The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 11:54:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1IA's GS35 Amp progress  (Read 13726 times)
KA2QFX

Mark

« on: March 24, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

Lots of progress recently...
Worth a look.http://home.comcast.net/~w1ia/new_page_8.htm

* parasupp2.jpg (38.39 KB, 640x480 - viewed 769 times.)

* 160coil2.jpg (36.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 657 times.)

* assembled.jpg (36.65 KB, 480x640 - viewed 821 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »

I think your plate suppressors have too much inductance but better too much than not enough.
I bet you could get away with 1 turn with that tight layout.

RG141 as an output lead. I would think you would need RG393.
Now fire that mother up.

I started silver plating tank components with my brother. I quickly found I could do the same thing at home so bought the chemicals I needed from him.
Now I can even plate hardware. 
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »

That's RG-142, a little heavier than 141.  It should handle the power better than RG8X and I've seen that survive heavy QRO.  Technically it should be heavier, we may upgrade it before going full strap.

The chokes are 1uH exactly, with 50 ohms in parallel.  According to Timmy we shouldn't need them at all. Smiley  They're wound from Nichrome strap for that warm glow when things go bad. LOL.

KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »

Frank,
If you could post something, I'd like to know what you're doing for plating. I used to use my exhausted darkroom hypo and a silver dollar anode. That was WAY too many years ago.  Worked OK. 

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »

That nichrome will glow especially on 10M if you go that high and 2-3T of copper strap is fine otherwise. Send the nichrome to that nut case Measures. Grin

RG-142 will handle all the power those tubes are capable of on HF. I use it everywhere.

http://www.therfc.com/powerrat.htm

Carl
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »

My Brother is a Jeweler and bought an electroplating kit from Gesswein. The silver plating solution is EarthGold Silver Plating Solution #210-0942. (www.gesswein.com) Cyanide free, ecologically Safe. It took 3 to 4 volts at a couple amps to plate copper straps. It took about 2 minutes to lay down enough silver to cover the copper.
He gave me a hunk of silver to use as an electrode as to not deplete the solution.
It seemed to work because it became pitted after a while.
He also gave me this cool electroplating cleaner powder than mixes with water.
That took about 6 volts to work and it really cleaned well. At first we were putting a nickle flash on the copper but decided to bag it after a while.
He never uses silver plate so he was happy to sell me the quart of solution and all the other stuff I needed.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »

I think 1uH suppressors are way too high. Consider the inductance of the tank coil on 10 and 15 meters. It will also de-Q the tank on the higher bands with the resistor across the inductor. I agree with Carl you will be able to toast your pop tarts on that heater. I think I had 1 turn of 1/2 inch wide brass strap 3/4 inch ID in parallel with 4 2 watt resistors in the big rig before and it was stable 80M through 10M.  It should work for you on the low bands so it is safe for now. When it looks stable try taking off 1T at a time. This will allow even shorter connections to the plate tune cap.
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »

I agree on the suppressors too. They were assembled with 4-40 hardware to be easily modified.  I would prefer to end up with a 1 1/2" "U" shaped loop. Approximately 0.1 -.15 uH.  I think the resistors would smoke well before we dropped enough voltage across the inductors to heat them up.  But it would be amusing. 

Carl,
There's no significance to the nichrome except we had it laying around, and it looks nice.  Does Rick Measures really recommend nichrome for such things?  It does make good meter shunts though.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »

That is a very impressive knob on the front panel. It gives the appearance of thickness. Really a very fine job on that amp!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »

Rich still preaches NiChr.

To be fair, I put it in my 4CX5000, and have NEVER had a problem with it taking off.  I bought it from Rich, made for my application.

Since then, I've gone to making my own with a hairpin shunted by R.

--Shane
KD6VXI

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »

Rich still believes in the tooth fairy and that parasitics are the cause of all tank circuit and tube arcs. At least JI had it half right.

The Drake amp suppressors are a good example of strap wound; B&W/Viewstar also did that with the PT-2500A.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »

Nice job, OMs!

That's quite a determined, ass-kicking expression, Tina.  If I'm in the DX window and you break in with that beast, ah ah ah... I gotta go - just gots a phone call...  Grin

T

* An amp named 'Tina'.jpg (36.65 KB, 480x640 - viewed 516 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »

I went and reviewed Measure's recommendations and anecdotes on parasitic suppression and can't find much to argue with in that regard.  However, I did some further reading into his multi-part QST article on amplifiers.  When I got to the part on IMD testing using a generic SSB receiver and a harmonica I had to rethink a few things.

I mean, here I am winding hybrid combiners so my sig jennys don't interact and all I needed was a Hohner?  Who would have thunk it. LOL...

Mark
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

Quite a few PC sig gen programs will do the two-tone thing. No hybrids needed.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »

I went and reviewed Measure's recommendations and anecdotes on parasitic suppression

It was long after that article that he got some bad acid and got kicked off several forums with his voodoo science.

If you want an earful call Eimac and ask about him Roll Eyes
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »

Quite a few PC sig gen programs will do the two-tone thing. No hybrids needed.

I'm not combining audio to modulate an exciter. I'm combining exciter RF from two very clean exciters. It's the cleanest way to get really good IMD measurments. I'm winding a new combiner because it needs to handle a little more than milliwatt power. Smiley Camawn.

Afterward maybe I can use it to broadcast ISB   LOL.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »

Got it. Quite different. Good luck.
W1IA

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »

Nice job, OMs!

That's quite a determined, ass-kicking expression, Tina.  If I'm in the DX window and you break in with that beast, ah ah ah... I gotta go - just gots a phone call...  Grin

T
That will be the day Tom....AT least with the array and that monster I will place in the top 10? You will have to match with Chuckles!! I wonder what he has in store for 75?

Just a couple of copper straps to make and adjustments to the suppresors and it time to ramp up the variac. By late next week it may be making power? Wink

Thanks George for the nice chrome wire covers for the tube vents...SWEEEEET! Grin

* amp1.jpg (2037.87 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 667 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

Just a couple of copper straps to make and adjustments to the suppresors and it time to ramp up the variac. By late next week it may be making power? Wink

... making power? Don't you mean smoke?   Remember the first time the PS came on-line? 
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »

This is a good time to remember there's no reason to poke around inside an amplifier like this one with B+ active.

Use handcuffs across the filter bank too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015