

Jim, AL7FS
KC2ZFA

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »

Thanks Steve and Jim.

The reason I asked is that when I called them I was told that
"only some" articles are available.

I'm really after the Vernon Chambers construction articles and
his write-ups on multiband tuners for xmtr stages.

I'll burn the $39 !
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »

I asked someone at the ARRL display at Dayton, and they told me that all articles in >5 years old back issues of QEX are available on line to members only, just like QST. I haven't tried the web site yet to see for sure.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »

I have always found what I wanted once I got the search parameters right.  And, if you are like me and have a lot of print versions for years around, the database makes a nice index without having to go through every December issue.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »

M,

Is yer pic of a Nike Hercules battery??

its too small fer me to see

klc

What? Me worry?
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

One complaint I have about the QST archives is that they did NOT include all the pages in each editions, specifically those with advertisements.

I've been frustrated in researching one of my radios which can only be found in the 1930's ads.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13:33 AM »

The Archive has all but about the most current five years.  All are .pdf files.  If you find one is missing, you can notify ARRL and they will scan and add it.  Missing articles are probably just mistakes and so far ARRL has fairly quickly uploaded the missing files.  I have not run into any missing when I have searched.

Jim, AL7FS

and if you find a mistake, like the last page (continued on pager 114,,) missing, they will fix it, and in one case sent me the replacement file.

The way things are, someone will probably eventually bootleg it all, including the ads, at better quality. Finding the archive would be the challenge.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WQ9E

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »

I bought the CD scans when they were available and all pages (including advertising) are included.  However much of the scanning was very poorly done, if one of our grad assistants did such a poor job he/she would be looking for another job.  I saw the bootleg copy of Ham Radio and whoever did that truly put the QST scans to shame.

Hopefully what is online is of better quality than the scans the ARRL sold on CD.

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

I asked someone at the ARRL display at Dayton, and they told me that all articles in >5 years old back issues of QEX are available on line to members only, just like QST. I haven't tried the web site yet to see for sure.

From the ARRL web site: "QEX, NCJ and Ham Radio material is not available for download"

And: "Most QST material newer than 2007 is not available for download"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »

I bought the CD scans when they were available and all pages (including advertising) are included.  However much of the scanning was very poorly done, if one of our grad assistants did such a poor job he/she would be looking for another job.  I saw the bootleg copy of Ham Radio and whoever did that truly put the QST scans to shame.

Hopefully what is online is of better quality than the scans the ARRL sold on CD.

From the ARRL web site: "Need a higher quality reprint or scan? Some of the scans contained within the periodical archive were produced with older imaging technology. If you require a higher quality reprint or scan, please contact the ARRL Technical Information Service for assistance."

I think most of the CD's were done at least 10 to 15 years ago. I believe they were all done by Radio Era Archives out of Texas.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »

I have most QSTs starting at 1932. What radio are you researching?

One complaint I have about the QST archives is that they did NOT include all the pages in each editions, specifically those with advertisements.

I've been frustrated in researching one of my radios which can only be found in the 1930's ads.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

At Dayton, some vendor had about 25-30 1930s issues of QST (the ones with the red covers) for sale.  They were mostly in MINT condition, looked like they could have just arrived in the mail 2-3 days earlier.  Most incredibly, he was selling them at $2.00 each!  I was tempted to purchase the whole lot, but I already have all the issues from that era, but most of mine are not in as good condition as those.  The guy is/was sitting on a goldmine and didn't know it.  Hope they didn't get soaked in Sunday's rainstorm, but I think the flea market had already closed down by then.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015