The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New TCS-12  (Read 10825 times)
KC4ALF

« on: January 06, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »

Hello and happy new year to all.

I recently aquired an un-issued Collins TCS-12 Xmtr, no accs. I am going through my "junk hoard" to see if I can find a suitable Dyno, but woul'd really rather build a homebrew supply. Any thoughts on finding Power connectors or supply Schematics woul'd be appreciated.

I will post Pics as soon as I get the camera away from XYL, LOL.

KC4ALF
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Attached is a supply schematic I found on the web once by WU2D

Good luck on the power connectors. It would be a shame to mess up an origonal but I have seen them replaced with octal plugs that seem to fit nicely.

I have one on my round 2 it pile. I had one in the early 70's. Put a 12AX7 preamp ahead of the modulator and tied the two finals together so they were both in use on AM. Had some fun with it.

The design and manual are fun to read because the whole thing was made to be easily McGuivered (sp) back on the air if needed.

* TCSSUPPLY.jpg (163.51 KB, 1876x1208 - viewed 1228 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »

There is a guy on EPay at the moment who has several cables with connectors for the TCS; none of them are over $10 at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350427746048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've dealt with him before and he usually has quite a few cool old parts up for sale.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KC4ALF

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »

Tnx Guys. Much appreciated especially the schematic. To late on the epay, missed it but will keep in mind for future. Found a Dyno in junk that puts out 500v and 250v for xmtr(Dyno is 24v) and a cple of what turned out to be TCS connectors but sadly were long ago butcherd for the copper cable. Now will have to see if dyno works and see what it will do.

Luckily the receiver came with a home brew supply but no cableing, oh well. Always wanted to play with one. If I get em up and running by Aberdeen I'll put them in my 1951 M37, although not quite correct.

KC4ALF
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »

Hey rALF,

They ARE real nice sets, What you really want is the PP-380 AC supply
or one of the many dyno supplies with cables.  They work great with no
modifications at all. The RX is pretty W I D E. I was talking to Rich KD8FVJ
on 40 with mine today and there was a group on in PA that sounded like
they were right on freq. but when Rich keyed up his 5100 I could hear the
5 kc hetrodyne. Kinda Nice.

The original cables and psup will allow the units to work together. IE
the PTT mutes the RX and all that good stuff.  I just use the little round
Navy carbon mics with mine. You can find em for a buck or so at a hamfest.
Just add a nice LS3 or even an ugly LS166 spkr and your good to go.

I wish they had dial lights built in but they don't. those shiney dials
are a real PIA to read. Im over 50 and gotta get up on those things with my
bifocals and flashlight.

GL es 73
/Dan

* tcs 001.jpg (343.08 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 1089 times.)

* tcs 002.jpg (403.78 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 1110 times.)
KC4ALF

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:11 AM »

Tnx for the info Dan. I will keep my eye out for the AC supply, Frost Fest is coming up in Richmond in Feb. so maybe I will get lucky. I've got a line on a gent that supplies Mil-spec connectors that is supposed to have the TCS connectors in stock. If it turns out he does I'll post info, No website will call on Mon. to see. Definetly do not wan't to butcher either rig.

Yes I have heard they are a tad wide in receive but still I think its a great receiver. Nice pics of the gear. The Dynamotor is not for the TCS but the voltages are correct so will see. Hmmmn! Field Day with lots of batteries and Solar Panels  Shocked

Ralph
KC4ALF

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

Well found the Dynamotor for the transmitter. Fair actually had one and got the cables off epay. The junk box dyno will work with the receiver. Have taken it aprt,cleaned and repacked bearings in unit and it spins, and makes juice. Now to add proper connector. Will look at some of the Audio mods to boost Modulation and Mate it with a WW2 German Artillery handset. I've got a few carbon mikes lying around but from all the posts they don't seem to fit the bill.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »

The TCS is the only piece of gear in the radio room of the USS Torsk (my old boat) that is WWII original. It's in Baltimore as a museum boat. The local volunteer crew could use help in the restoration and to operate the gear. They're there every weekend. I only get out there about once a year from MN. We're getting the whole thing restored to 1968, when we decommissioned her. R-390, URC-32, ARC-27, TCS, RBS, etc.

http://www.usstorsk.org/radio/nk3st.htm

http://www.usstorsk.org/virtualtour/radio/index.htm

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KC4ALF

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »

Greetings N0WEK.

My buddy KI4JSC has been woking with them, I purchased some equipment from Torsk that he brought to sale that didn't fit the time period. I gave him an R-390A and some other gear to see if they coul'd use if not to sell off or trade for proper gear. It's great that they are bringing her to life again.

It's a pity that it looks like the USS Olympia is headed for scrap or as an artificial reef. Considering she brought home the unknown from WWI and has been a fixture in Philly for as long as I can remember and is the only one of her class left (Launched around the same time as the USS Maine). Maybe someone in Pa. will step in to save her as well.

73'
KC4ALF
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

That could certainly be the case. I recall reading somewhere that
after the investigation into the USS Indianapolis the Navy REQUIRED a
functional TCS on every commissioned ship that left port. I don't
know how long that rule was in effect but look how long they
screwed with Cpt. Mcvay.

/Dan

The TCS is the only piece of gear in the radio room of the USS Torsk (my old boat) that is WWII original. It's in Baltimore as a museum boat. The local volunteer crew could use help in the restoration and to operate the gear. They're there every weekend. I only get out there about once a year from MN. We're getting the whole thing restored to 1968, when we decommissioned her. R-390, URC-32, ARC-27, TCS, RBS, etc.

http://www.usstorsk.org/radio/nk3st.htm

http://www.usstorsk.org/virtualtour/radio/index.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015