The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-101A Need advice  (Read 3143 times)
w30kc
W3OKC

W3OKC

« on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

Hi, I am just getting interested in setting up a vintage AM and CW station.  I already picked up an Heathkit Apache and looking for an Rcvr to go with it.  I have been talking with a fellow about his SX-101A that he is interested in selling along with a R-48 speaker. He said it works fine but only issue is when you wiggle band switch there is a freq shift. Is this something I should be concerned about?  He is asking 350 for rcvr and speaker. I would appreciate any feedback since I am not that familar with the old equipment. I attached a photo of unit.

Thanks
Steve
W3OKC

* IMG_7077.JPG (1592.27 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 307 times.)
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »

Having owned an SX-101 mk 3a (includes 160m). in winter 1958 the major con to me was the max if bandwidth in AM.
more stable Osc. Better Bread slicer etc.

On the bandswitch the Osc wafers are ceramic and you may only have to clean these wafers!

I prefer the 101 that includes 160 M.

It's almost identical to the SX-100  except for Holligans attemp to make it mechanically and electrically much more stable. Two hands to pick up definitely.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »

That's about $200 more than it's really worth.

FYI I paid $40 for a decent condition SX101 MkIII at the Richmond Hamfest.   Needs a bit of work and de-nocotining, but it does work.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
kt4ae

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

My SX-101A has the same issue due to lack of exercise.  You just have to wiggle the band switch some when changing bands and it will settle down.  Cleaning helps but probably working all the switches every day would be be good too.

I have other Hallicrafters receivers including the SX-117 which is better in some ways but the SX-101A is my favorite for some reason.  When properly aligned it is stable and very sensitive.
When badly aligned (and with the wrong 12BY7 first osc.) it drifts and end to end tracking is poor.

This isn't likely to be the only issue.  Anything this old is a gamble and this is a heavy duty (no pun intended) starting project.

I agree, the price is way too high.

Harry, KT4AE
Mike K8WEU
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

Just thought I'd comment on my SX-101.  I have the model with 160 meters.  Owned it for about 2 years and use it with the companion HT-32 mostly on AM and some CW.  The receiver is very solid with good feel to the tuning.  Bandwidth, I am quite sure is variable in any mode.  I use 3 kc. most of the time on phone.  I wish the notch filter was perhaps a peak function, like in a Q-multiplier.  The AVC and noise limiter work well.  With the AVC off I often have to turn down the RF gain to avoid overloading.  Mine still has the original caps (though I have the parts and intend to recap it) and it still works well.  I have no trouble with the bandswitch, although other receivers I have the symptoms you mention.  I paid $200 for mine with a speaker.  That ball park should get you a good receiver.  I have several receivers -- one I recommend is the National 183D (general coverage -- probably not as good for SSB, but works well for AM and CW --just a thought)  73 mike  k8weu.
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »

The price is way too high but it is a good receiver.  I have a couple of the family and I prefer the earlier models that include 160; with some effort you could "convert" the 101A converter band to 160 meters.

I love the selectivity characteristic of this family of Halli receivers.  In AM it is designed to only receive one sideband at a time so the 5 Khz. position is equivalent to 10 Khz. selectivity in a "normal" receiver.  For proper operation the IF must be carefully aligned and if one or both of the 2nd conversion oscillator crystals have drifted you will have to slightly adjust the alignment procedure to compensate.

Until you get used to tuning these on AM the easiest way (assuming you have aligned it properly) is to set the pitch control to zero and tune the AM signal in SSB mode for zero beat which is the proper tuning point.  Then turn BFO off and choose the sideband with the least QRM.  During a QSO you can switch sidebands instantly to counteract interference from above or below.  I really like my SX-88 but I miss the instantly selectable sideband of the later models.

Rodger WQ9E
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »

I paid $100 for a SX-101A that was cosmetically near mint, been recapped, calibrator, original manual, and a full set of NIB spare tubes at Nearfest a few years ago.
The speakers are everywhere for $25-50.

I wouldnt bother about 160 unless you decide to get a TX that also works there.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015