The AM Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:04:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless for TV and Ham? "Listening on the wireless outside speaker"  (Read 3619 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: April 23, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »

I have a set of earphones I really like. I also have a TV located below the bedroom I like to watch with  great sound. That same sound disturbs the XYL who kicks into  bed much earlier  than me. I have looked, but cannot find a small xmtr and rcvr I could use with the ear buds to listen to the TV.
An added plus would be a 2nd xmtr so I can "Listen on the outside speaker" while mowing the lawn.
Any thoughts?
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »

Doesn't the TV have an earphone jack?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »

I port the headphone output of my Flex into a Ramsey FM transmitter and run that into a couple of clip leads for an antenna. I listen around the house on a boombox in the kitchen or livingroom, or clip on my little sansa mp3 player with it's built in FM receiver and plug my ear buds into it and wander anywhere in the house. When I'm going outside, I cliplead the FM transmitter output to the center pin of my 2 meter antenna coax. Then I can hear it most of the way around the yard while doing outside work such as mowing the lawn. If I put the earbuds in my ear under a pair of noise protectors, it works pretty well even with the lawn mower.

There are also a number of programmable FM transmitters of various wattage available on that epay place. I think I picked up the ramsey kit for around $20 (not the synthesized fancy version). It drifts a bit, especially if I change the antenna load on it, but I keep a diddle stick next to it and zero it on the receiver frequency and it's good for a couple of sessions. Someday I'll get a synthesized one, but for now good enough is the enemy of better.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »

Hey that's a great idea Kevin!  I use these for mowing the lawn, the Ramsey transmitter would allow me to port any inside audio out to me in the yard, then I could port my favorite frequency from the R75 out (or globaltuners from the computer ... or those many FLAC files of my favorite music... or so many possibilities!)

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-90541-WorkTunes-Protector/dp/B0013092CS/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

AMI#1684
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »

Yes John, those should work fine, depending on how good the receiver chip in them actually is. Having an external antenna that sticks up might work better than my mp3 player that uses the earbud leads as the antenna, and that's usually scrunched up in my pocket, except for the bit going to my ears.

I port various ham rigs to the ramsey transmitter, and usually can tune the rig to a roundtable going on on one of the usual frequencies and have entertainment and keep up with what the gang is up to while doing the mundane stuff out in the yard. Content off the web and other stuff is available by plugging the transmitter into the shack computer as well.

I think eventually I'd like to latch on to a  synthesized version so I can have a more accurate frequency setting, sometimes the cheap kit drifts off the side of the channel and gets distorted unless I recenter it on the channel, especially if there's much audio, so I keep the deviation down also which gives me more headroom for drift.

But all in all it's been a satisfactory solution and I've used it as it is for about 7-8 years.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015