The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacking TWO muffin fans ?  (Read 18469 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

I wonder if anyone has experience stacking two identical muffin fans coaxially. (one on top of the other)  The fans are standard 120V  5" X 5"? types you comonly see used for cabinet ventilation. Does the technique work?

I have a limited footprint space for just one fan and desire to increase the flow with a slower speed. Should I stack them with the air flowing in the same direction? I was once told by an enginner to mount them back-to-back in different directions. This seems odd, but that is how he did his amplifier.

Or maybe it's better to use just one fan. The main objective is quiet operation followed by air flow.  I will use a Variac to ramp it down.

I see little on the web about it.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »

Mock up an experiment. Id suspect there will be a bit of turbulance to contend with especially if the rotors arent phased exactly. Ive seen extra thick muffins and that may be a better choice.

Carl
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »

JJ,

Is there anyway you can use them in separate locations, one intake and one exhaust?

One of the central vacuum cleaner companies uses fans in series to develop greater suction but I doubt this is of much value unless you have significant airflow resistance.  It turns out the series fans have a fairly short life since the second one sees high air temperatures but this won't apply to your scenario.

I have found that fans of the same size vary greatly in their ability to move air along with quietness.  When one of the pedestal ventilation fans went up in smoke on my Desk KW I replaced both pedestal fans with a pair of Rotron patriot series fans.  They run in series across 120 volts with far less noise and greater airflow than the original fans.  I assume this is largely due to the more intricate shape of the plastic blades compared to the early simple aluminum fans.  You probably can find a single fan that would move more air than a stack of two.

Rodger WQ9E
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »

homebrew a manometer.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »

The manometer is a good idea, a few feet of clear tubing and water, form it into a u-shape and attach it to a board for rigidity, add a couple drops of food coloring so you can really see the level. you can then convert inches of water into flow rates if you know the orifice size.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that stacking fans didn't work out so well.  The flow would stall between the two fans and efficiency was not close to 2x but a lot less.

2 fans side by side would be better methinks.
My fluid dynamics course was some time ago... Wink

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »

I think just stacking one on top of the other would be ineffective.  When one fan runs at a given speed, it moves a certain volume of air per unit time.  The second one, assuming a stationary frame, would see that volume of air already in motion at its intake, so its blades would spin at the same rpm but loaf along, doing little work beyond overcoming its own friction and turbulence. If you cut power to the 2nd one, it would continue to rotate close to normal speed, its blades blown like a windmill by the first one.  It would seem to me that the 2nd one would have to run at a higher RPM than the first, in order to move significantly more air, but then it would try to pull air through the first one and speed it up so you would still have the same situation in reverse. You would need to mount them side by side or at different localities in the enclosure so that each one would move its own volume of air.

Where stacking two fans might be helpful would be if the motor in each fan were too small for the size of the blades, and the blades were loading down the motor enough to slow it down excessively.  Each fan would help the other along so that they would both run at normal speed.

Stacking fans would be analogous to what I have observed happening in my two-tube final.  The filament goes out on one tube and the other one tries to take the full load of the two.  If it is a really good tube, capable of running twice the normal plate current, grid current and plate dissipation, you might not notice anything abnormal from the meter readings if you couldn't see one cold plate and the other one running white hot.  The only way to make the final operate at half power with one tube turned off and the other operating normally, would be to make adjustments to reduce the antenna loading and grid drive.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

Yes, you can series fans but you need a cylinder section between the two with straightening vanes, actually a set of bundled smaller tubes inserted inside the cylinder. I don't remember the exact formula but I think six diameters diminishes the turbubance enough.  As previously mentioned your better off with push pull.  ...one on intake and one on discharge of the cabinet.
..unless you like the Queen Mary look, urk.

RICK  *W3RSW*
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »

I've seen the stacked fan thing in 1U rackmount servers. Very noisy. I suspect they do it to increase air pressure, since the fans are so small and the servers put out so much heat in a small, restricted space.

A better option, like others have mentioned, is to do an intake/exhaust combo. To make it more silent, use big, high-quality 120mm fans. More air, lower RPMs, less noise.

-Tim
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »

2 seperate fans, side by side, will move 2 X the air

2 stacked ( as already stated) will NOT move 2X the air.

The second would need to be rotating faster than the first. ( Assuming identical size, rotor size and rotor angle)
Even then the efficiency would be not good.

2 fans, one intake and one exaust, will move a little  more air than 1 fan.
(depends on the framework of the fan body)

Best scenario using 2 fans is having them side by side... blowing the same direction.
Obviously there must be adequate static vents to cope with the flow.
( surface area of the vent openings should be at least 1.5 or 2 times the surface area of the fan openings combined)

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »

Counter-rotate them to gain any efficiency with a bit of separation between them, otherwise install the side-by-side.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

Counter-rotate them to gain any efficiency with a bit of separation between them, otherwise install the side-by-side.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Interesting on the counter-rotation.  That's just what Chuck/K1KW did with his two fans in his linear amp. His were about 10" X 10" and opposed. He said that was the way to do it, but it seems counter logical. IE, how does the air "know" which way to go?   Grin   Evidently the path with the back pressure is the way.

I should have mentioned before that this application will have some back pressure through a pair of 4CX-250's ext anode tubes. This is the next stage for the HPSDR 10 mW rig. Class A modified TMC amp I've been working on in another thread.

Some background:
As seen in the pics below, I can mount a muffin at the bottom of the enclosed final sub-area and seal it off. The air top would be free flowing thru the tube fins.  The amp originally used a squirrel cage. It was bad and I replaced it with another which was too darn noisy. So I’m trying a muffin fan and hoping it can do the job since the amp will be run only at about 40w pep out in class A. Just built a power supply with only 900V plate, 200V screen (reg) and -30V regulated bias. Tubes: 6CL6 > 6146 > (2) 4CX-250’s all in class A1 with heavy RF negative feedback.  Hopefully -45db 3rd IMD and super clean at 40W pep out.

I don't think I will need an exhaust fan on top.  Hope the muffin can handle the back pressure. Think I'll make a cardboard mount and try it first... Wink  Going to try the counter rotation too.

T

* YazPics 241.jpg (326.28 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 474 times.)

* YazPics 240.jpg (319.94 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 451 times.)

* YazPics 239.jpg (317.24 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 456 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »

The back pressure from 4CX250 tubes may well be a problem for a muffin fan.  That was the tradeoff with the external anode tubes and as I recall the 4CX250 increased rating was largely through a larger and more efficient anode cooler but with greater airflow requirements over the 4X150.  Although you aren't asking them to dissipate too much (I am guessing about 200 watts input to allow for typical class A efficiency plus output circuit loss) they will be running at close to 100 watts average dissipation per tube.  Of course the more and louder you talk the cooler they run in class A Smiley

I see for 200 watts per tube at sea level (more than you need); specs call for around 5 CFM but with over 1/2 inch of drop which is a lot for a muffin fan to provide.  Many of the little fans drop to 0 airflow at around .3 inch or less of pressure.  I have a feeling a fan that will overcome the back pressure is likely to be high speed and fairly noisy.

I would take a close look at the specs for the fans you are thinking of using.

Rodger WQ9E
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »

Buy some of those temperature sensitive sticks from a welding supply and make marks on the tube base or envelope.  The key will be if you do not exceed the seal temperature of the tube in question.  Should you notice it is close then you need to increase the airflow.  

Tube specs. tell the story, be sure your installation meets those specs.  Or you can order from a mail order place (amazon) or go to hardware store and buy a infrared thermometer.  Get one with a distance ratio that fits your needs and check the tube base to read the temperature.  Adjust your airflow to maintain the temperature below the max spec. at @1.5 the specification.  If you don't have the horizontal space, then the stacking of the fans is the way to go provided you have proper space between the frames.  The greater the airflow of the top one the wider the spacing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »

Rodger,

Yes, you are correct.  I just ran a test using the muffin fan sealed off with a cardboard support. The back pressure killed the air flow to a tiny trickle thru the tube fins.  Looks like I will need to go back to a squirrel cage, darn.  I have some smaller ones I'll try with a Variac.

I had a pair of 6146's in there just yesterday and they needed no air. But they were good for maybe 15-20W out class A, so put the 4CX-250's back in.

Another problem with the squirrel cage is it is mounted down below and the amp will need tall feet to let it clear. 

OK on the temp stick-ons, Jim. Yes, I'm real careful with cooling these days after losing a few tubes to heat abuse in the past. Now I use outside air sucked in that is usually cooler than room temp.

I'll post the solution, whatever I come up with.

T

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

I actually performed a test like this back in the 80s when I was a 'JN, blowing up things one day (it didn't start out that way, honest). My dim recollection was that stacking two or more created some kind of Venturi effect with one fan suddenly ramping up considerably from whir-r-r-r-r-r to weeeeEEEEEEE. Probably related to what Don mentioned.

Muffin fans were a great source of entertainment to me back then (it didn't take a lot). Had several different sizes. Discovered that they do break, including the blades, if you play too rough with them. And that fine wire wound inside, well.....let's just say they weren't intended for high speed ducted fan service.   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »

Wow, the tube outlet total surface area (tube fins) is VERY small. I'm finding even a big squirrel cage pushes thru very little air.   Highly restrictive.

Gonna try the back-to-back muffins next.

T

WQ9E

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »

Since space in the amp proper is an issue, how about remote mounting the blower and connecting with air duct?  I did this with my homebrew triple 4CX800 setup.  The blower is mounted in a large wooden box with insulation on the inside surfaces which kills a lot of the noise.  The intake is through an air filter so dust buildup in the cooling fins is greatly lessened.

You can build one nice blower setup and use either quick connect air couplers and or air valves (sold for use in wood shop dust collection systems) and use your blower system with multiple amps.

Rodger WQ9E
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »

Yep, Rodger, I've done the remote blower thing before. All of my big rigs use them now.

Well, the counter-rotation muffins were a bust. It made X3 the noise and didn't blow much air.

The two in-series blowing in the same direction seemed about 1.5X better, but was twice as noisy.  One alone was not enuff air thru.

So looks like a blower is the only way.

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »

Tom a good muffin fan will give you about 1/8 inch on a U tube.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »

T- glad to see you're puttin that pretty little TMC amp to good use!

Didn't that thing already have a fan on it?  Or is it too noisy?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »

Yo Johnny -

The fan was open when I got it. I put another one in it and used it for a while.  It's been thru a lot of changes, but in short, built a new power supply, installed full power switching and antenna switching relays, as well as fixed a few things. But it gonna have good service as LeeLoo's linear.  I even changed it over to two 6146's in the fibal for a week, but in class A it was not enuff power to drive Dr. Love. So back to the 4CX-250's in low voltage mode.. (900V)

I added some more NFB and might add even more since I have plenty of drive and gain to work with.

They sure are built well.  Did you ever use the log periodic I traded you for it or is it sitting in a shed somewhere?  (with the wasp nest)  Wink

T

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

Do we have an aeronautical engineer type on board?  I was thinking of those Russki bombers with all the counter-rotating props.  They seem to fly OK.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »

They make a centrifugal blower that is the same height as a single "muffin fan", cheap in the surplus places, that will work into your backpressure type load. The output is on the side, but so what... it will push around a corner ok... you could
mount two of them if there is enough room - I think they also make 3" versions, so maybe you could place 2 or 4... slowing them down is not hard, easier if they are DC motors... I'd check the usual surplus outfits to start...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »

My experience agrees against stacking them directly. Plus the noise factor is there whether it sounds cool spinning up or not. With or without vanes, separate them. One pushing and one pulling, at opposite ends of the overall flow path is acceptable. If you need more volume, put them in parallel. If more pressure, a single larger or higher speed fan or maybe even a blower would be better.

Bear, do you know the brand of that fan you mention? I think I know what you are describing but seldom see them.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »

Why dontcha just place 'em in water.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015