The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home-brew vs. Home-built ... what's the difference?  (Read 26202 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »

[that's for the 4x1, right ?
what do you use as a vfo ?
Also, please check you still have that 40" rack...I'm planning a trip !

Yeppir, and I use a POS drifty assed Globe VFO Deluxe for the VFO.

I will take a lookie for the rack this week, Ifn I still have it, you can see (and operate) it live and in person.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:31 AM »

BTW, Slab Bacon, were all the rigs you show built by the same person ? The first group and the second look miles apart.

Yes, me,
       They are the exciter / modulator deck, and final from my 4 x 1 rig. The exciter / modulator used a brand new chassis pan, the final used a used steel chassis pan (black wrinkle) wrapped with a piece of aluminum skin. the top pix of the second group is the driver which is inside of the box on the exciter deck.

The final is completely shielded. (some shielding removed for pix) Steve took those pix before it was finished.

That rig was an experiment that worked so well that I am still using it 10 years later!!

Frank,

I never get tired of looking at your 4-1000 screen modulated transmitter!  The construction is wonderful and it sounds fantastic on the air.  That transmitter has quite a heritage at the various festers as "the" special event transmitter.  I hope your treating it on its birthdays to something nice!  I remember very well when you were building it. 

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
kg8lb
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »

With true homebrew you design the circuit on paper, then you have to figger out where all of the parts want to live BEFORE you start drilling and blasting. I have worn out many sharpies and used up countless bottles of alcohol cleaning the ink back off and starting over again till you finally get everything where it wants to live.
It really makes for some head scratching and gets the creative juices flowing. Just simple stuff like the orientation of the tube sockets so all of the bottom connector pins are facing the right direction for ease of hook up can take alot of time and thinking.

Home brewing from scratch is a lot of fun, just not for the faint at heart. It really seperates the men from the boys! ! ! !

The planning/ layout is all important. It really shows up with a very tidy finished product. Good, clean metalwork adds even more. Good work can be done with the most basic of tools . In the right hands , better tools make even better products. Layout, good pressbrake work, clean drilling tapping , edge finishing are the mechanical touches that add so much to otherwise electrical contrivances.
  On the air, no one knows but in the shack it shows  Wink The owner has a unique piece of gear as his reward.

In the end , home brewing is just one more facet of the hobby .
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »

I have found that it can't be neat unless its been done before.  Having designed a LOT of transmitters that have never been built before (complete experiments in some cases), no matter how good the paper design is, there will invariably be changes needed... and this, of course, makes the project quite a bit less neat - the project is a prototype.

My shack is full of prototypes  Grin  And the projects definitely reflect the fact  Cheesy

But it's just great getting something on the air that you are not completely sure (no matter how good the math is!) if it's going to work or not - and it DOES!  Even better when it works the first time with NO issues, but that is rather rare.  There's usually something if the thing is really experimental or very complex Cool

The 2nd or 3rd implementations ALWAYS come out looking a whole lot better than the first one!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »

Neat has zero in common with performance.

You can have one, both or neither.

I've had a few rigs with neither.

I have found that it can't be neat unless its been done before.  Having designed a LOT of transmitters that have never been built before (complete experiments in some cases), no matter how good the paper design is, there will invariably be changes needed... and this, of course, makes the project quite a bit less neat - the project is a prototype.

My shack is full of prototypes  Grin  And the projects definitely reflect the fact  Cheesy

But it's just great getting something on the air that you are not completely sure (no matter how good the math is!) if it's going to work or not - and it DOES!  Even better when it works the first time with NO issues, but that is rather rare.  There's usually something if the thing is really experimental or very complex Cool

The 2nd or 3rd implementations ALWAYS come out looking a whole lot better than the first one!!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »

There is no way I would call a Heathkit home-built.  Home assembled but not home-built.  I mean, really, it's a complete kit and they tell you where to put everything and you don't do much of any creative thinking at all  Cheesy

There is home-assembled, home-built, home-designed, home-implemented, etc.

The terms home-brew and home-built seem, in the common vernacular of ham radio, to be more or less synonymous among most people with whom I speak, and who use the term.  I hear home-brew used to describe what is mostly a home implementation, and I hear home-built used by people to describe transmitters that they pretty much designed themselves.  I suppose I use this term myself, and I designed every circuit in the rig!

...If you add a lot of value and/or creative work to an existing design, it's home-built.  If you actually design it, it's home-designed and home-built.  Most rigs that are "home-built" (or home-brew) that I've encountered are a combination of an existing design with some amount of individual design work involved as part of the implementation.

Sometimes the "individual" design portion is good and sometimes not so good  Cool

That's pretty much my take.  I have always used the terms "homebrew" and "homebuilt" interchangeably. I have noticed in some other languages (French, Spanish and Italian), the equivalent term is approximately "home construction" or "home constructed".  To me, there is a difference between home-assembled vs home-built or home-constructed.

Some "homebrew" rigs are built right of the handbook and magazine articles, cook-book style, in which the builder buys all the parts brand new directly from the parts list, a step above kit assembly. Others, like most of mine are built in just the opposite manner.  I start collecting parts, or digging through my massive junk collection, until I end up with a pile of parts that I believe would make up most of the project, then design a circuit around what I think would best work with the parts on hand.  I usually do end up having to buy a few items I didn't have, either new, or what I can find used and beg, borrow or steal.  Inevitably, there are changes in the design before the project is completed.

Sometimes I build "by the seat of my trousers", by starting the project before the design is fully complete, and sort of designing it as I go along, using a lot of trial and error.  At other times, I completely draw out the circuit and sometimes even fully design the lay-out before even starting the project.

My recent "dawg-house" project was designed in stages.  I completely drew out the plans for the shelter structure first, then  went to the lumber store and looked over material available.  This required some modifications in the original design, but I eventually settled on a plan and built it exactly accordingly.  At the time, I had only a vague idea of how the tuner system would form and fit into the house.  Once the house was complete, I searched through the junk collection for what was available and came up with the plans for the mechanics and the switching system. I had to order some hardware from McMaster-Carr, but had everything else on hand, except for the voltage regulator I used in the indicator unit, and a couple of oddball resistors not in my junkbox.  I built the "homebrew" multi-wafer ceramic switch out of about 4 large ceramic rotary switches on hand, plus (to paraphrase Blown-Away Bob) "carving some of the pieces out of solid hunks of metal". Then, it was a matter of relocating the existing tuners, and mechanically linking everything together.  That was completely drawn, diagrammed and carefully measured before the first step of construction was started.  Everything went into place exactly as predicted, and there was very little "prototyping" in the project, although some details were not completely worked out until actual construction began, along with the usual few modifications in the final design.

So, it is a matter of degree.  At one extreme, one could hand wind all the transformers after stamping the laminations out of sheet metal and roll one's own capacitors out of tinfoil and wax paper. The other extreme would to buy all brand new parts verbatim from the parts list in a construction article (if one could even find them).  I think most of our homebrew projects fall somewhere in between.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »

For some fine examples of excellent HB work, this issue of QST in the Old Radio section has some samples of Bob Dennison's, W2HBE's (sk) work.  He was one that both made things look and work great.  I met Bob a few times and he was quite a guy.  A great EE as well as very good practical building skills.

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
kg8lb
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

All of Vernon Chambers mobile transmitters were beautifully done. A real testament to planning . A little time on paper can make a huge difference in the end product. Experience is yet another plus.
At our work we barely have time to get it done by the show date. At times we can only wish we had the luxury of another go. Although it is more like work the second time, the first one is the real fun one.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »

There is no nicer rig than a well built home made / brew.
A fine example was the rig Rich bought at Deerfield.
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »

no matter how good the paper design is, there will invariably be changes needed... and this, of course, makes the project quite a bit less neat

This is why Steve should get the Golden Clip Lead Award.  Grin

Actually I am a little uncomfortable saying my E rig is homebrew.  I basically used someone else's design (guess who?) and even circuit boards. But there was a fair amount of things to figure out such as metal fabrication and the RF layouts. So I'll call it quasi-homebrew Cool

Peter
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »

In the real world of high performance layout drives performance.
KC4ALF

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »

Gunsmith vs Gunmaker, same rules apply. The Smith is working on what already exists while the maker starts from scratch. As long as it works, though scratch built is soooo much more satisfying!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »

.....though scratch built is soooo much more satisfying!

I'm not so sure that's true. Having done both there is a great satisfaction in bringing a long dead boatanchor back to life and using it.

As the proverb goes; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I say cudos to both!!
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

In the real world of high performance layout drives performance.

This is very true. When you've been to the RF design school of W1GUC (Pete) and you listen carefully to his voice in your head as you start monkeying around, you won't go wrong.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »

Rob,
I went to the W1GUC Pete (SK) school of RF design. He was very sharp and knew his high voltage. I visited him at work once where he was playing with a 100KV power supply used for welding. The tank switch in my big rig was donated by him. I ripped it down and built it into the rig.

W1 Girls Understand Cash
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »

Frank,

Pete was certainly amazing. He'd show up in my driveway for a cup of coffee, and would always have some chunks of radio parts for me that were surplus to his needs. After coffee, he'd back down my driveway and run over my mailbox with that old crap-box station wagon of his. Pete could fix anything and it would work better than new when he was done.

When I was building my 4-400 rig, he would quietly inspect my work and then make a remark like, "What the hell are you thinking about over here?" I'd point to a picture in the Handbook and he'd burst out laughing, spew a few expletives, and then draw it out "the way it should be" according to Pete. Whatever he suggested always worked perfectly. By the way, he handed me a bandswitch for my rig as well. It came out of some kind of military rig that found its way into his basement.

His skill with CW amazed me. He could carry on a conversation with you as you sat in his shack while he simultaneously listened to a high speed stream of CW in the background. In mid-sentence he'd burst out laughing and ask me if I had caught the joke they were telling in CW. I guess when you're that good, it really is effortless...

I miss having him knock over my mailbox.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »

For some fine examples of excellent HB work, this issue of QST in the Old Radio section has some samples of Bob Dennison's, W2HBE's (sk) work.  He was one that both made things look and work great.  I met Bob a few times and he was quite a guy.  A great EE as well as very good practical building skills.

Didn't Bob get electrocuted by contacting the HV while working on an amplifier, or am I thinking of someone else?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »

I remember Pete telling me to reuse the silver plated brass screws in the Mil rig my bandswitch came out of. He said to never solder high power RF connections, bolt them. W2ILA was sellling the same mil rig complete at Deerfield last year. Now that I have a silver plating set up I'll go crazy when I assemble the new tank.
I met him on 10 meters in the '70s
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »

I met him on 10 meters in the '70s

Ah yes, I believe Pete owned 28.680 and always had something monitoring there. He only lived about 3/4 of a mile from here, and my poor little K-woo TS-520 would fold up on that band whenever he had the Drake twins and the L4-B cranked up. He had quite the strapping signal on 10 meters!

We'll have to trade some legendary "Pete" stories sometime Frank!

:O)

WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »

Yup, That's where I met him. I ran a 2 element quad with a 4-1000A linear back in the late '70s. 10 meters was a lot of fun back then. Sometimes I could work JA's facing NW then work more shooting NE. 
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »

There was a NE tall ship AMer who IIRC would always say "home-made" when describing his fine station.    He would point out that "homebrew" of course was the stuff you quaffed, as in a finely crafted homebrew beer/ale.   

Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »

Didn't Bob get electrocuted by contacting the HV while working on an amplifier, or am I thinking of someone else?

There was a guy by the name of Ralph from Syracuse that was killed by his SB 220 when he got across it in some way. I can't remember his call but he and Irb would go at it back in the 70's with their almost daily show. He could talk with Irb without getting %#@$$** off. His call started with a W2???  He was a retired air force officer as I recall.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »

W2WME
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »

W2WME

Yep. I remember he would call CQ and end it with something like:

"This is W2WME calling CQ on 60 acres of farm property near Utica, NY."

During one chat I had with Ralph, someone jumped in without identifying, and nervously informed him that he was 30kc wide. Without skipping a beat, Ralph said, "Oh really? How nice for you. Do you have anything else for me? If so, don't key your transmitter as you tell me your story, because I don't care to hear it. Have a nice day." Then he continued right on with our QSO. It didn't take much to get him going...

KL7OF

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »

The FAA says that an aircraft can't be classified as "homebuilt" unless the builder does at least 51% of the work...Many Homebuilt aircraft kits come with 49% of the work done...The FCC has no such rule.....Good thing..
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015