The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Model Numbers  (Read 11235 times)
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

I wouldn't swap-even my homebrew HF-300 rig for two KW-1s.

I'm with you Don, I wouldn't swap my homebrew tranny for any KW-1.

Bill & Don,

That makes three of us.

KW-1s are impressive, nice looking rigs, that's for sure, but I'll take my homebrew 2x 4-400As by 2x 833As any day as well. I can go in there and do anything I want to my transmitter, with no fear of devaluing it due to ruining it's originality, etc. In my book, at least, nothing in this hobby beats building your own transmitter.

I was offered a mint KW-1 with the right of first refusal for $800.00 in 1985, but I was saving to buy our house at the time, and I passed on the rig. It went instead to George, W2KRM, and he subsequently sold it a number of years ago to some fellow out in California for $18,000, with the proviso that the buyer even had to arrange for moving the rig from the location in George's QTH where it was installed, to the moving truck it was to be shipped in. A sweet deal for George, and the buyer had zero qualms honoring all of his requests.

I had my homebrew single 4-400A by 2x 833As at the time, so I figured what do I need another high-power plate modulated AM rig for? Yeah, that KW-1 would have been a nice rig to own, but I never missed not having it. Insofar as commercially-built, 1000 watt-class HF transmitters go, I like my TMC GPT-750 much more anyway. I think it's a better rig from a mechanical and electrical design standpoint, it's designed to run 24/7 continous commercial service, and I like it's appearance/industrial design better than the KW-1, too. It is usable over the entire 2 to 32 mhz spectrum, and can be easily converted in the field to SSB, RTTY, or plate modulated AM service as well. Just my opinion; I'm sure many would disagree, particularly those that are owners of KW-1s. And of course, the GPT-750 was a rig built to a different set of design criteria and potential applications.

BTW, W2KRM was a talented mechanical engineer, and his impression of the KW-1 from a layout, cooling of the 810 and the 872B deck, and overall mechanical design standpoint, was not favorable. He used to comment that he thought the mechanical design was done by "some kid right out of engineering school, with no real practical experience in these matters". I have no idea, never having had any experience with the transmitter myself, other than seeing a few in other ham shacks, etc.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »

I usually don't volunteer what I'm running unless the other guy asks me. That being said, I like to know what the other guy is using, regardless of the mode. If I don't recognize it, I do what Sam suggested and look at the RigPix site or check the eHam reviews site. I figure that whatever path the other guy has taken to get on the air, he's probably proud of what he's using, so I always ask a few questions about his rig to be polite and to get him talking a little. Not everyone has the expertise to build their own equipment, or even cut their own dipole, but I have never spoken with anyone who isn't impressed when they run into someone using something they built.

Don, I do find it funny when some guy with a voice dripping with "smugness" goes on about how great his Heil equipped nippon-disco-duck rig is, when in my heart I know that I would never put that particular piece of crap on my own operating desk.   

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »

Plastic, metal, new, old, tubes, sand, AM, SSB. Ppfffttt! I don't care if the other guys radio is made out of Bald Eagles as long as he can hold a conversation.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 01:08:13 AM »

Mine is better than yours.  Roll Eyes
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »

Plastic, metal, new, old, tubes, sand, AM, SSB. Ppfffttt! I don't care if the other guys radio is made out of Bald Eagles as long as he can hold a conversation.

Well said!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »

"Don, I do find it funny when some guy with a voice dripping with "smugness" goes on about how great his Heil equipped nippon-disco-duck rig is, when in my heart I know that I would never put that particular piece of crap on my own operating desk. "

Rob, that beautifully written statement belongs on someone's signature as a quote!  Too funny.   Grin Grin Grin   

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015