The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How a young lady can find a marriageable man  (Read 20834 times)
w1vtp

« on: February 16, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

I thought this was cute.  I lifted it from a 1951 February QST. If there is a problem with a quote like this just delete it.

Strays from Feb 1951 p. 49

Dr. Paul Popenoe's suggestion on how a young lady can find a good man for marriage:

To grab a quote from this page:

"...Q. Any . . . suggestions as to how a serious-mnded girl can meet marriageable men?

A. Try becoming a radio 'ham.' There are several hundred thousand of them in North America.  They are likely to be a serious and intelligent lot of fellows. Many are unmarried. Get someone to set you up with an outfit. You can get in touch with all the hams within 30 or 40 miles. Invite them to drop in and critcize your hook-up and give you further suggestions."

I wonder if we can increase our ranks with this appeal?

Al

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

Its an excellent idea Al. However the writer neglects to mention that its much easier for a young lady to meet these marriageable men by simply visiting her local hamfest.

Here are some of those potential candidates enjoying the radio festivities on a warm summer day.

--- Post No Bills ---
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

Its an excellent idea Al. However the writer neglects to mention that its much easier for a young lady to meet these marriageable men by simply visiting her local hamfest.

Here are some of those potential candidates enjoying the radio festivities on a warm summer day.

I suspect that blind dates may be a better route for these kinds of hams, with no photo required.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »

not advice I would give my daughter
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »

It may also help said Young Lady if she followed a few well thought out guidelines. Grin

* goodwifeguide.gif (85.9 KB, 1200x777 - viewed 514 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5WLF
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »

It may also help said Young Lady if she followed a few well thought out guidelines. Grin

I'm guessin' that we won't get many responses these days if we include that list in any ad on a dating site...

ldb
K5WLF
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »

I don't know any AMer worth his spit that has either a HT hanging from his belt or a forest of antennas on his car. Any AMers make it on hamsexy.com?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »

LoL. Thanks for the laugh. In today's world, ham radio is 100% pure weapons grade chick repellent. I used to keep the radio room door double locked and blocked from view by large dressers so that that night's dinner and movie money wasn't spent in vain. Wink Grin Grin Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »

LoL. Thanks for the laugh. In today's world, ham radio is 100% pure weapons grade chick repellent. I used to keep the radio room door double locked and blocked from view by large dressers so that that night's dinner and movie money wasn't spent in vain. Wink Grin Grin Grin
Yup!  I almost lost Sherrie that way.  It was our third date - we were hitting it off very well, and I was hopeful!!  A nice 90 degree summer day - we climbed Mount Monadnock (a pretty good climb!), and then went to a local fancy-ish restaurant - then back to my place.  I had to answer nature's call, and came back a few minutes later - apparently, Sherrie had been snooping.  She said "Um, are you some kind of science genius or something?  What's all that stuff in that room back there".  "Oh", I said, shuffling my feet and probably turning a little red, "That's just some radio stuff.  I talk to my friends all over the country with it.".....

Anyway, Sherrie was very intimidated for a while, but eventually she came around (piano playing and wine really help here) and the evening worked out satisfactorily (is that a word?).  But, it was close there for a while !!!!  Definitely, keep the ham shack out of site until she's more or less "hooked"   Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:04 AM »

It seems by Al's post that this was a female from another country. The answer mentions Ham radio in North America.

Foreign women are very different from their USA counterparts.
My operations here are some strange mysteries to my Filipina wife and she proudly shows off the shack and Flintstone studio when we have our big bashes. Filipinos love to gather and party,eat,sing scaryoke....karaoke
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 06:12:42 AM »

around here at least, Hams are seen as some sort of Uber-geek, one of the top three anyway being just below software guys, and engineers in general.  Ironic, since technology has permeated our lives, you'd think that people would actually have a little better opinion of those who work with it.  Then again, maybe it's the opposite, since technology is so prevalent and easy to get/use, those who delve into it are seen as odd?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K1DEU
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 06:15:09 AM »

I keep Ham Radio as #1 in my hobby list. It certainly is one of many reasons I am still single for the 13 years. I hope my future wife will have different hobbbys and we will of course adopt some which are similar.
Having received both my Novice and General license in 1956 I have many local and distant friends, and or their kids, like;

W8RHZ Twinsberg, Ohio
W2HVM Colonie, N.Y.
W1NH Bennington, VT.
W1ZEO North Adams, Ma.
W2OY
W3PHL

And more recently like;
W1DBM  Redding Ridge, Conn.
W1GAC  Framingham, Ma.
W2VJZ  

And several thousand more. Good friends to me step forward and disagree quickly and explain why.
When serving in the Philippines I enjoyed teaching Physics and a Amateur Radio Course to many at a local school for Orphans and underprivileged where 40 meter AM was most popular. Being a retired War Veteran, POW etc. Some day I will collect my escrowed  back pay for my GS 29.3 Rank and weekly salary. Its neat that my free Veterans benefits will cover my wife and various family members.  May someday we Americans have at least a bi-annually free checkup for all. Yes I never finished High School for I did graduate from Elementary school and graduated from Williams College when I just turned 11 years old with a Physics major. 73  John
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »

As John said, it's nice to have someone who is quite different in her interests.

I never went for the "tech chicks" at all - ever.  Always liked the "girly girls" (you know, lots of fru-fru, etc).  But, these same "girly girls" can be put off easily if the guy doesn't maintain some resemblance to a "chick friendly" environment.  Then they'll figure "I can get in here and clean this place up - give it that woman's touch...", which, of course, is exactly what they (try to) do  Grin

The big advantage to hobbies like ham radio, is the guy is home, in his ham shack, and not hanging around at a bar or some place like that.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »

W1NH hasnt left Raymond NH in over 50 years.

K1DEU
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »

I was with Forrest, W1NH the day he passed to rest in heaven in 1957.  He willed me his home-brew 2 meter plate modulated Kilowatt with a pair of 304 Tl'sand 128 element collinear. He is still extremely active from heaven guiding all. He was known as a ridge runner /essene. John, K1DEU
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »

Irb looks like he's flipping the bird.

I suspect that blind dates may be a better route for these kinds of hams, with no photo required.

Bruce
w1vtp

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

My tongue is getting a cramp having firmly implanting it in my cheek  Grin

The stray was offered in a very different time and a lot of it would be quite foreign to today's culture except for one thing: Nerdy girls (as would be in the case of this hopeful young lady) rule. They mostly know what they want and mostly get it.  Us guys just go along for the ride.

I personally think nerds rule the world - at least the free world. Yea Bill Gates (just kidding)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42:56 PM »

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »

When my wife and I began dating she learned first hand about my ham shack, my interests in radio, my audio system, music and science interest and other interests. We had common interests too. So for her it wasn't an issue and it was just the opposite, she was intrigued.  All her life her father told her to marry someone who was 'good with their hands or marry an engineer'.  The rest was history. She's still baffled by the radio room and what goes in there but she never has to call someone to fix something in the home like she did when she was single. We both have our time for our individual interests and spend time to share our similar interests too.  I'm lucky.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Ah yes, the perfect, attentive little wife (or YL).

As the old TV commercial went, "My wife; I think I'll keep her!".

Boy, my wife would smash the 833As in my rig in a heartbeat if she knew I had just said this. And it would be well deserved.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »

I always liked Derb's version of that picture.   Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »

The ad came out in 1952, as amateur radio briefly burst into the popular culture.  This was  right after the FCC had created the Novice class, and the old Class-A phone restrictions (the original form of Incentive Licensing) had just been lifted. Ham radio was being widely touted as "an amazing new hobby", as the FCC had made it much easier to become licensed. Prior to then, for the average Joe Bloe, an amateur ticket was something very difficult to acquire.

Prior to the changes, there had been no Novice Class or other entry level licence.  The minimum requirement to get on the air included the 13 wpm code test, and the newcomer had to jump right in and pass the General (aka Class B) test from the outset. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:25 AM »

As John said, it's nice to have someone who is quite different in her interests.

I never went for the "tech chicks" at all - ever.  Always liked the "girly girls" (you know, lots of fru-fru, etc).  But, these same "girly girls" can be put off easily if the guy doesn't maintain some resemblance to a "chick friendly" environment.  Then they'll figure "I can get in here and clean this place up - give it that woman's touch...", which, of course, is exactly what they (try to) do  Grin

The big advantage to hobbies like ham radio, is the guy is home, in his ham shack, and not hanging around at a bar or some place like that.

That's why we have MAN CAVES...........it's apart from the house and the woman's touch....even though my wife hung some pictures in both rooms. ha!

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »

<snip>

That's why we have MAN CAVES...........it's apart from the house and the woman's touch....even though my wife hung some pictures in both rooms. ha!

First thing my wife did was to get some curtains for my nice view out back and the door coming in from the driveway.  Dat's OK fine.  The rest - she has left me alone

Al
w1vtp

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

<snip>

Prior to the changes, there had been no Novice Class or other entry level licence.  The minimum requirement to get on the air included the 13 wpm code test, and the newcomer had to jump right in and pass the General (aka Class B) test from the outset. 

I got my novice in the spring of '52.  I was very glad I could follow my aunt's footsteps into ham radio.  I think I got my General 4-6 months later when she upgraded to her General.

I think 5 WPM aka novice ticket was a perfect entry level at the time.  13 WPM for me would have really been a chore

Al
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015