The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Tube PW Rig - Pics - Anyone else?  (Read 21000 times)
k9qs

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments.

These rigs are really handsome; they all would make good desktop-
sized pix:) Jack, I've heard your 6L6 rig-it sounds great on the '129X.

Especially like the VXO on Tom K1JJ's rig- I've found the lack of it on mine confining,
especially on CW.

The 6T9 is a lower-power triode and power pentode in one package. One tube serves as the
driver/modulator, while the other one serves as a xtal oscillator/RF PA.
The driver triode in the modulator tube is driven by a 12AT7 mic preamp.
It's plate modulated, using a take-out p-p 6F6 audio xfmr, with one set of windings left unused.

Sorry, I don't have a scanned schematic. If I find one, I'll post it here.
It's on pages 193-196 of the 1969 Handbook.

Steve

\\\"Dogs have masters; cats have staff.\\\"
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »

Here is a shot of the 6SK7 Suppressor Grid modulated Oscillator with 1.5 Watts out next to the soon to be finished 807 Linear.

Mike WU2D

* 6SK7_807.jpg (491.26 KB, 2577x1848 - viewed 519 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »

Well the 807 linear works! I just need to lash it to a decent power supply. I will post the schematic. I set the 50 uA Radio shack meter to be 200 mA on the Plate and 5 mA on the grid using a DPDT SW and a couple of shunts.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K5WLF
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »

Nice job on those copper coils, there is a real art to do those well.
My friend John Rollins W1FPZ shared that with me a short time before he became a silent key, he was the master of that.

-Bruce

Bruce,

I'm going to be winding some copper tubing coils in the fairly near future. I've never done that before, so any tips on the art that you'd care to share would be much appreciated.

ldb
K5WLF
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »

Nice set up, Mike.

The 807 linear idea is too cool.  A quick 10 watts QRO when needed for those "special" moments... Grin

Maybe you can add a linear-in/ linear-out relay to demonstrate it's raw power on the next PW Net.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1UJR
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »

Nice job on those copper coils, there is a real art to do those well.
My friend John Rollins W1FPZ shared that with me a short time before he became a silent key, he was the master of that.

-Bruce

Bruce,

I'm going to be winding some copper tubing coils in the fairly near future. I've never done that before, so any tips on the art that you'd care to share would be much appreciated.

ldb
K5WLF

Happy to do so, I've got to say that the Zen Master of that art was my friend John Rollins W1FPZ, now a SK.

However, all is not lost, right before his passing W1GIG sat down with John at his home and he shared his radio tricks and treats with us. I think the coil winding story is on Part 2 about the 3:30 minute/second mark, along with the story of how a Navy helicopter became ensnared in John's massive dipole antenna!

http://www.w1ujr.net/w1fpz.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qG6i8uvPhY&feature=player_embedded
K5WLF
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 12:19:34 AM »

Bruce,

What a wonderful video about a remarkable man. His bio reads almost like an adventure novel. I watched all three parts of the video and enjoyed every minute. You and Tim are to be complimented for making the video to preserve a part of our amateur radio history. It's something that should be done more often with other pioneers of our hobby before we lose them.

Excellent coil winding techniques. I believe that now I'll be able to make a coil without creating a pile of copper scrap. And at today's copper prices, that's really handy.

Thanks for posting that, Bruce. And, as a fellow videographer, let me say "Great camera and editing work".

ldb
K5WLF
kg8lb
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:57 AM »

That only matters if your are running more than 50 Watts.

Fred
[/quote]

Kind of like lug nuts on a 1/2 ton pickup carrying only 1/4 ton. Smiley The good ol boys regularly run 3 or 4 out of the customary 5.
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »

Bruce,

What a wonderful video about a remarkable man. His bio reads almost like an adventure novel. I watched all three parts of the video and enjoyed every minute. You and Tim are to be complimented for making the video to preserve a part of our amateur radio history. It's something that should be done more often with other pioneers of our hobby before we lose them.

Excellent coil winding techniques. I believe that now I'll be able to make a coil without creating a pile of copper scrap. And at today's copper prices, that's really handy.

Thanks for posting that, Bruce. And, as a fellow videographer, let me say "Great camera and editing work".

ldb
K5WLF

Hi again Idb,

Glad you enjoyed it, we were most fortunate to record it as John had been in failing health for some time.
Little did we know that next month he'd be a SK.
As you say, he lived quite a life, sailor, aircraft pilot, ham, geologist, marvelous home brewer and restorer, and a real gentleman.
Perhaps even more significantly he was know for his generosity to others, he was always building and giving away rigs to get and keep folks on the air, even Bill Orr W6SAI send him a rig to restore, and later keep.

I was privileged to be be the recipient of John's largess when he gifted me the rig he built for Marshall W2ER -->> http://www.w1ujr.net/w1fpz_photo_essay.htm

Later, I came to own the former Bill Orr Gross transmitter -->> http://www.w1ujr.net/restore_gross_cb-25.htm

Both won blue ribbons at the AWA Conference, a tribute to John's work more than my restoration efforts.

Thanks for the kind words about my friend, really now through the video, all of our friend,glad that you too could share some of his life.

-Bruce

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »

For my next act.....I'm planning a little PW rig using 954 and 955 acorn tubes.  Anyone else tried this?  I have a number of these little tubes that need to be used for something worthwhile, not just take up shelf space.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »

I remember Bobbi and recall she kind of dropped out of sight on the Boatanchors mailing list as well.  Is that list still active?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015