The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking KW desk emblem  (Read 13768 times)
w6thw

« on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »

Can anyone tell me the correct colors of the Viking KW desk drawer emblem, or a picture.

Mike  w6thw

* DeskKWtag.jpg (137.89 KB, 800x556 - viewed 575 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »

Hi Mike -

I moved your post here to the Tech forum since you weren't actually looking for a part but rather, information. The Classifieds are set up as author-post-only, allowing no answers except through private message. Here you can get some discussion.

As to your question, I believe the entire tag is black paint over aluminum. Can't remember if it was stamped ad filled or screened, I think the latter. I've had a couple and both were the same. The latest resides with W3GMS who is in the midst of a complete restoration, so he might jump in with greater detail.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

Hi Mike,
Todd has a great memory!  It is a silver plate and silkscreen with black paint. Your picture looks exactly like mine.

Tell me about your JDK.  Mine is one of my most treasured rigs!  Its in the midst of a complete restoration and I can't wait to get it on the air.

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »

Here is my friends restrored Desk, Glegg, and ranger 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ke7trp1tube?feature=mhum#p/u/7/OJhjnmirNIM

One day I will have one!!

C

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »

If you're serious about getting one Clarky, let me know. Since selling mine a year ago I apparently became an unintended Viking KW broker of sorts, a number of folks contacting me after seeing my ad and wanting to sell. Six so far, and last I knew there were 2 still available out on the left coast: one in Oregon and one in Utah or Nevada, can't remember which right now. One is from the estate of a SK and the other from a fellow who is downsizing.

Lemme know if you're serious and I can put them in touch with you, provided the units are still available. The more of them we can get back on the air, the better.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

I am very serious about getting one.  It comes down to condition and price and if the desk is actualy there or not.  If I found a nice one, I would probably clear out the shack.

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »

Let me contact both gents Clark and see if they're still available. Both had the desk included, one had been used fairly recently and the other I'm not sure about.

As far as prices go, none was mentioned though there was some discussion. My advice to them was the same as to myself: prices are down and continuing to drop as demand slows.

If either are still available, shall I put them in contact with you directly?

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »

Sure, Email me for my contact info.   My good friend John has two and has restrored them both and upgraded them. I am sure he would help me if I ever got one. I would start by redoing the entire thing.

C
Detroit47

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »

Since we are on the topic of desks. All I have is the amplifier itself. I would love to find the desk to go with it. I'm sure this is a rare animal, but I had to ask. I have some spare iron for mine I'm not sure what though. I would have to look in the Catacombs.

73 John
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

Since we are on the topic of desks. All I have is the amplifier itself. I would love to find the desk to go with it. I'm sure this is a rare animal, but I had to ask. I have some spare iron for mine I'm not sure what though. I would have to look in the Catacombs.

73 John

Same situation here. I have no desk for it. They say the chair is even more rare. There must be a way to take an old metal office desk and come up with something that looks very close? Anyone ever hear of a desk mod being done.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W7IXZ

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »

I have a desk I picked up about 15 years ago, the AM parts were removed and it was used on SSB linear service only.  I have all the parts to rebuild it - no desk just amp.  I do need a grid/mod meter as they replaced the one in there with a round meter.  I thought about scanning the HV meter face, redoing the scale and using it so I would have a Johnson meter face with logo on the top.  All I need to do is put in the proper shunts so it reads correctly.  I think it is a basic 1-1 MA movement.  Then replace the HV meter with another meter.  It is at the bottom of the amp behind a drop down door so it would not be so noticable.
Larry
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »

the AM parts were removed and it was used on SSB linear service only.

I have heard of that before. It make me wonder why they did it when those parts weren't worth that much 15 years ago?

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »

My elmer and others told me there was a point in time where you could not give one of these away. Lots of them where just free if you hauled it away.  Lots of them where trashed, and some where made into something usefull like a higher power leeenyar for use with a Signal one or Drake 4 Sad

C
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »

Lots of them where trashed,

A couple years ago a friend had one given to him. The one I have the previous owner said he paid $50.00 for it about 20 years ago.

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:34 AM »

Mike, Your desk looks and sounds like a million bucks. (Except for the chair, of course)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »

Mike, here's a shot I had taken of the keys and drawer tag on the Viking KW tat now resides at the W3GMS museum and collection. A slightly different angle and lighting which reinforces the all-black description.

My elmer and others told me there was a point in time where you could not give one of these away. Lots of them where just free if you hauled it away.  Lots of them where trashed, and some where made into something usefull like a higher power leeenyar for use with a Signal one or Drake 4 Sad

The first one I got back in 1986 cost me $200 from a Catholic priest, but he insisted on keeping the desk. The fellow who gave me the tip had just bought one from a club member for $100 and sold it in the Yellow sheets for $600. 2 years later when I scored the deal with the big rig in it, I sent the Viking KW to California for $500, a 75A-4 filter, and a 51S-1 receiver. Figured I'd done pretty well. Never did get the desk.

The one sold last year had been converted for linear service with the 810s and their associated leads removed, also the relay from atop the choke in rear. Was able to locate everything to put it back together, including an identical original HV relay found for me at NEAR-Fest by Joe Long, NM1V. Fortunately no iron was missing.

During the same years as $50 Viking KWs it was possible to get a KW-1, 30K, 75A-4, SX-88 and other rigs considered high-end today, for peanuts if not free. I traded a Hallicrafters SR-150 with low output for my 30K-5 and the fellow thought I was nuts (I am, but that's another matter). Then the baby boomers who'd always wanted these rigs grew up and had more disposable income around the same time AM was making a comeback. Prices soared, a lot of stuff came out of the woodwork or was saved from the dump. Now we're heading down the backside of that peak without any practical hope or expectation of another wave of enthusiasm and a much larger stockpile of gear. Prices are dropping like the proverbial stone, and the good thing in my view is that the people who get these fine old rigs now will likely be the folks who use them, as the bag-on-shelf collectors are running out of people to impress.

* DrawerKeys.JPG (254.3 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 590 times.)

w6thw

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »

Thank you everyone for the information on the Johnson Viking KW Desk emblem.
Mine had been powder coated and when i took the powder coat paint off it of coarse it
took everthing off. It would be so much better if i could find a emblem on a junker. But
i wont count on that. Ok on the color and the picture. Now i need someone to silk screen it.
Didnt know there would be so many comments on the Viking Desk. Attached is a picture of
my desk. Yes that is the Johnson speech amp between the Johnson Ranger and the Collins 75A4.

Mike   w6thw

* viking_kw_2.jpg (449.34 KB, 3264x2176 - viewed 673 times.)
Dave KA2J
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »

Prices are dropping like the proverbial stone, and the good thing in my view is that the people who get these fine old rigs now will likely be the folks who use them, as the bag-on-shelf collectors are running out of people to impress.

Todd,
Interesting comment you made above.  I've often thought the same thing.  As the community of amateurs interested in the vintage equipment ages and passes on, there will be more equipment on the market than people interested.  It seems like a shame because I'm sure more of it will end up in the trash.  Even museums will not need more than one of each item.  I guess we should enjoy the vintage part of our hobby today and get that rig on the air you always dreamed about.  There's no time like the present.
Dave

Dave KA2J
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »

as the bag-on-shelf collectors are running out of people to impress.

I agree with part of this. I often see these huge collections that people have and most of it is never used or even hooked up. On the other hand, they have done the community a favor that may have otherwise seen the stuff sent to the trash barrel much sooner. Speaking of stuff( Radios), I know I have at least five tons of it. Is that excessive  Huh Huh Huh

Dave K6XYZ

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 02:40:54 AM »

as the bag-on-shelf collectors are running out of people to impress.

I agree with part of this. I often see these huge collections that people have and most of it is never used or even hooked up. On the other hand, they have done the community a favor that may have otherwise seen the stuff sent to the trash barrel much sooner. Speaking of stuff( Radios), I know I have at least five tons of it. Is that excessive  Huh Huh Huh

Ehhh....I don't think 5 tons is unreasonable.
I moved here 6 years ago from the land of the illegals and I brought my clothes in my car and the moving van brought 14K pounds of ham gear.....uhh...7 tons of stuff.
I gave away the refridge and a lot of other heavy stuff that I didnt need like living room furniture and beds n' chit.
I use 516F-2's for doorstops.
It's a wonderful life!
KC4VWU

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »

Cool! An equipment weigh-in competition!

Seriously though, the Desk KW's look really awesome guys. I had contemplated searching for one, but I now have the BC tx. to start on. Only so much room to work with, even at the new QTH.

Todd, I think prices are dropping on some things, but getting totally insane on others. For instance, a cruise through "E-chance" listings over the past few months revealed a lot of poor looking 75A4's with asking prices near HM restored figures. HRO's seem to be following a pricey trend also. Being active at the fest's, asking friends to keep a lookout for items, and cruising the web boards seem to be the best way to go for acquiring equipment.

73, Phil
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »

Yes indeed. Epay is like hitting the convenience store: you pay a premium for the convenience. Aside from a very few truly rare items, most can be found elsewhere for less.

Part of what you're probably seeing in the high asking prices are those who "invested" and are now panicking about getting their money back. I've seen those 75A-4s too. One in particular with a speaker that the seller has had on there for months with a BIN of $1200 or so. It hasn't sold. Same with the overpriced 30K listed in ER and elsewhere. You can ask whatever you want, doesn't mean you'll get it. I've seen a lot of A-4s sell from $400-$800 in the last year. Much more in line with its utility, IMO. Even the over-embellished SX-88s have dropped despite their relative scarcity.

Decent R-390s and R-390As seem to be holding their own, though. They're one of the few. I credit this with their appeal and utility to SWLs and hams alike, rather than any collector factor.

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »

Hey Mike,

Jon is correct about your Desk,  but due to recent inflation,  it sounds and looks like Ten Million Bucks!  A very nice rig,  which does sound teriffic.

73,  see you on AM,   Vic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015