The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my lucky day  (Read 1280 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »

My last day of vacation I decided to take apart my second right angle drive and replace the drive shaft. (The first one was a real pain.) Nice HD national drives but the drive shaft too short. Brass staked gear with a brass shaft.
I set it on the vise and try to drive the staking pin out. It will not move no way.
So I'm close to trashing the thing. As a last resort I mount it in a tool vise and center punch the pin. I grab a small sharp bit and proceed to drill right down through the center of it with about a .06 inch bit. no brass shavings come out of the hole just steel shavings.  I want to use a 4-40 screw in place of the pin to hold the new shaft so needed to drill it to .11 inch. Agian drill goes half way through the hole and the pin blows out the back. (This only happens once in a life time when you don't have the right tools)
The first drive I had to heat the crap out of the gear and bang on it to release from the shaft so thought the best part was coming. I mount the shaft in the vise and put the jaws of an adjustable over the shaft against the frame of the drive and give it a blow. It flies off the shaft across the floor in perfect condition.
 Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015