The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B+ Series Resistor  (Read 4638 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »

The k1JJ 813x813 rig schematic shows a 25 ohm resistor is series with B+, before the mod transformer.  I assume this is a protection resistor in case of arc-over etc.  Is this correct?

At 25 ohms it will only have a small voltage across it but, of course the is a 2KVish potential to ground.  I bought one of those anodized chassis mount resistors but I am wondering if it would breakdown right away and zorch.  Perhaps this resistor should be physically removed from the chassis/ground.

Rich
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »

YES!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:15 AM »

YES!

Ok then.

Rich
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

Rich,

I usually use a pair of ceramic stand-offs to mount the resistor. If you get fancy, add a third stand-off and put in a single fine wire from the braid of an RG/8U coax cable as a HV fuse.  Space the pillars about 2" apart for this fuse so when it goes, the arc breaks quickly.

Those two features definately help to save parts from huge surge currents.  

I also add a fine wire fuse in series with the diode stack before the filter caps. I've not lost a diode stack in years using it. Bear in mind that in this position, over time the fine wire fuse may fatigue from filter cap turn-on current surges and eventually open up for no reason.  

Use two fine wires in parallel if the single one is not enuff.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »

T

Yeah like 8 gauge.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »

Use only a real vitreous enamel type wirewound for this as its only purpose in life is to absorb the current surge long enough for the PS fuse or breaker to open. The cement resistirs will literally explode at times if there is enough stored energy involved.

In an amp this resistor should be mounted at or close to the base of the plate choke and bypassed at the PS side.

Commonly referred to as a surge or glitch resistor and found in commercial service amps and the better commercial ham amps. The real big amps with tubes that require 2 people or a crane use a more sophisticated method to instantaneously dump the load.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »

...add a third stand-off and put in a single fine wire from the braid of an RG/8U coax cable as a HV fuse.  Space the pillars about 2" apart for this fuse so when it goes, the arc breaks quickly...

I also add a fine wire fuse in series with the diode stack before the filter caps. I've not lost a diode stack in years using it. Bear in mind that in this position, over time the fine wire fuse may fatigue from filter cap turn-on current surges and eventually open up for no reason.  

That reminds me of the old Italian colonial houses in Eritrea as I recall from the late 1960s.  You literally "mended" the a.c. mains fuses. The "fuse" consisted of two insulated blocks, and you purchased a roll of fuse wire that looked similar to a roll of small diameter solder, different gauges for different current carrying capacity.  When a fuse blew, you removed the remnants of the old wire (carefully - the mains voltage was  240v @ 50~) and strung a new wire in its place to bridge the gap and presto! a new fuse. The whole thing mounted on the wall, completely in the open with all the wiring and uninsulated terminals fully exposed.

Standard cartridge fuses consist of a length of fine wire, but the voltage rating is limited, I suspect, by the the glass cylinder that encloses the fuse wire.  When it blows, the vaporised metal leaves a thin deposit on the glass envelope, which continues to conduct if the voltage is high enough, until the metal deposit burns away and/or the glass shatters.  Open-wire fuses would inherently make good HV fuses.

Many times I have used standard glass cartridge fuses JS wired in series with the plate caps of 866As and 872As when the main power supply fuse would sporadically blow. Use a current rating about the same as the actual DC pulled from the supply, increasing the size if the surge current immediately blows the fuses as the filter capacitor charges.  Insert a 3rd fuse rated slightly higher than the actual plate current in the +HV line between the output capacitor and the load.  If the 3rd fuse blows, that means the problem is in the amplifier or wiring, or the bleeder is shorting.  If one of the fuses to the rectifier plates blows but the other remains intact, that indicates it is probably that rectifier tube flashing over internally. Replace the blown fuse and try again, and if the same one blows a second time, that pretty well isolates the problem. If it is intermittent (as are 99% of my radio malfunctions), just leave the fuses in place and operate the rig normally until the problem recurs and you can catch it in the act.

I have found that to be the quickest and least frustrating way to troubleshoot a flaky intermittent fuse blowing problem. Definitely worth the cost of a couple of packages of fuses.

Speaking of fuses, has anyone noticed the prices these days of old fashioned screw-in mains fuses?  I still use them in the a.c. line to the transmitters, and the HF-300 rig uses them as HV power supply fuses, as do BC-610s.  A box of 15, 20, 25 or 30 amp fuses used to cost couple of bucks at most, but now they cost about that much apiece!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015