The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWV/WWVB/WWVH Usage Survey  (Read 15147 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:22 AM »

This is a link thru Radio World magazine about the survey www.time.gov is running.  If you use it, spend a few minutes and give them a reason to keep on running it.

73DG

http://www.rwonline.com/article/116078

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »

Thanks Dennis, I've just finished the survey.

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »

Just keep our ATOMIC clocks going.

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:00:05 AM »

They not only put out the standard signals on shortwave, they also run servers to sync your computer clocks with the atomic clock AND send out the radio control for the popular wall clocks (and desk clocks) that receive and sync. 

It's a good idea to support them by taking the survey!

AMI#1684
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

I wonder what the real cost to the taxpayers is for the WWV service???   I like the  voice on WWVH.....No matter where I am in the world I can find a woman that will speak to me in a civil tone.....
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »

The male voice sounds like he is from the Woodlawn Tenn area???

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »

Done. I use WWV/WWVH a lot for testing broadband RX antennas.
The female voice tells me conditions are open to the west.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

I didn't know that the WWVB clock on my dresser is an atomic clock...  I'm gona throw it away befor it melts down.

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »

I didn't know that the WWVB clock on my dresser is an atomic clock...  I'm gona throw it away befor it melts down.

klc
Too late.......are already glowing

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »

I don't use WWV as much as I used to for time-of-day service, since I can get accurate time right off the computer, frequently updated via internet, but I have a couple of "atomic clocks" synced to WWVB. I still use WWV as a frequency standard.

Politicians are pushing to cut public funding for broadcast services. For example, UK has already discontinued BBC World Service to the primary English-speaking world (N America, Australia and New Zealand), and House members in the US have voted to kill NPR and PBS. I suppose WWV and WWVB would be a logical target too.

NPR costs us a grand total of about 35¢/year per capita, and PBS about $1.00/year. WWV/B/H probably costs us less than 5¢ each per year. Compared to the 4- or even 5-digit sum extracted from an ordinary worker or retiree each year by the IRS, this is high-profile deception to make it appear that elected officials are "doing something" and calling on the public to make "sacrifices".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »

It took the survey. I find WWV useless. Time? I can get that from my computer or cell phone. 99.999 percent of the population does even know what shortwave is, let alone own a receiver to tune in WWV.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »

I have found 10 MHz WWV to be extremely useful to quickly verify calibration accuracy of measurement apparatus, also to zero beat 10 MHz TCXOs against.

Steve, 99.999 percent of the population doesn't know jack about technology, anyway. That's not justification to ditch the service.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

True. But 100's of millions use technology like cell phones and the Internet. They don't use WWV. Kill it.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »

Whatever the topic, one can always count on Steve to carry the N-1 moniker.

Not that it is a bad thing.

Back to the topic,   All those 'new generation' time sources rely on a single standard: GPS reference.  All controlled by our DOD.  One flick of the switch or failure, and that balloon is up & popped.

A second source (albeit also controlled by Uncle Sam) is a good idea.

73DG

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the spot on this survey.

I use the WWV/B service a lot.  It's hard to believe,  but my remote site has NO Internet or Cell Phone service.  Get time and Solar Indicies from WWV/H ... Quite useful,  and just another government service which I use,  and just kinna forgot about.  My chack clocks use WWVB.

I'll feel better all day just recalling this one good use of my taxes,  but, not necessarily yours).

TU,  Vic
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »

True. But 100's of millions use technology like cell phones and the Internet. They don't use WWV. Kill it.

Which, believe it or not, are mostly sync'ed to servers which in turn sync to NBS servers, sync'ed to, get this...  The Cesium clock WWV is sync'ed to.

It won't just be the shortwave transmitters killed....  Look at the cost savings of VOA vs. what it would be like to actually be ABLE to beam transmissions to a part of the world, instead of flying an airplane overhead spot beaming relays... From the United States. 

Cutting off a nose to spite ones face is still not best idea....  WWV does serve a purpose, even though you THINK you don't use it, most all time keeping apparatus in the USA is still in one way or another sync'ed to WWV.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »

It is obvious there are many resources available for time sync.  In contrast, I consider WWV and WWVH more valuable as a convenient frequency standard resource.   

I wish there was as convenient a voltage and resistance reference for calibration of DVMs as WWV is for calibration of digital counters and RF generators.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »

True.  The navy does the one via GPS...  My thought is this:

What about the delay from time of transmission to the time of reception.  If we are going to be THAT anal about being 'on time', doesn't the propogation delay figure in?

Or maybe the clocks / PC's, etc. take that into account.

I still believe NIST is the best source.  GPS / Navy time is covered everywhere, so is shortwave. 

I guess with the advent of cell phones married with GPS, maybe the phones are now getting sync'ed via gps instead of NiST...  I asked a friend who worked for Sprint Cell a few years ago how the system at Sprint was done, and he told me all via NiST servers.  This was pre-GPS cell's though.  Seems that would be the better way.

Maybe Steve's right, and we should shitcan it, only leaving the carriers out there Smiley

Lots of people will be upset if they do drop it, I'm sure...  An awful lot of the 'atomic clocks' and wristwatches have been sold, and I've installed a couple WWV to network time sync servers years ago...  They may or may not still be in service.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

I use it so I can hum along in musician's A, because I have perfect pitch and I can make sure they're on the mark.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

Lots of people will be upset if they do drop it, I'm sure...  An awful lot of the 'atomic clocks' and wristwatches have been sold, and I've installed a couple WWV to network time sync servers years ago...  They may or may not still be in service.

If the FCC gets its way, they are about to kill GPS and irradiate the public with EMI many times more powerful than anything from a cell phone held next to your ear.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/11/fcc-approves-lightsquared-frequencies-gps-now-in-danger/

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/03/01/will-fccs-political-favor-harbinger-hedge-fund-result-gps-interference

Note: I disagree that it's illegal to own a GPS jammer.  Only to operate it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »

No home computer that most of us use is accurate as WWV. I took the survey, thought it would never end even though it wasn't that big of a survey.

I thought at some point cell phones, regular phone systems, cable TV companies etc. were all tied into the WWV system? 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »

My take is that the more good & useful SW originating in the USA, the better.  In agreement with Don, there is an overload of crap from religo-casters and blowhards.

Radio time from WWV/H is totally cool in my opinion, and I can't remember how many times (pun) I've let it run in the background whilst working at the bench 'cause I'm too busy to find something else good.

._ _  ._ _  ..._     .._.  _...

73DG

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

Maybe it is N-1. I did post my own view (which is that I don't use WWV) - pretty much what the survey asked for. In the larger picture, I see time (no pun intended) and technology obsoleting WWV. I've also worked for an organization very concerned with time and frequency, and in my almost 30 years there, I've never seen a WWV receiver.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I guess with the advent of cell phones married with GPS, maybe the phones are now getting sync'ed via gps instead of NiST...  I asked a friend who worked for Sprint Cell a few years ago how the system at Sprint was done, and he told me all via NiST servers.  This was pre-GPS cell's though.  Seems that would be the better way.

Every cell tower I've seen has at least one GPS antenna on it. The carriers are very concerned with time. How else will they know how much to charge.   Wink  More importantly, considering the nature of how the cell system works, time synchronization of each cell site and each site in relation to the other cell sites is critical.

I already posted this in another thread ref computer clocks.

... in recent past versions of Windows, the time accuracy was poor, only within 1-2 seconds. This is because Windows did not properly implment NTP and the associated RFC. Unix/Linux OS do properly implment NTP and can maintain accuracy on the order of 10 mS over the Internet and something like a few hundred microseconds on a LAN.

You will not do much better (if better at all) using WWV via HF propagation.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »

I took the survey.

They would do well to publicize things like the time widget for websites...

Hope the keep it on the shortwave bands...

_-_-bear

PS. K4HX - you don't have a receiver in your shack that covers 2.5/5.0/10.0/15.0/20mHz?? That's a WWV receiver. Grin

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

PS. K4HX - you don't have a receiver in your shack that covers 2.5/5.0/10.0/15.0/20mHz?? That's a WWV receiver.

Sure, quite a few. None of them are tuned to any of those freqs. But I was talking about my professional experience, not the ham shack.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015