The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m Jamming is Back  (Read 22037 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:55 AM »

Tuned across 40m about 0500 GMT.  Strong jamming signals, each about 15 kc/s wide,  centred on 7120, 7165 and 7175.  Jamming hiss was about the loudest thing on the entire band, wiping out a huge portion.  Tuned by later, just after 0600 and it was gone, along with the broadcast signals it was trying to jam.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:23 AM »

sounds worse than the commie airplane sound of the '60s
W4AAB

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »

Lot of jamming last night on 3885. Heard lots of stations on AM running Yaesu FT101B's, etc. @30 watts out from Midwest. Sad that the slopbuckets have to become jammers. I am still trying to get my "REAL' AM stuff working, but enjoyed listening on the R-390A.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »

Yes, it is sad. Unfortunately, it's nothing new. AMers have been jammed on 3885 (and elsewhere) since I first tuned in during the early 1970's. Those around before then will tell you that it happened in the 60's.

The happy news is that despite this jamming, the amount of AM activity has grown over the years and continues to grow. Let 'em jam. It's like AM fertilizer!

Lot of jamming last night on 3885. Heard lots of stations on AM running Yaesu FT101B's, etc. @30 watts out from Midwest. Sad that the slopbuckets have to become jammers. I am still trying to get my "REAL' AM stuff working, but enjoyed listening on the R-390A.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »

Sad to think that it may be one of our own perhaps unhappy with ones treatment due to ones own actions may be causing this. If you think you may know who is doing this, a trip to their neighborhood may confirm the source. If the station has a very strong signal, a car AM radio may spot the source when cruising the street where they live?

Now that I have my R390A repaired, I could go mobile if I can find someone to help me load it in the car Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »

Yes, it is sad. Unfortunately, it's nothing new. AMers have been jammed on 3885 (and elsewhere) since I first tuned in during the early 1970's. Those around before then will tell you that it happened in the 60's.

I believe the widespread phenomenon of jamming that is so commonplace on the ham bands to-day originated during the AM-SSB wars during the 60's, when slopbuckets began to make it a point to deliberately interfere with those who had refused to sheepishly change change over to SSB whether they wanted to or not, but defiantly continued to operate AM. Before the warfare erupted, deliberate jamming was relatively rare on the ham bands and was considered an anomaly, not mainstream like it is now.

Of course, there was jamming from the other direction as well.  Slopbuckets would moan through the mic over the air or transmit blower noise.  AMers tended to drop carriers on top of the slopbuckets. A tactic used by both sides was to swish a carrier over the transmitting station.  After the war more or less died down, with the slopbuckets triumphantly claiming victory and proclaiming the death of AM, the jamming and deliberate interference genie was out of the bottle, where it remains to this day.

I'm pretty sure the jamming I heard on 40m last night was coming from Ethiopia.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »

The birth place of civilization seems to have soiled its pants this past week or so..
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »

The birth place of civilization wasn't. The history you were taught was/is wrong. Civilizations sprung up in many places in the world, often independently.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »

Yeah but the genetically modified monkeys that the ancient aliens experimented on around Mesopotamia are the ones that seem to catch on the quickest! 

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »

The jamming came on again this evening.  Wiped out the AM-to-AM QSO I was  having on 7160 with Roberto, YS1RS in San Salvador.  Strong and broad rushing noise on 7120, 7165, 7175 and 7185, therefore wiping out most of the band. The only phone spectrum below 7200 completely clear of the noise was approximately 7130-7150.

- - -
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »

Ever been to MLK blvd in Newark?

The birth place of civilization wasn't. The history you were taught was/is wrong. Civilizations sprung up in many places in the world, often independently.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »

Dave said:

Yeah, at 2AM. A scary place indeed!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »

Dave said:

The food isn't half bad though.
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »

Yo, yo, yo!  Be chill man!  Don't you be diss'in' 'bout no Gibson City home boy.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »

LOL.

The Chinese would beg to differ.

Yeah but the genetically modified monkeys that the ancient aliens experimented on around Mesopotamia are the ones that seem to catch on the quickest! 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »

LOL.

The Chinese would beg to differ. 

Reportedly, it was the Chinese who furnished the jamming transmitters, four of them, to Ethiopia. They were using all four last night.

Dave said:

The food isn't half bad though.

I love Ethiopian/Eritrean food.  I developed a taste for it during the 3 years I spent there in the late 60s.  With all the refugees in this country due to recent political events in that part of the world, Ethiopian restaurants and grocery stores are popping up everywhere.  There are at least three restaurants and one grocery in Nashville.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

The jamming came on again this evening.  Wiped out the AM-to-AM QSO I was  having on 7160 with Roberto, YS1RS in San Salvador.  Strong and broad rushing noise on 7120, 7165, 7175 and 7185, therefore wiping out most of the band. The only phone spectrum below 7200 completely clear of the noise was approximately 7130-7150.
I am guessing that this may be the same thing that has been plaguing Asian operators for 40M. Wide swaths of 40M unusable coz of a wide band wipe out. It might be propagating here. China Air defense system

fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »

I heard an Italian station working Philippine stations yesterday afternoon at 3PM local. I guess there are times when the jamming is not a problem.
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

The jaming on 3885 is probably coming from the 3892 crowd. They have recently picked up a jammer who has been very persistant. Even though the jammer is jamming them on SSB they are blaming it on the AMers and have vowed to retaliate. Just the other night they got jammed and they all moved to about 3884 while they were having a good old boy net on 3885. The jammer followed them to 3884 and then back to 3992 when they were through. I dont even think its an AMer thats jamming them. Go figgure same old story different time.

Mike
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »

I am guessing that this may be the same thing that has been plaguing Asian operators for 40M. Wide swaths of 40M unusable coz of a wide band wipe out. It might be propagating here. China Air defense system

fred

It's coming from Ethiopia, not from China or the Philippines.  The BC stations that are targets of the jamming have been clearly identified as the Voice of the Broad Masses of Eritrea, and the jamming signal follows them around if they QSY to try  to  dodge the jamming.  It was also reported that China sold or donated 4 jamming transmitters to Ethiopia for the purpose. Ethiopia and Eritrea have been at war with each other for years.

The BC stations start up at 0400Z, which is 7 AM local time in Ethiopia and Eritrea.  The past two nights the jamming has started at 0500Z, or 8 AM local time.  Before, it would fade out after 0600Z due to propagation (9 AM local time), but they may shut down at that time.

- - -
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »

Dave said:

I'm not sure WHERE in Newark we were, out one Saturday night real late,( a weekend off during basic training from Ft Dix....)

But we found out REAL quick, we were NOT in the right place!!

The bars we found, would have been a regular riot to be at, IF we were from the neighborhood.

No wonder the taxi driver said " You SURE this is where ya wanna be?.."

Cheesy

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »

my guess is there is probably some jamming coming from Egypt due to all the stuff going on over there, they have already blocked internet access.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »

my guess is there is probably some jamming coming from Egypt due to all the stuff going on over there, they have already blocked internet access.

Hopefully not in the middle of the 40m "broadcast free" portion of the band.  OTOH, Eritrea never pulled its broadcast stations out of the 7.1-7.2 segment.  I understand that neither Eth nor Eri ever signed on to the ITU treaty, so they are not technically in violation.

I doubt if any outside country is going to send in troops any time soon to shut the jamming stations down.

- - -
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »

There was still a fair amount of intentional 'hate AM' crap going on from the 70s up into the 90s. Getting on in the ghetto at night with the 100w 32V was always a challenge as it was often more like hand-to-hand combat if there wasn't a big signal on the air to sweep things clean.

I hear some jamming down this way which is clearly from this area, but it's pretty lightweight stuff. One night last fall some SSBers were trying to jam a few of us down around 3715 as we talked. Since everyone had a potent signal, we just continued on as if they weren't there, since their impact was equivalent to a gnat buzzing in your ear. I later heard them whining that they needed to get bigger amps because we didn't hear them. There's a group around 3712 who send pictures back and forth, I suspect it was them as they feel they own the 'channel'.

There will always be a few. Best approach is the K4KYV method of turn up the wick and strap. Whatever you do, don't acknowledge them. Even if you need a fill, say that your wife turned on the mixer, neighbor is using his welder, kid needed help with his homework, whatever. These types tend to move along if they don't get the attention and satisfaction they crave. They seek it elsewhere. If you give it to them by acknowledgment, you'll make their day.

sounds worse than the commie airplane sound of the '60s

I remember that commie airplane jammer sound from the 70s. Nobody was talking through that mess. It's strange how those of us who came along back then just took things like the woodpecker for granted and resigned ourselves to having to deal with it.

Then it was gone. Now we have plasma TVs and other consumer junk throughout the neighborhoods.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

There's a group around 3712 who send pictures back and forth, I suspect it was them as they feel they own the 'channel'.

Kinda like what some AMers feel about the 'window'.

- - -
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015