The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote operation using a Digi TS4 serial server...Help  (Read 7523 times)
WA2TTP Steve

« on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »

Is there anybody out there that is familiar with serial servers. I have seen some articles about remote operation using them to eliminate the need for a PC at the home station. My concern is getting one set up. I've been looking at the Digi TS4 which you can get on Ebay. I know you need a utility program to configure them to your needs but when I looked on Digi's site I went into information overload! Has anybody set these up?

Also the client PC needs port redirection software. Any advice on that.

My plan is to use 3 ports. One for the Icom 746, one for the rotor control and one for the remote station control board, an N8LP product.

Steve,
WA2TTP
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »

I use virtual Serial Port Emulator.  It gives me up to 255 instances of 'virtual' serial ports, allowing me to run 2 different remote programs (1 for local remote of the rig, one for Windows Mobile remote), Ham Radio Deluxe, etc.

Not positive this is what your looking for, though.  Are you looking for something to allow more than one interface to share a single com port, or looking to put a com port on ethernet / Inet?

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on operating my station in NY from Florida via the internet using my laptop running TRX manager or maybe HRD. At the station end I'm going to use the serial server, Digi TS2 to go from the ethernet out of the router to provide 2 RS232 ports to control my radio and the N8LP remote control board.

I'm concerned about setting up the Digi TS2 and also getting and setting up port redirection software on the laptop. This is needed to "fool" lets say TRX into thinking it's in comm 1 but really it needs to go to the  IP address of the radio port of the serial server at my home station.

Network devices are not my strong suit! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
w5omr

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »

I'm concerned about setting up the Digi TS2 and also getting and setting up port redirection software on the laptop. This is needed to "fool" lets say TRX into thinking it's in comm 1 but really it needs to go to the  IP address of the radio port of the serial server at my home station.

You'll be using the laptop in Florida, right?  I don't think you'll need to worry about port re-direction on the laptop.  I hope you -can- get the laptop through whatever firewall the local wifi provider will have.

Beyond that, you'll need to do some port-direction through the router, 9poking holes in your firewall) for whatever internet protocol port is required by the software you'll be running on the computer that will be doing the controlling at the hamshack. 

For example, if Ham Radio Deluxe uses port 5243, then you'll have to open port 5243 in your router to allow traffic in/out, and you'll also have to tell the router whether its UDP or TCP.

You can do a lot of testing with the laptop before you leave for vacation, but here's something to think about;
if you're away from the shack and operating from remote, have you thought up a way to see the meters, plate-current/swr/etc... what method of telemetry are you thinking?  If it's just a transceiver, then HRD would be ok.  But, a Transceiver into an Amp, or using the xcvr as an exciter for the homebrew rig, presents (at least for me) concerns about whether or not the plate current rises, swr shoots up from a fallen branch, or something... and you're yapping away there, laying pool-side and the house burns up.

Don't get me wrong, it's being done all the time and  I think it's a wonderful technology.  I've even 'been there/done that' myself (in the same house, from one room to the other) but unless it's a transceiver with lots of telemetry, personally, I would be -very- leery of it. 

Now, if you've got someone there at the house to monitor the rig while you're operating, that's a horse of a different corrall ;-)

Or, how about running remote software on the home computer, and turn on streaming video to monitor the rig/meters.
Now your concern is internet bandwidth... can the home system stream video -and- remote control the rig without any internet packet collision/loss?

There's -lots- to consider about running a rig via remote, in my opinion.

Just my .02c
no change requested ;-)
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »

Hi Geoff,

I know there is alot to consider but I think it will be a useful project in the end. I don't plan on using my amp remotely. I've been looking at N8LP's remote control board to handle antenna selection and other shack control functions along with metering functions. The rig is an Icom 746.
My main concerns are some of things you mention such as firewalls and port forwarding.

One of my other remote locations would be Houston, my son lives in Kingwood.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
w5omr

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

My main concerns are some of things you mention such as firewalls and port forwarding.

One of my other remote locations would be Houston, my son lives in Kingwood.

You probably wont have access to the router/firewall in public places (motels, rest areas, etc) but probably could get away with poking a hole in the firewall at your son's place.  I wouldn't hold out hope in any other place you come across where you couldn't access their firewall.

Failing that, you could set up the home computer with Linux, and have it 'serve' out the port, etc.  There are plenty of dynamic domain name services (for FREE, even!) where you could simply connect to your domain name and your firewall at -that- computer would be setup to connect either the rig, or access the controlling computer.  The reason for this would be OS dependent software for controlling the rig.

Even still, you'll be faced with the likely option that whatever public wifi machine you're accessing the 'net through won't have the port you need open.

Someone to consult on this project would be fellow AM'er, Marv/KC9VF.  He spends -lots- of time in Wisconsin and operates his T-368, Receiver, antenna tuners, and other equipment all via the internet.  Marv's been known to operate the rig from remote, while rolling down the highway, with an Air-card in his laptop.

Best of Luck, Steve!
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »

Good excuse to build a nice small and secure wooden shed out in the yard away from the main house. Rack up all the gear out there and if a fireball crapout happens, you won't be in danger of losing the house.

J

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

Geoff,

The internet is great but like you say getting the connectivety you need for what I want to do isn't easy. The router in the condo I'm renting this year doesn't work very well. I ended up plugging lan cable into the modem directly and that works fine. The router kept losing the internet, would show only local connection at times at other times it would be very slow. Next year I'm going to bring my own router so I can tweak it if needed.

Jared,

I have no plans of firing up my tube gear remotely. I'm not that brave. I've never had a major flame out but there's always a first time!

Steve
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »

Jared,

I have question for you. Can a gas fired hot water furance operate with it's street water supply shut off for a few months?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »

Jared,

I have question for you. Can a gas fired hot water furance operate with it's street water supply shut off for a few months?

Yes, but it needs to be watched after periodically. Make sure the air is bled out really well, close any automatic vents (Hy-Vents), and valve off the water feed if there's one connected to it. You'll need a way to raise the pressure to 12-15psig, so if there's no water connected, then that means hose and pump. If the system is in good shape, no leaks, and the expansion tank is good, then months can go by without and issues. A low water cut off (LWCO) in the piping would be a good idea in case a major leak happens and no one is around to catch it. The LWCO will kill the power if the water drains out so the boiler doesn't get dry fired.

I service a few closed systems like this and there's very little trouble provided no leaks happen. The pressure will stay up for a surprising amount of time.  

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »

Hi Jared,

The system was new in 2004 and is in excellent shape, no leaks or other issues. The water supply is always available I just would like to leave it off when I'm away for months. Now when I'm away I valve off the rest of house but leave the supply on to just the furnance. Adding a LWCO would be easy and the system has a shut off ball valve right next to regulator.

Thanks for advice,
Steve
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »

Not to go back to the original topic, but why not look to HRD's remote feature, itself?

It offers remote COM and LPT port control?  Would this not work?

I currently use my FT-857 remote via the internet (which I get from a wifi connection > 1 mile away).  I have bi-directional audio (Tx and Rx) as well a full rig control....  The only thing missing is being able to control the tuna, but I haven't figured out how my cell phone can control a Johnson Matchbox Smiley...  This is all done via windows mobile and windows XP. 

Before using the telephone to do it, I did it via HRD.  I didn't need to 'proxy' any of the com ports, the HRD ip server does it for you.

Should you need help with ports, let me know, I think I have them still (just suffered a 1/2 terabyte hdd failure, so iffy).....  And if not, I can help you with the redirects anyway, as they are still in the remote router.

If anyone (or you) DOES need to map com, lpt, etc. ports via TCP/IP (or I imagine x.25), then this is the solution I use:  http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html   Not affiliated with them, just found the product, free for personal use, and works GREAT.  I've got HRD, CTR-Server, Omni_RIG and a couple other devices ALL sharing the com port 2, which is the Yeasu FT-857, both on the local machine, as well as over TCP-IP.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »

Thanks Shane,

I going to play around with HRD and see how plays. I think it can interface with a serial port server at the home station. I would like to not have to leave a PC on at the house if I can get away without it.
I'll take a look at the link you posted and see if it makes sense to me. When I get back home later this month I'll dive in with both feet and see what  I can get working!

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015