The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Messenger CB to 75 Meter Conversion  (Read 12427 times)
k9wek
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »

Here is how I put several Johnson Messenger CB radios on 75 meters.  This covers all of the tube type Messengers, One Two, and 223.  This is lengthy, but it covers all mods necessary to convert the receiver and transmitter into a 75 meter rig that really works.

For schematics see:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/ef_johns ... /index.htm

Dan K9WEK

K9WEK Johnson Messenger conversion to 75 meters AM:

The following makes more sense if you are looking at a schematic which can be found in Sams CB-1 for the Messenger 1 (White face) or CB-5 for the Messenger Two (Black face).  The Messenger Two has 4 double tuned IF transformers vs. only 2 for the Messenger 1, so receive selectivity is much better.  The Messenger 223 found in Sams CB-23 is the very same chassis turned sideways for a more modern look.  The transistorized synthesizer is not used on 75 meters, of course.

Receiver Conversion:

The original oscillator coil (actually a so called "impedance inverting" coil) was about the right inductance so I tapped it at 7 turns from the bottom for the cathode of the 6BE6 and put the 330 pF mica across it.  I used a 25 pF variable for limited tuning of the 75M AM frequencies.  The tuning capacitor was mounted in place of the original crystal switch.  Since the tuning capacitor is located across the chassis from the coil I connected it to the coil with a piece of RG-59 coax.  You could probably use RG-174 instead.  This parallel tuned circuit is coupled to the oscillator grid of the 12BE6 with a 47 pF mica or NPO ceramic capacitor.  A 22 K grid resistor was coupled to the transmitter final grid similar to the original circuit since this is part of the TR switching scheme.  I did away with the 820 ohm cathode resistor and coupled the cathode directly to the tap on the coil.

For the coupler from RF to Mixer I used a 4.5 MHz sound IF can from an old TV.  In another conversion, I rewound an old IF can to resonate at 3.85 MHz - not easy!  Just one tuned circuit (like the antenna coil) could be used here, and image rejection would be adequate since we will very likely be using a tuned antenna.  In this case replace the second tuned circuit with a 220 K resistor and couple it to the plate of the RF amplifier with a 100 pF cap.

For the antenna coil I rewound the original ceramic form with 48 turns of No. 28 enameled wire and put a 100 pF mica capacitor across it.  The antenna link was 2 turns of hookup wire.

To defeat the squelch circuit, remove the 12 K, 2 watt resistor (R35 in Messenger or R30 in Messenger 2) and ground the circuit node where it came from -- not the B+ end!  The Messenger 223 uses a different squelch circuit, so this doesn't apply to it.  Because I haven't converted a 223 I don't have any recommendation for it.

Transmitter Conversion:

The 7054 is basically a 12BY7 and the 7061 is practically the same as a 12AB5.  For a crystal oscillator see any Handbook circuit.  For an external VFO couple the 330 pF cap from the grid of the 7054 to a BNC on the rear chassis apron.  (I use a NorCal FCC-2 DDS VFO.)

Replace the cathode choke L9 with a 150 ohm resistor for self bias, and bypass the cathode to ground with a .01 ceramic capacitor.  Use a 150 K resistor for the 7054 screen resistor

The 7054 plate coil can be the same as the receiver antenna coil, again with a 100 pF capacitor across it. 

The final grid circuit is modified somewhat.  Grid choke L-10 is removed and replaced with a 15 K resistor.  A 10 K resistor goes in series with this resistor to ground.  The junction of these 2 resistors is bypassed to ground and goes through a 22 K to the grid of the 12BE6 receiver converter tube similar to the original hookup.

For the final plate circuit a pi network is used.  Use a 2.5 mH RF choke to feed B+ to the plate of the 7061.

The final plate coil was wound on a piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe (1 - 1/16 inch OD) 1 - 3/4 inch long.  Drill two small holes at each end to terminate the windings.  These holes are spaced to allow the winding to be 1 - 3/16 long.  They should be close to the top end to space the coil up from the chassis when mounted vertically.  The winding is 31 turns No. 24 enameled wire space wound using No. 28 wire as a temporary spacer.  This gives 17.9 uH with an unloaded Q of about 225.  The plate capacitance can be the original plate tuning capacitor if it is 4.5 to 100 pF.  Later Messengers only had about 65 pF.  These can be used if some fixed capacitance is added.  About 600 pF is needed for the output capacitance when feeding a 50 ohm load.  I used a 1000 pF mica compression trimmer.

Of course, short out the series 3900 ohm 10 watt resistor for more power to the final.

The VFO output level should give of about 1.5 – 2.0 mA final grid current that can be measured by the voltage drop across the 10K resistor in the grid circuit

When converted as described the OUTPUT power will be about 8 watts.

Dan K9WEK

k9wek
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »

Looks like the link got corrupted.  Try this one:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/ef_johnson/index.htm

Dan K9WEK

KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »

Hi Dan,
            Good going on the conversion! I had briefly looked at several I had around here, but other things had to be taken care of first.

Making one go mobile with leenyar to bump up the output a bit is my goal. I also have plans for putting one on 10M, and also maybe a Sonar F-3023; both quality built rigs worthy of a upgrade to a usable part of the spectrum.

Hope to get a chance to hear you on the air with it.

73, Phil
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »

Dan, this is pretty cool.  I worked a guy down in the southeast last year, maybe you Phil? who was running a converted CB rig driving an amp on 75 meters.  It was wild.  Good to see you on here Dan and I hope the Globe King is doing okay.
Say Hello to the NoonTime Forum for me.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:30 AM »

That was probably me. My White Face Johnson is still hanging in there. I used it about a month ago after I fixed it (bybass cap shorted).Mine is only a transmitter. I disabled the reciever.

Mike
KK4YY
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »

Dan,

I'm glad some of us take good notes. I did a Messenger Two conversion to 75M about 3 years ago and just pushed through it without writing much down.

It was a fun project and cost very little to do. I bought the rig on ebay for about $30 including shipping and did all the mods from my junk box. I worked on the receiver first and, after much toiling and head scratching, when I heard the first 75 meter AM signal come from the speaker I felt like a kid again. I just invented radio!

I'm now going to look at the things you've done and see if I can add any of them to my rig. Your choice of a 4.5 MHz TV IF can for the RF stage was great. I used an IF can from an old Plectron fire radio and now reading your post I think Plectron did the same thing in their design as you did. I retuned the can by putting trimmer caps across the input and output. I think this probably sharpened it up a bit and I've tried to broaden it out with resistors as I'm trying to cover the entire phone band of 400 KHz.

The antenna coil has been a sticking point for me and I never found the right size or tap point. The receiver is OK but not as sensitive as I would expect given that nice RF stage ahead of the mixer. I'm going to try your link scheme.

My plan was to use the radio for QRP portable from my camp so I was interested in operating it from 12 volts DC. Well, after trying a few noisy vibrator interrupters and trying to cut open and FIX a few noisy vibrator interrupters, I went with an external solid state Heathkit HP-13A power supply with a few mods. I know there are solid state vibrator replacements but I haven't try them.

I've made a few mobile contacts with the rig in my Jeep and a few more at my camp near the Catskill Mountains. Best DX so far was 300 Miles on 2 watts. I've got the rig putting out 4 watts now and maybe with some of your mods I can improve on that too.

Thanks for the good notes and taking the time to post them. Well done.

--Don
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »

That was probably me. My White Face Johnson is still hanging in there. I used it about a month ago after I fixed it (bybass cap shorted).Mine is only a transmitter. I disabled the reciever.

Yeah I think it was you.   Well it sounded pretty good.   I recall being impressed with your ingenuity.   Put a CB rig to good use. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W4AAB

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »

One of the local good buddy type "hams" made a statement when I converted a CB to 10m"That was a waste of a good CB radio". I told him " At least it is being used to talk with people with class now." Never had him to make any more comments. Now, to put one on 160m :-). I have mods from 73 on putting them on 6m AM and on 20m AM.
k9wek
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, Don.

I typically do exactly what you do – work from the junk box and do what it takes to make it work.  In this case I did take some notes after I was asked for them.

However, nothing is perfect and I see a couple of mistakes in the original post.

The pi network coil is wound on a form that is 1 – 1/16 inch diameter as stated, but that's not 3/4 inch PVC pipe.  It must be what is called 1 inch pipe.

Also, in the black face Messenger Two, do not remove the 12K 2W resistor to defeat the squelch.  That would remove screen voltage from the receiver RF and 1 st IF amplifiers.  Its probably OK to just cut the wire to pin 1 of the 12 pin rear dummy plug, or just leave the squelch circuit alone.  Right now I'm working on a Messenger Two, so I may have some more info soon.

The wire I wound the receiver antenna coil and transmitter final grid coil with must have been No. 29, not No. 28.  You can’t get 48 turns of No. 28 heavy formvar wire on these forms, at least not in one layer.  I did get 47 turns and that's probably OK.

Please bear in mind that there may be other small (hopefully) mistakes in the information I posted!  I’m trying to be as accurate as possible, but don’t believe everything anyone says, not even me!

73, Dan

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »

I'll let the discussion die down on this thread then move it to the Handbook section.

Thanks, Dan, for the article!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KK4YY
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »

Dan,

I made up the antenna and final grid coils on the original forms yesterday. I have some spare parts from a donor rig which I also bought cheap on ebay. It was tight but I did get the 48 turns on there... just. Probably slight variations in the coating make it so close. I used wire that was from an inductor salvaged from an old computer monitor. I measured it as #28.

I put the new coils in place and they worked FB. The antenna coil brought the receiver sensitivity up to where it should be and I was very happy about that! I had tried to duplicate the original scheme of a tapped coil and I never got it right. The driver coil did as well as the one I had made with a finer wire a while back so that one was an even trade.

I had made some changes from the original T/R circuit be better suit me but I'd have to reverse engineer what I did to even know. Suffice to say there's now a relay in there with a 12VDC coil. I also added a SPOT/OP switch so I could find the VFO and that also works to demod SSB. I use an old Johnson Viking Mobile VFO to keep it in the family. Even that I had to modify as the phone band is bigger than back when it was made.

I've got the receiver covering 300 KHz with the addition of a "main tuning" air variable. The original cap is used as a band spread now. Sensitivity varies across the band as 300 KHz is about 12% of 3800 KHz but the receiver is now hot enough that I don't absolutely have to track the front end. At 400 KHz this would probably be an issue so either tracking or flattening the response may need to be done.

Your receiver oscillator scheme was pretty clever to use the existing parts. I kept the original Modified Colpitts/Clapp oscillator design but changed the values accordingly by winding a new coil. It was very drifty and hard to compensate for the thermal variations of warm-up. I added a small fan inside that keeps the whole rig cooler and reduces drift.

It was good to hear that you "drilled and blasted" without taking too many notes. That means you had fun with it, like I did. We need to encourage others to experience the pleasure of converting Part 95 equipment over to Part 97. As an individual that started my radio experience on CB I consider it a matter of personal growth to do so. Especially considering that I spent so many years on CB running a DX-100.

Turnabout is fair play.

--Don
k9wek
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »

Update for using the original receiver oscillator coil in a tunable 75 meter oscillator.

The coil I used was from a Messenger One and had 24 turns.  I made the cathode tap at 7 turns by scraping the insulation off with a knife and soldering a piece of No. 28 wire wrap type wire to it.

It looks like the Messenger Two has a slightly different coil.  If that’s the case, it can be rewound.  The 24 turns should be spaced to fill the winding length of the form, and then sprayed with clear lacquer or brush painted with a thin layer of epoxy.

73, Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015