The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:07:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 Metros Hot Lately - But Where's the AM?  (Read 46709 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »

I have, of necessity, been hanging out a lot lately on 17 in the mobile (the FT100D has PLL crap out issues below 15.000 MHz).  I have really come to appreciate 17 - not very crowded, great propagation of late.  Have been working a lot of long haul QSOs during the evening commute home..JAs and LUs were pounding in tonight about 2200Z.  Had a run of JAs calling me on CW after a CQ de AJ1G/M the other evening. Good props to EU usually every morning, and good into 5 land and the west coast until well after dark.  Band is sometimes open to VK/ZL/KH6 in the very early afternoon.  Tonight I heard a very loud VE5 calling someone apparently to his west at about 0200Z on an otherwise empty band.

Will try to fire up the GRC-19 on 17 AM maybe tomorrow afternoon toward the upper end of the band.  Is there a recognized AM  calling frequency for 17 meters?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K5IIA

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »

a few am'ers meet up on 18.150 sunday mornings around 11:30 easter time.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

Will try to fire up the GRC-19 on 17 AM maybe tomorrow afternoon toward the upper end of the band.  Is there a recognized AM  calling frequency for 17 meters?

I've never seen a published band plan chart (there are several floating around) for a 17 meter calling frequency but http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm has one 17 meter frequency listed.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

While tuning around 17 in the mobile at about 1530Z today, heard a strong carrier on 18.150.   Turned out to be the Tron from HLR Mountain working someone who I could not hear .  Surprised to hear Tim on such a short haul on 17 from CT..maybe he was coming in via the long path?    Tried calling him on slopbucket but apparently not strong enough to break through....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WS4B
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »

I just received an e-mail from a slop bucket who does not apperciate the fact that I like to run 17 Meter AM in the evening. This is when band activity is sparse and not crowded at all.

I would love a evening time Sked (around 00:00 UTC) from anyone else that has an interest in using this band at that time. Perhaps a roundtable could get started. Noise levels are really low, and with me in Florida I usually have good condx to NE and the upper midwest at that time.

Let's get some AM activity going on 17!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »

I just received an e-mail from a slop bucket who does not apperciate the fact that I like to run 17 Meter AM in the evening. This is when band activity is sparse and not crowded at all.

I can understand that. The entire phone band is only 58 KHz wide. If the MUF is still perking at that time on 17 meters, 20 meters is just as good, if not better, and it's phone section is 200 Khz wide (Extra).

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:34 AM »

I would love a evening time Sked (around 00:00 UTC) from anyone else that has an interest in using this band at that time. Perhaps a roundtable could get started. Noise levels are really low, and with me in Florida I usually have good condx to NE and the upper midwest at that time.

Let's get some AM activity going on 17!

Hmmm, that sounds interesting to me - especially since 75 has been so craptastic as of late.  I'm game!  Like Pete said, 20 would be cool too (say down around 14.170 or 14.180, to get away from the clowns up around 14.286).

Ellen-AF9J
WS4B
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »

Ellen:

I just sent you an e-mail. We'll arrange a 17 Meter AM Sked at your convenience.

Brad
WS4B
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

" I just received an e-mail from a slop bucket who does not apperciate the fact that I like to run 17 Meter AM in the evening. "

tell him/her to use CW. That doesn't use a lot of bw.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »

" I just received an e-mail from a slop bucket who does not apperciate the fact that I like to run 17 Meter AM in the evening. "

tell him/her to use CW. That doesn't use a lot of bw.... ..

klc

This kind of email makes me want to jump in with some AM.  My TS-570 does okay on AM.  When do you guys run AM on 17?  I'll make it a point to be there!  (BTW, I *gasp* run Slopbucket too! Heck I run all sorts of modes!)

AMI#1684
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »

We were trying around 0000z on early Thursday night, but 17 was a bit too crowded, so we ended up trying on 20m.  But condx. weren't too good on 20 - we could barely hear each other.  We were going to try again this weekend, but the K and the A indices are pretty high, courtesy of a disturbance, so it may be a little iffy.  But, I'm still willing to give it a go.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015