The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:19:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HG-10B 'spotting'  (Read 1670 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:42 PM »

I've been following the other thread on the HG-10B.  I haven't opened my vfo to check the coils but I do get enough drive on 80 so I suppose that's okay.

However, I can NOT hear my spotting signal on 80 meters at all.  It's loud and clear on all of the other bands but on 80 it simply is not present.  I hate putting a swishing carrier on the air which is what I have to do for any freq on 80 that I have no xtal for.  I have to unplug the mute plug on the back of the reciever and key up to zero beat.

Any ideas?

John

AMI#1684
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »

John,

What you describe is something we all deal with with vintage equipment. There are several solutions that might include:

1.) Use a dummy load, rf tap, and a frequency meter. Key up on the dummy load and tune to desired frequency.

2.) If you have a lot of RF in the shack, a 2m rubber duckie on a freq counter picks up plenty of RF for the counter.

3.) To key up, and zero beat, it is helpful that any buffer stages/multipliers are also keyed up; not just the VFO.

4.) Could also use a coax switch to connect rcvr to a local 1 meter long antenna in the shack. This will boost the VFO signal and reduce the signal you are trying to zero beat such that the signals are better matched.

So the choices are zero beat or just go to 3880.00 or 7290.00 with a counter. I prefer the counter approach instead of zeroing to some guy at 3880.273. I come back to him at 3880.00, and he and eventually others will zero beat me...

one mans opinion...

Jim
WD5JKO
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »

Jim, Thank you for responding.  I just can't figure out why I get no tone with 80 meters selected.   I am trying to be able to use the SPOT function without removing the mute on the receiver.  I can pull the mute cable off the connector in the back and key up the transmitter and get the tone on 80 meters but that really is nowhere as convenient as simply using the SPOT function as intended and as it works for all the other bands.

I have the manual for the HG-10G and DX-60 both on paper and in a PDF file and I'm going to really look closely at it tonight at work.  I just thought I would throw the issue out here in case the vast experience of the AMfoners might have already tackled this problem.

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015