The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:25:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transformer IDs please? Basler BE11821 (Gates) and Amertran  (Read 4286 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: December 31, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »

Recently acquired two large-ish transformers, and would like to find the datahseets or catalog data on them. Or perhaps the manuals for the gear that used them so I can learn the intended rectifier arrangement and currents. That would help me understand what to expect if doing it differently.

Gates Radio 472-0711-000
(made by) Basler, #  BE11821 001
-208/240 primary with +11%-0--11% taps and the secondary says 3000/3500/4000/4500 VDC. I'm told it is rated 1A CCS.

Amertran spec#26579
- 105// 60Hz input, sec. 6200VCT 2KVA, sec. 15000V test

Thank you!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5WLF
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:51 AM »

Patrick,

Here's the data from the Harbach Electronics site for the unit. It's not much more than you've got, but it appears it might have originally been used in a 2.5 KW FM xmtr. Hope this helps get your search off in the right direction.

GATES FM-2.5K PLATE

P/N 472-0711-000

CORE) A-0525/CS-161          STYLE #) 10 E-I LAMINATED CORE

PR) +11,0,-11,208,240 VAC 60 HZ 1 PH

S1) 0-3000-3500-4000-4500 VAC @ 1.0A CCS

DM) HT = 10.769 WT = 9.825 DT = 9.188 MD = 5.000 MW = 6.437

WEIGHT) 86 LBS

73 and Happy New Year,
ldb
K5WLF
KE6DF

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »

Here is an old AmerTran catalog. I don't see the one you have, however. Yours may have an OEM number as it's not the style of part number in the catalog.

Perhaps it's a useful addition to your web site even if it doesn't help here.

* AmericanTrans.pdf (1610.8 KB - downloaded 1398 times.)

KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »

The Amertran is an oldie,  seems that it was designed to run on 105vac.

From the 2KVA rating the xfmr can probably supply about 650ma. maybe a little less.

If you run it on 120vac you should reduce the current drain by 15%

The other xfmr has all the info you need right on it.

It runs on 240vac.  Connect the 240v line to terminals marked "0" and 240
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

Thanks. I can run with that until I can measure the Basler's AC secondary voltage and look at some gates manuals. It's not clear if the intended use is choke input or capacitor input. The reason I asked aboutt he spec that is the transformer secondary numbers say VDC on the name plate, not VAC.

The Amertran has several taps on the primary, The nameplate "//" after the voltage may indicate something like 105/115/125. If it's that old, it must have been intended for choke input filtering. I have not had the best regulation results using cap-input filters with such old transformers. Looks like about 2900VDC with an LC filter.

For that old Amertrans catalog, found a different file but what looks exactly alike on http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Techno.html so I better not post that unless I get their permission.

KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »

Thanks. I can run with that until I can measure the Basler's AC secondary voltage and look at some gates manuals. It's not clear if the intended use is choke input or capacitor input. The reason I asked aboutt he spec that is the transformer secondary numbers say VDC on the name plate, not VAC.

The Amertran has several taps on the primary, The nameplate "//" after the voltage may indicate something like 105/115/125. If it's that old, it must have been intended for choke input filtering. I have not had the best regulation results using cap-input filters with such old transformers. Looks like about 2900VDC with an LC filter.

For that old Amertrans catalog, found a different file but what looks exactly alike on http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Techno.html so I better not post that unless I get their permission.

The name-plate DC voltages are most likely with a choke input filter, in fact it could even be with a two stage filter (LCLC).  It is VERY unlikely those DC voltage ratings were with a cap input filter.  CLC filters are far too unstable to be used in big xmtrs.

OK FB on the Amertran AC input voltages, you're probably right about 105v,115v,125v.  Thought that seemed very strange that it only had a 105v input.  This xfmr was also intended to be used with a choke input filter.  When you use a xfmr with a CLC filter, you must reduce the current load by as much as 30% because of the higher DC voltages.  The Amertran doesn't give a current rating but it does give a VA rating. So, higher voltage means less current to stay within the xfmr's VA rating.

Same thing for the Gates xfmr, it was intended to be used with a choke input filter.

Fred
John K5PRO

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »

Patrick,
I concur with Fred, that the Basler iron was rated to run into choke input filter. Being single phase, most likely a dual section to improve the ripple. FM transmitters were essentially constant current operation with class C, except when the exciter was shut off, when the voltage would then soar. That implies that a DC plate voltage of 3500 volts would need about 3900 VAC before the full wave bridge rectifier. However, the old Dahl replacement spec was rated in volts AC at the same voltages, so there is either a typo on the nameplate or in the catalog. That's a reasonable transformer, BTW. Happy New Year.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »

Both were designed for choke input.  The Amertran has a tapped primary for 105, 115, & 125V.

They came from my stash.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »

Here is an old AmerTran catalog. I don't see the one you have, however. Yours may have an OEM number as it's not the style of part number in the catalog.

Thanks for making this catalog available. I had never seen an Amertran catalog before, although I have had several of their magnetics pass thru my hands in the past. Excellent quality iron, in my opinion. I had a pair of Amertran 70 hy modulation reactors that came out of an older 250 watt AM BC rig that are now in the possession of another member of this site.

Looking at the photos of some of the class B modulation transformers Amertran made, it appears to me that the large 500 KW unit they built may have been used in the classic RCA/GE/Westinghouse 500 KW WLW transmitter of the early 1930s.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »

I will post that file if you don't mind. Glad to have it! Amertran catalogs are very scarce.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015