The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Wedding  (Read 5400 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »

XYL suggests I get up ar 4:00AM and catch the royal wedding before heading out to Deerfield. Maybe Mr. Mike could pipe it into the PA so we could all enjoy the royal event. How about a jumbo tron so we can watch it.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »

What are u smoking, Frank?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if the wedding became a Royal Disaster? Perhaps the bride would ware a brake away dress that could be triggered to pull off just before she steps upon the alter? The Groom could have on an inflatable suit that would fill up with helium and he would start to float away as her dress came off. Then the entire audience would stand up and then set down on wuppy cushions.

You get the idea,

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K2PG

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of hearing about the royal wedding! With all the problems we have in this country regarding the recent violent weather, our lousy economy, three wars in the Middle East, and political polarization like what Germany experienced in the 1920s, don't our media have more important things to report? Besides, didn't we throw those bums out some 235 years ago?

All of this proves the K2PG Theorem of the American Mass Media: You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar...but if you REALLY want to catch flies, you know what you have to put out...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

XYL just bustin my stones Bud
Before we got married I told her I go to deerfield twice a year so she has some fun with me.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of hearing about the royal wedding!

Turn off the boob tube.

I get most of my news via the local newspaper and the Nashville NPR station, and I haven't heard all that much about it. No-one is holding a gun to my head forcing me to read the tabloids, LCD-oriented magazines or click on the web links.

What I dread is the imminent political campaign season.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

Weddings are for suckers.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

Turn off the boob tube

I don't think Phil can get away from it since he is actively working in the broadcast field. I believe he taking care of three stations as their chief engineer. Poor Phil Cry Cry   He has to listen to all the crap that comes down the sewer pipe Tongue Tongue

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K2PG

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

Turn off the boob tube.

I get most of my news via the local newspaper and the Nashville NPR station, and I haven't heard all that much about it.

I don't have television, as the DTV reception is very unstable in my area and I refuse to pay for TV via cable or satellite, especially considering the outright dreck that prevails on the small screen these days. But every radio station in my area has been hyping that bloody wedding. Since I am chief engineer of a station cluster, I hear that crap non-stop during my workday. Corporate has even been pushing that rubbish onto our station Web sites. The local newspapers have run more than their share of articles about the wedding, but I just skip those.

It seems that the "stylebook" of the National Enquirer (if one exists) is the model for the American media these days, along with the sleazy Barbara Walters brand of "journalism".
K2PG

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if the wedding became a Royal Disaster? Perhaps the bride would ware a brake away dress that could be triggered to pull off just before she steps upon the alter? The Groom could have on an inflatable suit that would fill up with helium and he would start to float away as her dress came off. Then the entire audience would stand up and then set down on wuppy cushions.

You get the idea,

Or...if someone would just release a huge container full of cockroaches at the venue of the wedding. I don't mean those little "Croton bugs" (Blatella germanica) that city dwellers often find in their kitchens. I mean those huge "palmetto bugs" (Periplaneta americana), the unofficial state insect of Florida that is almost the size of a Volkswagen. And those things can fly, too!
K3ZS

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »

I was listening to our local blabber AM station, they were talking about how tired they were that all of the broadcast media were talking about this wedding.   They then talked about it for the next half hour!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »

I heard a news report this morning about a poll taken a few days ago in the UK.  Over 70% of the British public said they couldn't care less, although I'm sure the tabloid crowd is soaking it up like a sponge.  And I predict, within 6 months if not sooner, you will see sleazy tabloid headlines in this country in the supermarket check-out, hyping the royal marital problems and imminent royal divorce. At least one or two will be running "exclusive" stories exposing the confidential royal erectile dysfunction.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »

I'm ignoring the whole thing. It's just not interesting.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »

eh, it gives the american idle type viewers some drivel to watch during the day.

Wasn't there a PEZ dispenser of the bride and groom that just sold for like $15,000 or something?

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »

Soulds like a wonderful Monty Python sketch!  I have NO interest in the royal wedding and besides it is the same time as NEAR-Fest so I couldn't care less.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
w1vtp

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »

You get the idea,

Welll,  maybe not quite that way but maybe a wardrobe "malfunction?"  Why is it such a big deal with the ladies?  Yup, my XYL got up before the wedding got started just so she wouldn't miss all those inane comments by the talking heads.  Well, that's the reason I have my new shack -- so I don't have to look at such stiff;. At 74, I don't have any time to waste especially on that drivel.

Al
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »

I liked it.   A little pomp and ceremony does society good.
-Well, we can't have gladiatorial combat anymore.  Grin

I wonder how many HT's it took to communicate and regulate the timing?  From what I hear everything, and I mean everything was practiced and timed to the millisecond.   Suppose that means honeymoon events too?

Seem's I can't sleep much past 4:00am anyway these days, so it was a great way to kill the morning..

-so, tell me you haven't heard about Furgie? Diana? Chucky?.... 

RICK  *W3RSW*
Fred k2dx

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

I confess to watching it, but not for the more common reasons. I couldn't care less about the event, and with the state of the ecomomy in GB, spending 65m seems ludicrous. Even if it is paid for by the royal family, the money could better be used for humanitarian purposes.

I watched it just in case there was a disruption.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

Sherrie watched some of it before she went to work, and I watched some of the church service with her.  Otherwise, hadn't thought much about it one way or the other.

Apparently a LOT of people DID watch - a bit under 30 million in England alone and somewhat less than that here in the US - current estimates are 20 to 25 million.  Online streaming of the event set an Internet-wide record for the total number of people watching any streamed event or program.

More official ratings are supposed to be out this week.  My guess is the numbers will come in at around 80 to 100 million world wide when everything is tallied.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015