The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:20:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New England AM QRP Net 3PM Sundays 3.870  (Read 30103 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

Todd,

Good memory, OM.   Yes, I believe Licharoni built the first cakepan 6AQ5 rig for the PW Net. Then later Carl and Pete/W1VZR came up with a design and sold a bunch of kits for both transmitters and regen receivers.

The old PW Net was quite the effort to launch, didn't operate long, but it started a lot of building activity for years to come. I still have a pile of schematics that many of the guys sent me of their own designed rigs.  I estimate at least 35,  less than 10W PW rigs were built in three months, during 1996.

Let's hope PW activity continues on for another 15 years!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1UJR
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »

Some history: There is a legacy to the net that goes back to 1996. It's nice to see a new version rise again thanks to Bruce. Here's my personal PW QRP certificate from March 17, 1996. Fifteen years ago.   Everyone  who built a homebrew PW rig (about 35 guys total) and checked into the net received one.  There's still quite a few little PW rigs around. There were many endorsement awards for working other PW stations around the country when the net was not in session.  Notice the net slogan: "No mall is too small."   Grin

I like the simpler and more flexible structure the net has today and hopefully it will have longer longevity if everyone keeps the interest up.

T

Cool Tom, that was quite the effort to get that drafted up!
You are truly The Man!

Agreed that the net seems to be doing quite well, thanks to all of those who take the time to participate, listen HARD, and put interesting new/old rigs on air.

Run What You "Brung"
- Home-brew stuff is cool, if you're running that, please share the details with the rest of the folks on the net.
- Vintage commercial or newer car is welcome, the point is to show how LOW a power level you really need.

Power Levels
- 20 watts or under, its the spirit, not the power level, be sure to tell the rest of the boys how LOW you can get, makes it interesting.
- Perhaps we should have a mention for the person with the LOWEST power level to check in.

Net Control Station - Alternates Needed
- Nancy will, at some point, want me to be away from the radio from 2:30 to 4PM on Sundays.
- Need at least two back up stations to share the load.
- I'd like to suggest/draft/hornswaoggle Al W1VTP, who else would like to step up to the plate?

What Else?
- We've been running the "back to net control format", with the NCS running higher power to guard the freq, seems to work ok?
- Do you fellows like the question format, we've asked participants to do a bit of "Show and Tell" with the others on the net.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »

Net Control Station - Alternates Needed
- Need at least two back up stations to share the load.
- I'd like to suggest/draft/hornswaoggle Al W1VTP, who else would like to step up to the plate?

Bruce,

Sure, I'd be glad to fill in for the PW Net maybe once a month. Count me in as a "guest host" when you can't be there.   As late spring and summer arrive, I will most likely be out sailing on Sunday, but until then just send me an email a few days ahead and I'll cover you or for whomever needs it.  I could even fill in this Sunday if you want to take a quick break.

BTW, I know Rich/ K1ETP  does a great job, as he was an NCS back during the old net.  See what he says too.  The Tron is another possibility.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »

Hi Bruce,

I can be NCS from time to time also.  Just was net control of the Gray Hair Net last night - do that once a month.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1UJR
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »

Tom and Steve, thanks for your kind offers and suggestions, sure would make things easier and I think more interesting for the patisipants in the net if they had a little variety in the NCS department. :-)

Wondering about summer conditions Tom, how did work with the first PW net. Did you fellows carry on in the summer, or take a break?

Sorry I've not been on the board much to discuss and follow this thread, the biz is really keeping me busy. We in the middle of adding a second server, more workstatons, etc. Altogether think we now have 14 computers and at close to a dozen printers and such on the network. We've switching service management software, running parallel with our existing system for a month before the go live. Also doing beta testing for a CRM company who is interfacing their product to our new software. Sometimes I think we don't so much service cars anymore then we manage IT assets. :-(
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

Bruce,

The first net took a break in the late spring. We were all on almost every day for the first three months working all kinds of PW rigs, but burned out. Later in the fall there was some activity, but we moved on to different projects and used the PW rigs randomly - when we felt the inspiration.

It's a good idea to share the NCS load with as many stations as possible. This way no one will feel pinned down and obligated to run it. This is so important for longevity. We all run in hot and cold motivational cycles as you know.

Yes, the computers are starting to run our frickin lives.

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »

Usually I change my operating habits after each Deerfield. I do other things after Spring while fall Deerfield starts my radio season.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »

The propagation at net time has been excellent for NVIS and all New England stations , even the real PWers are FB OM.

Also it looks like we may be settling on a net frequency around 3870 based on the comments last Sunday.

Don't forget that the time changes this weekend! Don't miss the net.

Let's hear some interesting PW rigs! We will listen...Hard.

A few Ideas in line with some of the rigs we have been hearing:

1. A Crystal controlled 6J5 with an absorption loop and carbon mic on the tank coil. W1VTP could build this!

2. An off the line 12SA7 Hartley Phono Oscillator with a D104 - but feeding a 50L6 LINEAR CAWMAWN! 

3. 4049 feeding a IRF510 modulated by a 2N3055

4. A 100% peanut tube PWM rig including the clock and ramp generator.

5 Classic 6L6 oscillator with a 12AX7 6L6 Heising modulator.

6. A 6AQ5 screen modulated by a bridge tied sound card.

7. A 1496 AM Modulator into a high speed OP-AMP

8. Rare and weak WS-19 in AM Mode

9. a BC-611 or MAB Walkie Talkie

10. And finally - a 6L6 inverted in a Pisolene coffee can, modulated by 4 Carbon microphones in the cathode.

These are the good old days of AM
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 07:01:32 AM »

One WS19 coming up for tomorrows net - I get about 7 watts out of mine on AM.  The dyno PSU sounds like a high speed rock tumbler but still cranks out the volts. Brought it to my first Hosstraders in around 1989.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »

Chris,

Cool on the WS-19. I have never tried mine on AM but it works slick on CW. The modulation scheme is very worthy of discussion.

I have heard of the problems of setting up control grid modulation on Tetrodes like the 807 which the WS-19 uses as a final. Control grid modulation of the 807 seems like a strange way to go. But the WS-19 overcame the variables in a very elegant circuit which involved a super sharp cutoff driver tube the EF-50, that is gain controlled by RF sampling. This control voltage which is delayed is used to maintain a constant pre-determined drive to the grid of the P.A. which is essential for maintaining modulation over variable tuning conditions and a wide coverage band with imperfect antennas.

Mike

* ef50.png (137.99 KB, 224x475 - viewed 412 times.)

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »

Just checked out the WS19.  RX is a s hot as ever and sounds good.   I had been using a telephone carbon mic element shoehorned into the original Brit PTT mic housing along with a 1.5V AAA cell for excitation and a 500 ohm series current limiting resistor that sounded very yellowly,,,the AAA is who knows how many years old and is very PW now.  The original Brit mic  took a dynamic element, but none of those I have on hand work.  JS'd in some line level audio from the rat shack EQ driven by a Peavy dynamic mic and it sounds HI HI FB OM- and looks quite good on the scope.  Good pos/neg peak balance - seems to go into symmetrical pos/neg clipping when overdriven and its getting near 100% cleanly on peaks without flattopping.  Not fussy WRT to final tuning like the Command set - looks clean at max carrier about 7-9 watts out.  Doing about 15 W out in CW.  Should be fun on the net tomorrow.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

Chris,

Hey that WS-19 sounded great! Now I have to get mine going on AM. Yes I have a cut off WS-19 mic and it is a Dynamic - that threw me for a loop when I measured it! I thought it must be carbon. The WS-19 was way ahead of the US designs and is truly the first all COTS radio extensively manufactured and used in wartime. The same amount of functionality UHF XCVR, HF XCVR AM and CW and Intercom in a WW2 US setup would be 5 boxes and would weigh 20 times more!

Big group on the net today at 3PM and it took about a half hour before the band started working because of the Daylight Savings Time switch.

Next week I should have the 6SK7 and 807 Linear combo working.  It was basically functional today but I did not have a proper power supply and on voice peaks the HV was dipping to 350 VDC. The book says I need at least 600V and to set the bias for around -35VDC for Class AB. I have the screen clamped at 250 VDC.

73's Mike WU2D

W1UJR
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »

Sunday New England PW AM Net

Same time - 3:00PM EST

New frequency - 3.870 MHz - with apologies to our "rock bound" brethren

Net Theme - "Limbo Contest" - while transmitting, reduce down your power by half, then half again, then come back to
normal level when you are ready to sign. Let us know what power levels you are running. This should be interesting!

Run What You "Brung"
- Home-brew stuff is cool, if you're running that, please share the details with the rest of the folks on the net.
- Vintage commercial or newer car is welcome, the point is to show how LOW a power level you really need.

Power Levels
- 20 watts or under, its the spirit, not the power level, be sure to tell the rest of the boys how LOW you can get, makes it interesting.
- Perhaps we should have a mention for the person with the LOWEST power level to check in.

Net Control Station - Alternate May Be Needed Today
- Nancy has requested that we make a trip down the coast tomorrow, so I may not be on, or checking in later.
- The German restaurant and deli down in Washington, Maine are calling us...singing that wonderful pierogi song.

What Else?
- We've been running the "back to net control format", will stick with that.
- Let all know what you are running, any special background on the rig, etc.

-Bruce

* Screen shot 2011-03-20 at 1.21.51 AM.png (50.9 KB, 181x204 - viewed 410 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »

Sorry I can't make the party today.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »

smaller turn out but otherwise fun as usual.  Al/W1VTP took the reins after a few minute late start of the net.  I think we had at least 2 go arounds in the net while I was on a phone call.  Turnout was less if that's the case.

Signals at my QTH were all over the place. Most everyone was readable. There were maybe one or two who were in my noise level.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w1vtp

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

Bruce

I didn't read your post in time so maybe you can pick up the Limbo theme next time.  I was running  between dinner prep and the net.  Heard all of the first round but then things got busy here.  Nice feature of the new shack. l I don't have to go out doors to go from the shack to the kitchen.
Tasty dinner: Ham steak, baked potatoes, turnip.  I sent you my copy of the log - again, not very well organized but I think it was all there.

I was actually thinking of putting a 3 dB pad in the system to drop down to 500 mW but didn't 'cause I had the semi-ncs thing to do.

Al
W1UJR
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

Al, thanks for picking up the slack!

We'll do the Limbo thing on a future net.

I've been converting the business IT dealer management system over to new software...which has also of course meant new hardware - I'm now on a first name basis with my Dell rep, and they've been very cool about sending out hardware next air day and paying for a large part of the cost. With something like 12 computers, and countless other peripherals, its a huge project for one person.

Since all this requires the server to be down, I can't do it during the day, and I've already spent 3 weeks of nights working on the project - take the server down - install software, take the workstations down - install software - go through countless Microsoft updates, reconfigure all IP addresses - wait - IP conflict, find the offending unit, change IP address, redo IP map and send off to software vendor so they can do remote access....you get the picture.

The long and short it is that I was at the office from 9AM until 9:30PM doing IT work, lots of coffee and Red Bull. So no radio time. I could take the network off line for about 4 or 5 days, hire a couple of assistants, then I'd be all set, but the big challenge is that we're installing and running the new software in parallel with our existing system until our go live date late next month.

A few things I've learned - 1) Microsoft Windows 7 is a pretty bulletproof program, 2) Microsoft updates their software about 10 times more often than Apple, I was going back and installing updates on systems I had just cleared a few hours earlier, 3) Dell is a great company to work with - just buy the business class support or you'll be talking to India, 4) I know a lot less about accounting, price matrices and inventory management than I thought I knew.

Not to complain, I'm learning a lot, keeping out of trouble, but defiantly losing radio time.
When we're all done we'll have a paperless shop, just invoices coming in for parts and going out with clients, everything else is done on the software. Even the vehicles are read into the system with a wireless handheld device. I love technology, which is a good thing or I'd really be hating this now!

Thanks fellows, see you on next week!
longle SWL
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:55 PM »

More power to you! I spent the last 12 years before retirement traveling around the country trouble shooting and upgrading systems for Fortune 500 companies. Thank goodness those days are behind me. I'm full time retired now and only occasionally venture out to help out one or two of my old-time clients. And of course I'm the obligatory support rep for the relatives.  Wink

Larry
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

Bruce,
I know what you're going through, been there, done that.  Back in the 90's just when the dot com industry exploded I took a job with a small start up video streaming company.  The owner was a friend of mine and I helped in his venture, invested too.  I did his IT work and other systems engineering and kept things going.  We were installing v-servers in various parts of the US.  Most of my time was spent at HQ but occasionally I was out on the road.  For the time I was at HQ it was a normal 9 or 10 hour day but there were a good many times a normal day would turn into 18 or more hours rolling into the next.  Many times I never went home only to start the next day in the same clothes.  I had an office and brought in a cot and slept there to catch a few ZZZ when I could. Then the dot com bubble burst.  He sold the company and I ended up where I did and am now.  The outcome was OK but I'm glad I don't have to do that 24/7 stuff anymore. The work paid off.  It will pay off for you too.  Your livelihood is more important than the PW Net. Plenty of time for play.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1UJR
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »

Thanks guys, sometimes it does feel like lots of work for little reward. I've got 8-9 souls and their families who depend on me and the business, along with 500+ customers who count on use to keep their rides running safely and smoothly, so that's always on my mind. Add in that Maine is not the epicenter of economic growth and prosperity, and you really need to watch things closely. My trips down to Raleigh and then Dallas last month really opened my eyes on a number of fronts.

All I can say is that Red Bull is now my best friend, at least for the foreseeable future.

I'll come up for air soon, leaving "early" tonight, its only 6:00PM.
WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »

I missed the net but fired up the little rig twice, once earlier in the day and once just after the net. I was out car hunting with my son Casey - a father and son car experience. We met many interesting people between the Mass border and Hooksett! Always fun to walk on a lot with 15 cars on it with everybody speaking Russian and piles of hundreds on the table with a guy shouting - TAURUS RIDE GOOD!

W1UJR
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

I missed the net but fired up the little rig twice, once earlier in the day and once just after the net. I was out car hunting with my son Casey - a father and son car experience. We met many interesting people between the Mass border and Hooksett! Always fun to walk on a lot with 15 cars on it with everybody speaking Russian and piles of hundreds on the table with a guy shouting - TAURUS RIDE GOOD!

Russian? Really?

Used car shopping is a scary experience!
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »

If you like Red Bull, try 5 Hour Energy shots.  BEST thing I've found to help.

And I can relate to the IT woes.  There where more times than I'd like to count where I'd get a problem working at the central office, only to have to jump on a plane to get the remote location back up before start of business the next day....  Then have to jump back on a plane day to get back to Houston so could watch the server farm.

Ahhh yes.  The days of babysitting Worldcomm, MCI (before their merger), SWB, Pac Bell, etc. and making it all work seamlessly....  All while being told we are over budget, a cost center, worthless, etc.....

Why did I leave IT again?

--Shane
KD6VXI
WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »

Yes car shopping is scary - the car we bought is from Maine!

Just kidding Bruce - but the car is from Maine.

Mike

W1UJR
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »

Yes car shopping is scary - the car we bought is from Maine!

Just kidding Bruce - but the car is from Maine.

Mike

Hopefully not from this scary place!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015