The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:31:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3878 crew bone up for Extrie  (Read 11795 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 09, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

Or could this be 3892?

http://www.youtube.com/user/dsarti1#p/u/14/25BocRMoptg      Grin Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »

Go easy on him.  I hear tell Junior Samples got started the same way!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »

I think the guy is great! He has a video on there about caning meat. How can anyone hate him?

Thanks for sharing Don.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »

How can you anyone hate him?

I don't know, Terry. By the looks of his forearm his wife ain't been happy lately!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

How can you anyone hate him?

I don't know, Terry. By the looks of his forearm his wife ain't been happy lately!

Well if you look at some of his other videos where his shooting buddies come over, it would look like girlfriends or wives may be way down on the list of priorities. I think I would get the best meal over at his house but how healthy it may be, is another question Grin Grin

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »

I think I would get the best meal over at his house but how healthy it may be, is another question   

Now you're talkin'! Sounds like a great guy.... shootin', grillin', eatin'.....!!!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

Now be nice - it takes a BIG man to tackle the Extrie... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD0HUX

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:20 PM »

THE EXTRA {THE HOLY GRAIL}OF HAM RADIO Grin
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »

Or could this be 3892?

If you consider the fact that they're actually studying the Technician manual in the video ... it probably is them.  Wink

--- Post No Bills ---
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »

Well, he's doing it in an encouraging and friendly manner. Can't ask for more than that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »

Reminds me of these guys.   

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »

Reminds me of these guys.   

SHEEEEEAT that don't beat nuthin'

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »

Giving the devil his due, the guy does restate some of the technical topics he reads from the ARRL book, in a down-to-earth manner that is probably easier to understand than by just reading the text.  I'm not sure if the hillbilly image is a put-on or if he is revealing himself in his native state (no pun intended). Remember, many viewers identified with Archie Bunker and failed to see the satire involved.

And yes, he is attempting to "teach" out of the Technician question pool, but I'd bet some of those questions and answers he presents in his lecture would baffle more than a few of to-day's Extras. I just hope that when I used to teach school, my presentation wasn't quite as dull and boring as this guy's. I doubt he could hold the attention of a classroom full of high-schoolers for even five minutes.

But he also perpetuates a few of the common hammy hambone misconceptions about radio, for example, the bit about working the transmitter into an unmatched coat-hanger for an antenna resulting in "feedback" that will send the RF back into the transmitter and burn it up. I remember hearing that same old story all the way back to my novice days, about the reflected power from a high SWR coming back into the transmitter and causing the plates of the tubes to glow red.

I think he is hilarious, but I question whether it is really in our best interests to see the good-ole-boy/Hammy Hambone/11m image of amateur radio promoted to the general public.  Just one more thing to make our hobby seem "faintly embarrassing".

- - -
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »

about the reflected power from a high SWR coming back into the transmitter and causing the plates of the tubes to glow red.

You mean..... it really don't work like that?
Shazam!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »

Nope... but I'm sure Walt could explain that better than I could.

- - -
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »

I just hope that when I used to teach school, my presentation wasn't quite as dull and boring as this guy's. I doubt he could hold the attention of a classroom full of high-schoolers for even five minutes.

Well Don, you need to view his lectures from a Northerner point of view. We think all people in the south are stoned out on moon shine and that is the audience he is addressing. You know that lazy good for nothing sitting on the rocking chair on the front porch sipping moon shine, petting the dog with a shotgun across the lap type Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »

I'm reminded about the recent post of hams having a hard time getting a date. If women see this it could set us back fifty years Undecided Undecided

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »

He's got two milking goats and a flock of chickens.  A woman could do worse!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K5IIA

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »

I just hope that when I used to teach school, my presentation wasn't quite as dull and boring as this guy's. I doubt he could hold the attention of a classroom full of high-schoolers for even five minutes.

Well Don, you need to view his lectures from a Northerner point of view. We think all people in the south are stoned out on moon shine and that is the audience he is addressing. You know that lazy good for nothing sitting on the rocking chair on the front porch sipping moon shine, petting the dog with a shotgun across the lap type Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

yall dont do that up there?? guess its to cold to sit on the porch.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 09:33:42 PM »

Haven't you heard? We have just begun to enter into the second half of the twentieth century. Now the people are stoned out on "Mary Jane", while commercially produced moon shine is sold legally in liquor stores.  Instead of sitting on the porch with the shotgun across our laps, we are now allowed to bring it with us into taverns and bars, unless the owner of the establishment has a "no guns allowed" sign posted at the entrance.

- - -
k3zrf

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 06:35:17 AM »

Watching this fellow in the video I wonder why his left arm is all the way in to the bib overalls....maybe he's counting his change? Shocked

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »

Yeah Dave, I was wondering when someone would pick-up on that...
                              Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:07:14 AM »

A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Get a life.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »

You know that lazy good for nothing sitting on the rocking chair on the front porch sipping moon shine, petting the dog with a shotgun across the lap type

Hey watch it! Yur hittin' close to home wid that one!

Yes Brandon, we do some porch sittin' visitin' pickin' sippin' here in the North too!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

I resent that! I do not have a dog! And you forgot the corn cob pipe!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015