The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Body Found Atop Broadcast Tower in Michigan  (Read 15542 times)
John Holotko

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »

Must be a slow day in Woodlawn.

Should we mention to him that Daylight Savings Time is this weekend  Grin

Careful, if you do you may be responsible for starting the biannual DST rant on amfone.net.    Always a fascinating thread  Roll Eyes

Psst... I hate DST. But I'll keep it a secret.  Grin

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
K9PNP

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:08 AM »

I used to be able to pick up WLS at this QTH in the middle of the day during the winter months.  Even with my old receivers they are not there any more.

But they are hardly worth listening to anyway.  Gone are the famous DJ personalities and announcers of the 60s.  Last time I tuned them in, it was nothing but talk radio drivel and loads of commercials.

Normally listened to the Dick Biondi show evenings on the S-85 on a piece of wire in the shack.  Different times then, before SE Asia got busy.  Can't hardly hear them on the 80M antenna now.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KC4ALF

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

I miss KDKA. Used to boom hear in the Shenandoah, at least I get CFZF am740 out of toronto most nites. A little Jack Benny, The inner sanctum etc.
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »

Dick Biondi is still on the air at WLS FM 94.7 from 7PM to 11 PM. He's still going strong at 78. 

Lou
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

Dick Biondi is still on the air at WLS FM 94.7 from 7PM to 11 PM. He's still going strong at 78. 

Lou

Looks like the broadcast industry doesn't have a good retirement program if he's still at it. Maybe he just likes to work? I remember him from WKBW. He's from the age of the pocket protectors Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

If you ever lived in the metro New York area over the last 70 years, and listened to the radio, you might remember the "Vicar of Vintage" Danny Stiles who recently past away at age 87.
Danny Stiles

Click below for lots of great pictures and audio:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K9PNP

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »

Lou

Looks like the broadcast industry doesn't have a good retirement program if he's still at it. Maybe he just likes to work? I remember him from WKBW. He's from the age of the pocket protectors Grin Grin

And so are a bunch of us!!!  Some of us are too stubborn or too poor to retire.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »

I miss KDKA. Used to boom hear in the Shenandoah, at least I get CFZF am740 out of toronto most nites. A little Jack Benny, The inner sanctum etc.

Actually, it's CFZM. I haven't tried to pick them up on the AM radio yet, but I listened a little to their internet stream. A refreshing change from the drivel that pretty much dominates the AM band these days. I wish them success with their new format.

I had predicted the frequency would go dark once CBC abandoned it, and the channel would fill up with QRM from all the little toy post-sunset local stations competing with each other in the chaos. I used to sometimes hear CBC come in loud and clear in Cambridge, right after WCAS signed off at sunset.

http://zoomerradio.ca/listen-live/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Today I went out to the backup site owned by Richland and ran into one of the guys who found the body.

He said the guy had managed to climb up to an unused analog TV antenna where he would have dosed with tons of R.F. from the digital TV antenna all around.

They found him about 100 feet below that spot where he had fallen.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015