The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:59:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-614  (Read 3318 times)
WB2EMS
Contributing

« on: January 04, 2011, 12:33:10 AM »

I reworked the shack over break, and in the process put an SB614 station monitor in line. I've got the basic RF paths from the exciter and amp run through it, but don't have a manual, so I'm not sure what else to do. There's a couple of RCA jacks for horizontal and vertical, but I'm not sure where to run those. It has 3 modes, in SSB mode I can see my envelope, but not sure what the other modes are supposed to do. I think this can do a trapazoid pattern display to make sure the amp is linear, but the last time I had my hands on one was back in the 70's at K2CC.

Anyone have a manual for this unit? I found a schematic on the web, but no manual. Or just basic instructions on how to use it? I'm thinking the trap pattern needs some audio input, which I should be able to get out of the mic mixer I'm using I think.

thanks in advance

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:37:49 AM »

Kevin,

See:  http://rfelektronik.se/manuals/1/heathkit/sb614/

Rodger WQ9E
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »

Rodger,

Thanks! It's a bit rough, but usable. Looks like I'm basically connected ok. Also have a separate 100 mhz scope and a tap to look at envelope, but wanted to use the trapezoid pattern to make sure the amp is adjusted properly.

Never seen a djvu file before. Had to find a viewer to use it.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »

Kevin,

Most of the early Bama stuff was in djvu format and that is probably the original source of this file.  

I vaguely remember the QST review noting a couple of drawbacks to the SB-614 compared to the original SB-610.  I will look up the review when I get home tonight. 

Addition:  I had to run home and grab some books so I pulled the QST review:

Two precautions, one of which is important.

1.  If the attenuator is set too low (even with the scope off), R-201 on the demodulator board will go up in smoke.  So make sure the attenuator is always set high enough (this is especially important for AM with its continuous carrier).

2.  Probably not critical for you but the SWR increases significantly on 6 meters going as high as 6 to 1 with the gain set for maximum.  You probably don't want this inline on 6 meters.

I have one with my SB-104A station and otherwise it seems to work about the same as the 610 I have with the SB-303/401 setup.

Rodger WQ9E
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate that. I think the 614 has a few less features than the 610. Looks like it will do the trapezoid and envelope and let me watch the audio out of the receiver. I plan to get that all plumbed up tonight and with the printout of the manual in hand start checking it out.

thanks for the help. I googled for 2 days trying to find that manual on line.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »

Kevin,

I appended additional info to my previous response.

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

Thanks for the warning on the attenuator. I will check and set that to max to start before I fire up the amp with it tonight. Not that I tend to run that hard anyway, but don't want to toast anything. And as things are wired it is in line on 6 meters, so I'll have to check out that situation also.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015