The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:54:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S38B line cord  (Read 1704 times)
w1vtp

« on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »

Finished working on my Halli S38 this afternoon.  Turned to my S38b.  The line cord was dried and broken off.  I did a temporary fix but would need a replacement.

BTW - I run all of these receivers off a isolation transformer.  I'm resisting the idea of installing a grounded line cord.  If anything I'd rather install an isolation transformer.

Ideas?

Al
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »

Chicken...

An S38 is meant to be run off the line.

I just built up a widowmaker last weekend. It is a little amplifier for my single tube Morgan regen. It basically sports the audio section of an All American 5 on a board. 35W4, 50C5 and a 12AV6 pre-amplifer. I also put a 5" speaker on the masonite front right in the middle so it is open back baffled. You sounded pretty good on it, EVEN WITHOUT THE RADIO ATTACHED - Hi.

Seriously:
Check to see that your outlet is properly wired and grounded. Remove the crispy lampcord from the S38. Replace it with a properly sized cord with keyed blades and new a grommet.

But we can do better...
Inspect the circuit diagram. Notice how the grounded side is switched. This is interesting. I saw an article on rewiring this setup so that the hot is switched and neutral is grounded.
http://mikeyancey.com/S-38E_refurb.php

Do this simple conversion. With a three wire cord connect hot to the switch, neutral to circuit ground and Ground to the radio Chassis. Make sure that the neutral goes to the ground. Now you can have a large value resistor and a capacitor between neutral and ground. Better yet put a neon bulb and a resistor across too so anything above 88V will light the bulb showing you have a bad outlet.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015