The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:59:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FB WX OM  (Read 8651 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »

The snow is almost up to the top of the picnic table and we have one more heavy band of snow to hit us before it tapers off. Glad to be home.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »

Just talked to my son Dave who is waiting out the storm in NNJ in his trek home from Philly to Vernon....sun is out down there now, told him not to hurry based on what I'm seeing on I 84 CONN DOT webcams and Fox 61 TV coverage....its pounding down here lots more coming.

Had some HI HI FB OM chat this morning down on 3705 with WA1SSJ, WB2EJG, WA1HFF, and a voice from the past WA1GOS!  Haven't talked  to John in years.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

I just filled the bird feeder. The snow is well above my knees and I wasn't sinking down to the grass. I figure it will snow for another hour here.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »

This may be the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen here in 24 years.  The stone fences (3' high) are completely buried in drifts.  Yaz didn't want to go out past the shoveled porch into the open snow to take care of biz.  I had to shovel a path to the road as he followed close behind me... Grin   I dug out the three bird feeders and filled them. The birds are dive-bombing big time.

The driveway plow guy usually gets here late at night, so we are marooned for now. Still snowing hard with winds increasing to 40 mph gusts.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »

We got a couple inches before it turned to sleet and freezing rain. There's still a coating of ice in places as the temps are barely rising above freezing. Another colder and snowier than normal winter for this area. We surpassed our average snowfall in December and have been averaging 10-20 degrees below normal.

I still get email from VT on events like this, they're talking around 3 feet right now for the southern 2 counties. Must be the same band of heavy snow you guys are in. Spoke with MrMike earlier up near WRJ, he said it's even bad up there.

So much for the 'experts'. Then again, they've also predicted doom and gloom hurricane outlooks the last few years that never materialized despite their insistence. Maybe all the snowblowers and plows working will help warm things up a bit.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

We only got about 8" in the Saratoga area of NY. Very light snow, no problem to blow it. On top of what was left from the last storm we have maybe 14". We dodged the bullet again. Most schools are closed in the area.

Off to Houston on Friday to meet the new grandson. It's been in the mid 50 s down there during the day but pretty cold at night.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »

We got HAMMERED down here last year!! It's someone else's turn this year  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »

Over 2ft here in Colchester.  I'm piss beat tired.  Been clearing snow since 730A and took a break at 3pm after doing the parental units place..  Got a little more to do here at the QTH then it's Miller time.  I cut channels in the back yard for the cat.  She went out, took a leak and did an about face.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »

we had over 24 inches. Snowblower had fun with the sidewalk. About 50 feet of it was packed snow 5 feet high. Took all four of us 4 hours to uncover 2 cars and the truck. Ford is still under a drift. I had to go and refill the gas can for the snow blower. Man that thing loves premium gas. I'm beat.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »

Just got in from snow detail myself.  My little Toro electric snowblower crapped out - made a funny noise, smelled bad electrical smells, then nothing.  Thought I broke a belt, but both OK.  Must have smoked the motor - going to check to see if it was just a stall that popped a thermal overload fuse.  If it's shot - time for a real gas powered machine with some strap.  We had plow drifts  at the street over 3 feet and very heavy, piles at the corner of the driveway almost 6 feet now.

The mail lady showed up in her little mail jeep just before dark, stopped and talked to my neighbor across the street and gave him his mail, and then took off out of the neighborhood without delivering to the rest of our street.  Asked my neighbor what gives, she told him she was afraid her mail jeep would get stuck on our (just plowed) street which runs down a slight grade.  I chased her down the street in the Volvo, and asked her what was going on.  She told me the mail jeep was not four wheel drive, did not have snow tires and was terrible on snow and would have likely gotten stuck on our hill.  Your tax dollars (not) at work.....

While I was taking a warm up break in the Volvo, worked KL7J near Anchorage on 17 M CW.  First time I've been able to work AK in a long while.  17 propagation has been good of late, regularly working ZL and KH6 from the mobile in the early afternoons local here.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »

Wow, brutal stories!

It's STILL snowing here last I looked.  The cars are in the garage and have 4' snow drifts against the doors.  The driveway plow guy will be here tmw maybe.

The town plow guys didn't even bother to come up to the end of the street until this early evening. They must have said, "Aw screw JJ, he ain't going anywhere anyway."   They're right - the cars are locked in.

This is by far the heaviest snow I have ever seen anywhere.  They CT River will have hell to pay this spring, but so far looks like the snow is not having much effect on flooding..

I keep an eye on this for Hartford CT River levels:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=box&gage=hfdc3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6
T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

Plow has gone by 6 times so far 3 on each side. I hope I can get out in the morning.
I just heard we only got 16 inches in '78. I know I got over 2 feet. the bed of the truck was overflowing and snow piled up to almost the picknic table height.
I'm beat.
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »

Gonna take several daze to dig out. we had 20" here in Manchester.  Tho't our 40 yr old Ariens had crapped out. Just a chunk of ice in impeller. Thank God for a heated garage  Grin

Al

* MY ARIENS.jpg (189.4 KB, 1500x994 - viewed 316 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

I ran out of gas and had to go to fill the can. My impeller was froze after 20 minutes. I was lucky to free it with a stick. I didn't want to damage the new belts. My 1975 Sears looks a lot like your machine. I wish I had a newer Ariens. I could have used that tall shoot today. I have piles over 6 feet high along the sidewalk and end of the driveway.
My clear gas sucking tube cracked in half. I need to replace it.
I did try premium gas in the blower this time. The machine really liked it.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »

QUICHABITCHIN! ! !  This was us last year between the last 2 storms, we ran out of places to put it. Grin  Grin  Still half dead, fairly fresh outa the horsepistol I was out there shovelin it!! If it wasn't for my neighbors, I'd still be snowed in!! Maryland never gets snow like that,
when it was all over between the 3 storms that came a few days apart, we got am all-time record snowfall. IIRC it was something like 80" total!!

* PICT0016.JPG (401.99 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 327 times.)

* PICT0017.JPG (395.97 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 313 times.)

* PICT0019.JPG (416.09 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 320 times.)

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »

It's not all bad news.  After the kids (21, 17, and 12) got done shoveling the driveway by hand, I asked them why they didn't use the snowblower...  silence & Blank stare.  You know, the one in the shed, big & Red?  light dawns, followed by a general outcry.  As IF I was to blame, they see me start the dang thing every fall! Oh well, they did a nice job anyway.

Showed the daughter the basics of snowshoeing along the river afterwards.  Deep and soft, it was tough going until she got the hang of it, still we were both tuckered when we got home.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

Snowshoeing is a blast, but what a workout! You don't realize it until the following days. One of the few things I miss about being up there along with my woodfire.

Frank, those shots remind me of the old place in Randawful, VT. The last winter I was there we got roughly 10 feet over the winter. At one point my dad was down helping me out, running the snow blower in the driveway while I was atop a snowbank looking down on the top of his hat from a good 8 - 10 feet above. Was like being on the second floor porch roof.

'GMS posted some shots of his place in PA last year after the big storm in February. Youse guys sure did get tagged pretty well up that way, but from someone who grew up in it and lived with it for decades, it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy.  Wink

Worst of all, I didn't get the snowblower until my last year there. It was always the Armstrong method of snow removal.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »

You have to keep in mind that 6" of snow is a big deal down here Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

12" of snow has all of the lilly livered pansies and non driving scphincters down here shaking in their boots!! That is enough to shut down EVERYTHING!! The TV stations are on with their "snow shows" preaching doom and gloom. It is just ridiculous. Last years record snowfall had em all (the news media) running around like dogs chasing their tails Grin  Grin

Even my wife was freaking out cause I had just gotten out of the horsepistol and she was scared that we wouldn't be able to get help if something else happened to me. I was content to be stuck in, not having to deal with all of the wannabes out on the road!! It was peaceful and serene!! We had plenty of food in the house. I had the basic essentials
(coffee, cigarettes, pasta, olive oil, and garlic) I was really enjoying the peace and quiet.
My wife freaked out again when the back porch roof colapsed, I just sat there and laughed.

W2ZE
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »

Yep, someone else's turn Frank. We had 31" inches on Feb.2, then 26" on Feb.5 in Fredneck, MD last year. I moved from the snow generator machine known as Lake Ontario, hoping I would only see moderate snow ever again, man was I wrong. Good thing I kept the snow blower, otherwise I would still be bent over from shoveling all that snow. A snow blower is an essential tool in upstate NY, but was surprised to see how many people had them down here. I still didn't take any chances, I chained mine to the deck, and kept the .38 at the ready!
During both storms, I holed up with the essentials as well, plus I brought in 6 loads of firewood for the woodstove. Road was plowed out in 2 days. I absolutely refuse to drive when it snows down here. I'm confident in my winter driving abilities, however no one, and I mean NO ONE, can drive in the snow down here. Even a few flakes in the air, with dry pavement, and all common sense goes right out the window. best to stay in during bad weather, and enjoy!

Mike 2ZE.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »

I moved from the snow generator machine known as Lake Ontario, hoping I would only see moderate snow ever again, man was I wrong.

NO ONE, can drive in the snow down here. Even a few flakes in the air, with dry pavement, and all common sense goes right out the window.Mike 2ZE.

Yea, you S.O.B. you brought it with you  Grin  Grin

It isnt safe for man nor beast out on the highway down here if we get more than 4 or 5 FLAKES of snow!! Like you, I have no question about MY ability to deal with it, but EVERYONE else uses it as an excuse for a major meltdown!!  Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

I thought the same thing coming to NC, Mike! I think last year might've been the snowiest on record here, this year is well on the way with snow and cold too. I think they get 5-6" total for the year on average.

Frank, down here the mere mention of snow sends people scurrying. Store shelves empty, the end is near mentality sets in....then nothing happens. This last storm was mostly ice, though. A good time to be safe in the house.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »

They said Bradley got 27 inches. as I drove to work it was easy to see we got more. The plow deposited another 3 feet at the end of the drivway for this morning. I ran the snow blower before I could get out.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »

<Looks like the entire Whirl is getting a dunking. Floods everywhere, Philippines, Brazil, Australia. Snow up our too toos  here in the USA what the hell is going on here??? NOAH!!! NOAH!! where are you??

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »

<Looks like the entire Whirl is getting a dunking. Floods everywhere, Philippines, Brazil, Australia. Snow up our too toos  here in the USA what the hell is going on here??? NOAH!!! NOAH!! where are you??

Fred

NOAH can be found on these freqs

162.400 162.425 162.450 162.475 162.500 162.525 162.550

klc

What? Me worry?
WQ9E

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »

It is 3 degrees this morning but dead calm so it actually feels fine outside.  It is a nice change from several days of windy conditions but with the forecast it is only going to be a brief break.  Attached are a few sunrise photos from the cold and frosty morning.

* sunrise 1.JPG (845.37 KB, 1620x1080 - viewed 289 times.)

* Sunrise 2.jpg (830.68 KB, 1620x1080 - viewed 305 times.)

* Sunrise 3.jpg (584.69 KB, 933x1400 - viewed 279 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015