The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-440S - Question on the YK-88A AM filter  (Read 40877 times)
AL7FS
Contributing

« on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »

Until I can get my stable of BA AM equipment running, I have been wanting to get on AM and start an AM net up here in Southcentral Alaska (Anchorage and surrounding areas). 

I have a Kenwood TS-440S with only a YK-88C 500Hz filter.  There is a slot for a SSB filter.  Is that where I would put the YK-88A filter if I wanted it for AM?  I did not see any reference to the AM filter in the operating manual or the service manual.  Would it help me on AM on the TS-440S?  And finally, how much power can I safely run?  25 watts is what I read in the op manual.

I just hate to buy a filter until I know where to stick it and if it will help.  Or, is this a poor use of resources?   Will it work?

Any advice would be appreciated.  I haven't been on AM since 1965 and 1966. Just 90%CW and some SSB.  See 1966 shack photo at http://www.al7fs.us/

Thank you.

73, Jim, AL7FS
KK4RF

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »

Jim,
     I've used my TS-440 quite a few times on 75 meter AM and usually people give it ok audio reports. I don't have an AM filter for it, but the rig seems to receive OK. I use a TS-570 sometimes as well and run it through a SB-201 linear. For the 440 I try not to run more than the prescribed 25 watts of carrier. I'd say, just give the 440 a try. There are some mods I've seen for the 440 on AM but I've just used mine stock. Good luck.
     ---Marty, KK4RF, Suffolk, VA---
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »

It should still TX thru the stock 455 KHz ceramic SSB filter, the optional one is for the 8.8 IF.

Carl
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »

I understand the TX would be standard.  It is the RX I am interested in.  None of the documentation mentions the YK-88A filter.  Where do I plug it in is the question.  Surely the YK-88A is for RX.

I appreciate the responses.  Eventually I will get this figured out.

73, Jim, AL7FS
Anchorage, AK
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

You don't plug it in. It gets soldered in. The larger Kenmore rigs use the plug in boards. Filters are the same thing except for the PN suffix with a board.

After installation there's a jumper to connect to diode switch the filter into operation.

I have one and didn't think it was worth installing. AM receive still goes through the little cube filter @455kcs.

If you do any mods at all start by increasing c-135 on the I.F. board by 10dB. You will have the board up ended anyway. It can be flipped with almost all the harness plugged in.

The 440 can be mistaken for a "real" AM rig with the correct work.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »

Get it all here!

http://amwindow.org/tech/htm/ts440/ts440mods.htm
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »

<Just saw the new post...QRX...Hmmmm...I am going to have to read that several times.  I had actually found this write-up but I did not grasp the material properly.  I think I am figuring out that the YK-88A is a waste of time although I don't know just what to do yet.  Read...read...read...>  I wonder why so many people buy the YK-88A?  What do they use it for?

Original post as follows <unchanged although I have the new material to chew on>:

Okay on soldering, that's not a problem.  I am supposed to solder in the YK-88A into the SSB filter slot?   Is that right?  My original question read, "There is a slot for a SSB filter.  Is that where I would put the YK-88A filter?"  

Are you saying that one does not install a YK-88A filter because it does one no good?  I understand it does no good on transmit.

I am not clear on increasing c-135 on the I.F. board by 10dB.  Was dB what you meant?

I apologize for being so dense.  I have the rig opened up.  I have the soldering tools and a Hakko 808 if I need it.  

Everyone must be getting this info from somewhere.  I thought I read through the manual and service manual.  Seems I need to go back and read it again although I know there is no reference to the AM filter.  I have done searches on several email lists and with Google to no avail on this topic...which surprised me.  Not even the Kenwood TS-440S Yahoo list had any info.

With ongoing appreciation for the help...

73, Jim, AL7FS
http://www.AL7FS.us
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

I would not install the YK-88 AM filter.

What I have done is use the rig without an AM xtal filter - the position is bypassed entirely in AM anyhow, but have changed the 455 ceramic filter for another Murata ceramic filter with far better skirts and iirc the one I liked best
has +-9kHz. (-6db iirc) bandpass.

It is a drop in replacement for the stock filter, even though it is physically 2x the dimension in length - Kenwood has the holes in the board already there! Apparently they either intended to use another filter or else were nice about it for people who wanted to drop in another.

The result is imho quite wonderful receive audio. As already noted the xmit still goes through the "SSB" bandwidth... (although I am not sure thinking about it now, if I pulled the stock SSB xtal filter if that would widen it up or not... hmmmm...) but anyhow there is a nice mod from Mark KA2QFX for the xmit audio and notes from Dave W2VW. I also did some experimentation on the audio stage and that can be found on my website with a google search, although I would stick with Mark's xmit advice and the Murata filter swap at this point in time.

Which Murata filter?

I don't have the number handy - I am some distance from the shack these days... but you could figure it out as I did by browsing the Murata site and picking the one that is black, fits in the larger hole pattern, corresponds to the stock hole pattern in part and is +/- 9kHz wide... or maybe Mark will show up and look at the ones I sent him and post the number? Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »

Great advice flowing here.  I will not buy the YK-88A filter.  I will hang on for more Murata info as I would like to improve the RX audio.  And I will go look for the article/mod from KA2QFX as well as digesting all the other articles I have found or been pointed to.  I printed out the W2VX document and also the referenced Rich Measures, AG6K, article.

I am not nervous about getting into the rig and unsoldering and soldering and such.  However, I usually need to know what I am trying to do in detail before I do it.  I am not a good technician although I have built many kits including my K2.

So much to learn...so much more to discover.

73, Jim, AL7FS
http://www.AL7FS.us/
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »

If you don't already have the Kenmore filter the money will go much further elsewhere.

Do not bother retrofitting a filter into the 455 khz I.F. unless it has a decent shape factor.

Bear, I've asked you several times exactly what filter it is you suggest using. Is it a govt. secret?

I'm really interested since I spent numerous hours checking mine in the circuit. It would be nice to find out what I'm missing. Thanks.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

http://search.murata.co.jp/Ceramy/CatsearchAction.do;jsessionid=6C4AE5FE2B4BD11B7877C03FA0D04CC0

Check how many results / page you want.

You can get all the way up to 15Kc passband on 455Kc plug / solder in filters.

ALSO, if you can find one (flea market, etc), most CB Murata 455Kc filters are a bit wider than the Kenwood ones Smiley  CHEAP way to get a bit better passband, find a dead unit at a flea market, etc., and you're good to go.  I've used them in a couple conversions, with dead CB gimme units.

Otherwise, using the search engine above, custom tailor the IF passband you want (at 455), and you're all set.

Also, Murata makes many OTHER filters that may or may not pique your interest.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

And KIWA has some nice AM filters also, Ive been using them in boatanchors for years to improve skirt selectivity.

http://www.kiwa.com/kiwa455.html

Where the hell you been hiding Shane?
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »

Wow, I think I may be in over my head.  I read both the referenced articles as posted by K4HX and at a high level I think I got it but at a technician level...not so good.  All I can do is keep reading and learning for now.  It might be easier for me to get my B&W 5100A, Johnson Ranger I, Hammarlund HQ-180 and HQ-170, and the National NC-300 going. 

I am not giving up on this as it is fun and interesting.  Please don't kill the thread too soon.  :-)

This OOTCer has lots to learn.

73, Jim Larsen, AL7FS
http://www.AL7FS.us/
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 05:03:30 AM »

Simplification:

Don't spend any time or money installing a filter unless it has superior shape factor to what's already there.

Most of the TS-440 blurbs on the internet are no longer the best or even cheapest way out for receive. That includes mine. Plumbing to a cheaprock at the first I.F. would be the best way.

Transmit is another matter.
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »

Thank you for the advice. I think I have come around to the point of backing off on this project.  Using the TS-440S for my ARES go-kit might just make more sense. 

73, Jim, AL7FS
WBear2GCR

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »

Dave,

It's not a secret at all... I am no where near my shack these days, and they are on a shelf... the replacement has decent shape factor and sounds fabulous imho, it works just right to listen nicely to a signal on 3880 and not get clobbered by guys up or down from there... to me it sounds great.

Maybe QFX will read this - I sent him two to try (don't think he has done it yet) some time ago, but maybe he has them in arms reach and can read off the numbers and post them up.

I was intending to be in the shack this weekend, but we got snow big time dumped on us up here, and I did not make it. Maybe monday, and then I have to remember this, when there is so much other stuff whirling around now... Sad

The one I picked had the right pinout to fit the Kenwoof footprint, and has the longer case, with the better shape factor than the stock, and it was +/- 4.5kHz spec, which iirc is 6dB down?? Could have been the just wider one, +/- 6.0kHz @ 6dB down. Dunno, I got a range and tried them all, this one sounded great and worked fine, did not let too much "creep" in from the side and was not too restricted. You can probably figure it out from the Murata website as that's all I did to arrive at the unit.

If I can REMEMBER to look on Monday, I'll post it. Yeah, right that's simple...
all I have to do is to REMEMBER... uh, what was that we were talking about??

_-_-bear

WBear2GCR

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »

Probably it was from here:

http://www.murata.com/products/catalog/pdf/p05e.pdf

From the CFLWA group... although I may have picked  from the CFLWB group or the CFLWA-Y group. I recall spending some time looking at the curves supplied and deciding. Any of these perform much better than the stock unit that is in there. Way way better.

I was considering making up a board with a buffer or gain stage and cascading two, but I thought, "try it first" and I did, and decided it was darn good. Left it at that.

_-_-bear

WBear2GCR

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »

no comments?

AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »

I have to chuckle at myself.  I am technically intimidated enough to be afraid to comment.  I got lost several messages ago.  That's not a bad thing as each time I read this stuff I retain a bit more.

Thank you for your help.

73, Jim, AL7FS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »

I think the 440 is similar to the 430? I am extremely pleased with the optional 6KC AM filter in my TS430-S. Before that, it used the stock SSB filter and that was too narrow for SWL and for amateur AM. I also installed the narrow CW filter and the FM unit when I installed the AM filter. There is still a deficiency compared to receivers that have several selectivity positions (sx-28, R390A..) but the addition was well worth it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

Jim,

On the IF board of the 440S there is a small black plastic 3/8" square (on the top) and 1/2" high box. That is the 455 kc IF filter - not counting the "fancy Dan" filters you can put in. The kicker is that everything goes FIRST through that little black filter, then to the optional filters.

This works because the optional filters are all tighter than it. However it is very broad in terms of its skirts. Skirts being the slope of the attenuation OUT of the number of kHz that you want to keep (listen to). (To be complete, it is also the depth of the skirt, or in other words how much maximum attenuation out of the passband it gives - in dB down) In other words, it's a crap filter. Plus it is really too tight in the passband to receive AM so that it will it sound nice, even so the wide skirts let all sorts of garbage in from the sides. (can sound like "splatter")

[In the stock configuration this ceramic filter is intended to make the skirts of the SSB and CW filter "better" by attenuating stuff way way out to the sides a bit more - which is what it does, and by so doing improves the IM specs for the IF section (by just getting rid of  (attenuating) signals off to the sides).]

The solution for listening to AM on the 440s is a nominally wider 1st 455kc IF filter with much steeper skirts, so that you can hear what you want (it is wide enough), but so that the unwanted stuff off to the side goes away.

The filter I mentioned is a "drop in" replacement for the stock filter. Which makes it very nice.

You desolder the old one, solder the new one in, done. Works like a champ! Cheesy

_-_-bear

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »

The 440 is not all that similar to a 430. 440 has an extra I.F. And does a lot with it.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »

IIRC there aren't any 455KC filters in a 430 because there's no 455 IF.
The selectivity happens at the 8.3XX meg filters.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

weeks later I finally get to the box that has the filters. I write it down. Some time after that I find the paper with the number on it. Then shortly after that - now - I get to post it.

The filter I preferred (of the ones I had to try) was this one:

Murata CFWLA455KFFA-B0  

which is a +/-6.0khz filter.

In practice it is possible with this filter to hear a QSO on 3880 and tune just south of 3880 by a hair and not hear a QSO on 3885 (for example). And the fidelity is quite nice imo.

_-_-WBear2GCR

PS. if anyone tries it I'd love to hear your impressions, good or bad...

AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

So all I have to do is buy the Murata CFWLA455KFFA-B0 filter, use my Hakko 808 and lift out the little black filter on the rig and drop this one in.  And then Shazam...it works better?  I could do that.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015