The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Valiant and upward creeping plate current  (Read 4575 times)
radionut
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

I have noticed on my Valiant that my initial adjustments for the plate current (usually 300 mA) creeps up by 30-40 mA as I get into QSO'sre any thoughts? I typically retune as time progresses to bring it back down to 300 mA.

Thanks,
Mike,  KD8MVH
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »

Could be a tube going soft; could be a resistor heating up, breaking down, and changing value. If you're using a coax feedline, if could be there's moisture in the cable. Capillary action of moisture in the cable can cause plate current to move.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »

Mike,

It could be a gassy tube, watch the finals in a darkened room and see if you see a blue or purple glow in one or more of the tubes.  You will sometimes see a small blue spot on the glass itself with beam power tubes, this is not a sign of a bad tube.  A good tube checker will also catch a gassy tube. 

This is also one of the symptoms of a 6146 that has been driven too hard and had the control grid damaged.  8 mils drive is all that is needed.  The original Valiant manual called for 12 mils and a note was sent out to reduce this to 8 after RCA got hit with a large number of warranty returns.  If it is a single tube you can narrow it down by removing one final tube at a time (make sure the plate connection is not touching anything and do NOT try this by leaving the tube in place and just removing the plate connection since it will take out the tube screen grid).  In the CW position load the Valiant to about 1/2 its rated CW input and hold the key down for 20 seconds or so and see if you still get  current creep.

Rodger WQ9E
K5IIA

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »

mine was doing something similar and after a small fire i found out it was the padding capacitors for the plate tune cap heating up.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »

Put it straight into a dummy load and test again to make sure that the antenna, Tuner, ect ect is not changing. I just watched a friend spent 2 days working on his valiant for this reason, Only to find out that a Door knob on his vert was changing value.

If it still happens, check to make sure the Grid is not changing. If not, Then its likely one of load caps like suggested.

C
kc2hgc
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

Also check the bias to the finals, maybe the caps are on there way out... Huh
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »

BINGO
mine was doing something similar and after a small fire i found out it was the padding capacitors for the plate tune cap heating up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015