The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How cold is it?  (Read 20021 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »

Actually, this very unpredictable wx is the norm for our planet if taken in context with climatic history.
The last 100 years (or so) of stable wx patterns is an anomoly in the overall record.

We tend to think the way we have it has always been!!!
ka1cu

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »

it's so cold.....................I saw a chicken with a capon
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »

We're finally getting back up to near or slightly above normal for the next week. It's been hovering around 50 here the last couple days, 58-60 predicted for Saturday.

December ran 10-20 degrees below normal and January has been 5-10 below so far. More snow than usual too, though nothing is left now. Looks like the Northeast is getting another typical winter. It's just so much easier to see it on the news rather than out the window.   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »

I was watching NOVA and the new term is global temperature swing. Cause unknown but the trend is warmer with more moisture in the air.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »

Geological records show the Earth has had major environmental changes, from the carboniferous era (very high CO2 atm then) to the Ice ages (yes more than one).  Climate change is a natural unavoidable phenomenom that some people have figured out how to make a Mega-buck huckstering "Green Energy" with fear mongering about 'The End of the World' etc.   

Instead of trying to prevent the unpreventable, we should be spending money and efforts trying to figure out ways of surviving the changes.  Or will our subservience to Global special interests finally be a species level Darwin Award?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »

Excellent comments Ed!  The scary part of all the Al Gore phenomena is the envisioned carbon credit economy embraced by the greenies which stands to make the hucksters rich and everyone else struggling just to afford any form of energy.  While environmentalism is certainly not all bad, it is the extremists and the opportunists who are leading us down the path of ultimate catastrophe.  Unfortunately, they will continue to exploit those who have sincere concerns and appreciation for the environment.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »

Remember back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, they assured us that by the turn of the 21st century cures for cancer and heart disease would have been perfected, our homes would be heated/cooled and our cars would run my miniature atomic reactors, we would have permanent colonies on the moon and humans would have begun to explore Mars and beyond, and electricity would be too cheap to meter?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »

Don, You forgot the part about computers would be doing all the work. When I heard that as a kid I wonered who would fix the computer when it breaks. Would that be more computers?
KC2ZFA

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

If you come across it, the short story titled "Who can replace a man" by Brian
Aldiss attempts to answer the question !
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »

OK yall got me it's 19 degrees with a wind chill of -2 and there is 1/2 inch of ice on the roads. The only people out are those involved in accidents!

and the answer to the question is, the atomic powered robots!

Don, You forgot the part about computers would be doing all the work. When I heard that as a kid I wonered who would fix the computer when it breaks. Would that be more computers?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015