The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schematic Question  (Read 1755 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: January 30, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

I am working on the finishing touches of the semi Meissner. The HB rcvr uses a RF/mixer/Osc that was sold as an assembled package. The coil banks are separated by steel partitions as in most commercial rcvrs.

Anyway I have a question about the yellow section in the attached schematic. Note the cap intersects with the steel section. I take this to mean this is a connection (to ground). Yet. elsewhere they use the regular ground symbol (section in red).

There is no obvious place on the shield to connect the cap so I assume it is OK to use a nearby lug.
Thanks and 73

Carl
WA1KPD

* FE.JPG (197.5 KB, 628x851 - viewed 351 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

Carl,

It is typical (and desirable) to connect it with the shortest possible leads to the metal shield/partition.  In a lot of the Hallicrafters receivers the solder point is directly to the metal without a lug.  I would suggest tinning a connection point on the shield (a soldering gun will work but an American beauty type iron is better) and once that is ready then connect the capacitor to avoid excessive heat to the component.

I look forward to your photos of the finished receiver.

Rodger WQ9E
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »

I agree. Try to connect to the original ground on the shield
Something very distant in my head comes to mind about electronic grounds and electrical grounds. And taking something to ground through a capacitor is not clicking right now.

Someone here has the answer
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015