The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:29:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The difference between 160 and 75 meters - wow !  (Read 6982 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:20 AM »

I am in the process of bringing up a new class E rig that covers 160 and 75 meters.  Well, tonight I cobbled together enough of a tank circuit to actually work on 160 meters.

It's absolutely amazing!  The heat sink is cold, the MOSFETs are cold, the tank coil is cold, the output transformers are - yawn - cold - etc.

The rig is incredibly efficient on 160 - WELL over 90 %.  90% is typical for 75 meter operation.

I did try a couple of CQs, but the band was incredibly static ridden.  Someone tried to answer the CQ, but the static was so heavy I couldn't get a word!  Oh well - at least the rig works  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »

Nothing like a cold rig making the antenna hot!

Extending this concept further, now is the time to build a 500 khz E-rig and break the 100% efficiency barrier. You might be able to sell power back to the aether.    Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:13 AM »

Steve wrote;  "Oh well - at least the rig works"

Are you sure??
After all, the rig was stone cold.
Are you sure it was turned on??
How can you be sure that someone answered your CQ??
After all, you claimed you couldn't hear one word through the static.
Steve, you're beginning to worry me.

Fred

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:38 AM »

Yeah, the rig was definitely on  Cheesy  The antenna was really up - I was on the grey hair net earlier   Cool

I could see the guy calling me - in there on the SDR display, and could hear human sounds which were identifiable, but incomprensible  Wink

I'm suspecting the rig is in the 95% efficiency range on 160 meters.  I have other class E rigs on 160 which behave similarly.  Also, there is much less driver power involved on 160 than is needed on 75, and all of the power used by the driver is converted to heat.  Doesn't affect the efficiency numbers, but does contribute to the heat budget.

It would be nice to have this sort of efficiency (95%) on 75 meters, but we need another generation of MOSFET to do that - MOSFETs with much lower gate capacitance to reduce driver requirements, and even faster turn on times.  We'll be there eventually!!  The first MOSFETs I used almost 20 years ago were much slower and had a MUCH higher gate capacitance for the power (the IRFPG50).  Then came the MTP10N100E, which was discontinued.  Then the IXYS IXFH12N100 (very expensive) and now the FQA11N90.

Guess we'll just have to settle with around 90% on 75 meters for now, which still isn't too bad  Grin Wink Smiley Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:34 AM »

FB out here in Central Indiana on 160 this morning.  (7 AM EDST) Glad to have a QSO, Steve.  Things faded away by 7:15, but you were 20/9 initially.  73 Jeff

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »

Steve,
I'm not sure if you heard my message last night but when you were talking I heard a static on your signal that sounded like a loose connection or some sort of break down. You were quite strong and I didn't hear it in anyone else.
I think the 11N90s can run at higher power on 160 above 50 watts carrier per FET.
Heck I run almost 25 watts per FET using IRF840s and they are only 500 volt parts rated at 75 watts. I think I lost 3 FETs since '96. Last time I lost one was keying the rig into a broken antenna and didn't notice the VSWR pegged.
W2WDX
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »

I don't know Steve. Could you REALLY tell if the rig was working...

I mean ... no filament glow, no heat ...  no modulation transformer talking back to ya....

And besides I'd never trust one of those MFJ wattmeters you probably use...

Real radios glow in the dark ... and that's how I know its on! hehe

W2WDX
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »

I don't know Steve. Could you REALLY tell if the rig was working...

I mean ... no filament glow, no heat ...  no modulation transformer talking back to ya....

And besides I'd never trust one of those MFJ wattmeters you probably use...

Real radios glow in the dark ... and that's how I know its on! hehe

W2WDX

Eh???  I use a home brew wattmeter.  Real radios put out lots of RF and peg "S" meters  Grin Wink

WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »

Sounded real good tonight Steve.
K9PNP

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »

Eh???  I use a home brew wattmeter.  Real radios put out lots of RF and peg "S" meters  Grin Wink

Maybe put some neon bulbs on the antenna to make at least something glow.  So how do you keep the coffee warm??

Sounds like a nice rig.  Still trying to figure out a way to put up a 160 antenna here so I can use the boatanchors there.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »

Orange LEDs mounted near the MOSFETs? It's not right, that kind of rig is not intended to glow.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »

Actually, all of my rigs do glow!  Either they have illuminated meters, or there are lots of LEDs scattered around various circuits.  I  use lots of LEDs to show the presence of power, etc.

Was on 160 for about 4 hours this evening with the new rig.  So far, so good !!   Cool

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »

Didn't some pricey audiophool gadget come out a few years ago, a mic pre-amp IIRC, that had tubes that only ran the filaments, and all the electronics was actually done with FETs?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »

Didn't some pricey audiophool gadget come out a few years ago, a mic pre-amp IIRC, that had tubes that only ran the filaments, and all the electronics was actually done with FETs?

Yeah, I've heard of at least one like that.  I think it is a Behringer mic preamp.  It has a tube on display in a little front panel window but it doesn't really do anything.  It may be more than just fil. voltage, there may be some v. on the plate but it is so low (I think what is called "starved plate") that the tube is not really functioning the way a real tube mic. preamp should where the tubes have a few hundred v. on the plates.

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »

Sounded real good tonight Steve.

Thanks Frank - you should have jumped into the QSO  Smiley  The rig is coming along for sure!  The modulator is interesting - a 2 phase PWM unit.  So, there are two pulse width modulators operating off the same clock, 180 degrees out of phase.  Each is switching at 120kHz.  The outputs of each of the modulators are connected to their own input inductors as part of the output filter network.  The output sides of each of the input inductors are joined together, and there is a common first capacitor.  The remainder of the filter is a standard single channel Butterworth filter.

With this arrangement, the ripple frequency is doubled to 240kHz, just like a full wave rectifier.  This is much easier to filter.  That's the advantage of a 2 phase pulse width modulator, but it is much more complex than a standard single channel PWM.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015