The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:47:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird, Interesting, and Odd Radio Awards  (Read 7950 times)
W1UJR
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »

Over the years many interesting, odd, and sometimes downright weird awards have been offered for radio contacts, station appearance and construction, and even interstellar communications.

Here is my first contribution to the cause:

The "Elser-Mathes Cup”
Was to be awarded to the first Amateur Radio two-way communications between Earth and Mars.  
The trophy is on display at the ARRL Museum where it’s been since 1929 waiting to be claimed!

The story of the Elser-Mathes cup appeared in the November 1969 issue of QST.
In his article, "That Planet Mars QSO Cup," Col Fred Johnson Elser, W6FB, recalled meeting League founder Hiram Percy Maxim, W1AW, in the 1920s. He learned that Maxim had an interest in Mars and even owned a globe of "The Red Planet." Later...Elser was inspired...to offer "a unique trophy" for the first two-way communication with Maxim's "pet planet," Mars.

Anyone have a November 1969 issue around?

* Elser-Mathes Cup.jpg (16.9 KB, 246x378 - viewed 871 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »

OH GOD, NOT ANOTHER CORNTEST ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

CQ Mars, CQ Mars............................... Roll Eyes

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

Hmmm, I'll have to go look in the pile Bruce. I think I tossed some '69 QST's out in a convulsion of decluttering over break. I do remember reading the article back when.

I think that there was some talk in AMSAT about having an amateur transponder on a Mars bound spacecraft a while back. I suppose having your signal repeated isn't really a two way contact though.

Do you remember the Yaesu FT-736 ads? The ones with the alien on the other end of the contact?

We had a local contest in our club for the weirdest antenna you've made a contact(s) with. The winner was using a pair of Have-A-Hart traps as the radiating element.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »

They (ARRL) must have thought the moon was too easy or maybe they gave out that award Huh Huh Huh

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5WLF
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »

Over the years many interesting, odd, and sometimes downright weird awards have been offered for radio contacts, station appearance and construction, and even interstellar communications.

Here is my first contribution to the cause:

The "Elser-Mathes Cup”
Was to be awarded to the first Amateur Radio two-way communications between Earth and Mars.  
The trophy is on display at the ARRL Museum where it’s been since 1929 waiting to be claimed!

The story of the Elser-Mathes cup appeared in the November 1969 issue of QST.
In his article, "That Planet Mars QSO Cup," Col Fred Johnson Elser, W6FB, recalled meeting League founder Hiram Percy Maxim, W1AW, in the 1920s. He learned that Maxim had an interest in Mars and even owned a globe of "The Red Planet." Later...Elser was inspired...to offer "a unique trophy" for the first two-way communication with Maxim's "pet planet," Mars.

Anyone have a November 1969 issue around?

The article is available in PDF format in the QST archives at the ARRL site.
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

Cool, but how do I find that?
I'm a member, reasonably computer literate, and still find the
new fangled, megabucks ARRL confusing as heck.

Ok, next Weird, Interesting or Odd Award please step up!
K5WLF
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »

Coo, but how do I find that?
I'm a member, reasonably computer literate, and still find the
new fangled, megabucks ARRL confusing as heck.

I agree with you. The new site is confusing, difficult to navigate and a total waste of two years and unnumbered piles of member's dues. However, to find the article, just go to the home page of the ARRL site and click on the "QST" hyperlink. That will take you to the QST page, surprisingly enough, then click on the "QST Archives" link -- second one down on the left side.

Scroll down on the archives page until you get to the search form. Put "Elser" in the Author's Name field. Select "1969", "November" and "QST" in the appropriate places and hit "Search". The article link will appear on your screen through the magic of modern electronics. Click on "PDF" and you're an owner.

ldb
K5WLF

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »

They (ARRL) must have thought the moon was too easy or maybe they gave out that award

Well, it was post moonbounce, so maybe they thought that had already been covered. In fact, I guess it might have been post Apollo 11, where if I recall correctly some hams had copied the relayed signals from the orbiter at about 2 Ghz.

I don't think anyone has done Marsbounce yet, except maybe the radar guys at Arecibo. I think they've bounced stuff off planets out as far as Jupiter, probably further by now. Hmmm, 20 Terawatts ERP at 2.4 Ghz, yeah I bet that gets out there a bit.

I knew some folks who worked down there and one told me once that the dish had about 60+ db gain on 432 mhz. He was doing moonbounce with QRP power levels.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »

They (ARRL) must have thought the moon was too easy or maybe they gave out that award

Well, it was post moonbounce, so maybe they thought that had already been covered. In fact, I guess it might have been post Apollo 11, where if I recall correctly some hams had copied the relayed signals from the orbiter at about 2 Ghz.

I don't think anyone has done Marsbounce yet, except maybe the radar guys at Arecibo. I think they've bounced stuff off planets out as far as Jupiter, probably further by now. Hmmm, 20 Terawatts ERP at 2.4 Ghz, yeah I bet that gets out there a bit.

I knew some folks who worked down there and one told me once that the dish had about 60+ db gain on 432 mhz. He was doing moonbounce with QRP power levels.

Great achievement:
On July 17, 1960, Eimac (San Carlos) radio station (W6AY) made the first-ever amateur two-way 'moon-bounce' contact with the Rhododendron Swamp Radio Club (W1BU) in Massachusetts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »

Moonbounce is interesting. Back when AO13 and AO10 were still functioning and I had a decent satellite setup I copied some moonbounce from VE3ONT on 70cm. I was running an FT736 and a home brewed 14 turn helix antenna, no preamp. They were running a 150 foot dish and moderate power. That was cool. I'd like to give it a try with some of the modern digital modes. I guess with a good yagi and 100 watts and the right mode it's doable.

Remember the earliest communications satellites, before the active ones Walt worked on, the Echo series? 100 foot mylar balloons for passive bouncing? I remember watching those go over when I was out camping in scouts. A bunch of years back some of us were talking about trying that kind of passive bounce off the shuttle or ISS. Don't know if anyone was successful at that.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »

Radio News or Short-Wave Craft - Hugo Gernsback
Can't find the details and photos right now, but he offered a very cool looking award cup for the most/longest number of short wave stations received.
Any one have any early issues to scan in?
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »

Heavy Metal Rally.

* hmr00trophy.jpg (18.93 KB, 215x380 - viewed 495 times.)

* hmr2002.jpg (39.38 KB, 221x448 - viewed 502 times.)
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »

Hey Bruce..if ya can and you got the info on it..mention the Brendan Cup..sumptin about 2mtr contacts between us and Europe..yud think us guys on the east coast could bag that one but evidently not..tnx!  73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015