The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:32:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You !!Time to move on  (Read 16202 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

Gary,

Thanks for all your effort over these past years.

I can express my appreciation speaking from experience, having resurrected W2NRM's old AM publication to co-publish and then publish The AM Press/Exhange for about 10 years, even after the whole thing was dumped in my lap when Roger, N4IBF(SK) gave up his part shortly before his demise.

I was happy to see AMPX die as a victim of its own success, as Electric Radio and shortly thereafter as more AMers gained access to the internet, the AM Window, AMFONE and the AM Reflector came on the scene, and I returned to fully participating in the radio aspect of the hobby knowing that some form of AM bulletin service, which was and still is essential to the preservation of AM privileges in amateur radio, would continue.

We have come a long way since the days when the AM community had to constantly defend our position by countering the ill-conceived, poorly thought-out dockets that came down almost monthly from the FCC, along with the steady trickle of RM petitions from disgruntled amateurs who wanted to see AM outlawed. Because we have this and other websites, whenever any threat does occur, the ham community is fully aware of it within a matter of hours instead of weeks, and no panicky letter-writing campaign has to be instantly launched.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »

I thank Gary and all who have made this site so enjoyable. Its so much better than that antique forum that some of us use which is so overly up tight and moderated.

Carl
WA3VJB
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »

Thank you, Gary, for your friendship and your time spent crafting the best showcase we could have ever imagined ten years ago.  I hope we can stay in touch.

-pc-
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »

Thank you Gary for welcoming the entire AM community to a really special site.  We have enjoyed AM fone as a tremendous resource as well as a friendly place for like-minded (mostly  Cheesy) enthusiasts to meet and share camaraderie which is unmatched in other venues.  Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WB2CAU

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »

Thanks Gary for your dedication for everyone's benefit.  Maybe now you'll be enjoying the hobby more and will be heard on the radio.

I've been waiting for the announcement from the new administration... who is it?  Is it Facebook, Google, or Yahoo? lol  Grin

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »

Fantastic job over a long period of time - that's a real feat!

Hopefully, we'll still hear from you on the board or maybe even - gasp - on the air some day  Cool

Thanks for so much!

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »

Gary, thanks so much for making this site work so well. It is on a daily basis a real pleasure to read posts here and on occasion make a few posts as well...

Thanks!

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »

Gary,

Thanks for running this site. You have probably saved my sanity.

When I first came out to consult in Wyoming ( back in 2000) I had no TV, and although the radio would receive I'd screw up everyones internet and phones if I transmitted.

This site and Steve's at first were the only communication I had to the outside world that was not related to work.

It also had a lot of people who had the same interests.

10 years go by pretty quick, I came out here in 2000 as a favor to do 4 wells. I'm still out here after hundreds of wells and have even built a house in Boulder, WY and made it my residence.

Gary, thanks for making this site, it has helped me out not only on radio things, but to keep me sane in the middle of nowhere.

Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »

Let me add my thanks to you Gary, for a top notch site and also to everyone else who has helped manage this thing.  I learned a few years ago that the secret to a great website like this is having not one but a team of moderators.  Single moderators tend to burn out or become dime store tyrants imposing arbitrary and nutty rules.  A team democratizes that and imposes more reason and balance so real problems are dealt with no more and no less.   Unfortunately I know of only one other web forum managed by a group.  Thank you Gary and all the other managers.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »

I want to give a special thanks to Jay, N3WWL who has been with me on this project from the beginning handling the Moderation and member registration. Jay had a thankless job but he maintained a fair and balanced approach to moderating the site. Jay I can't thank you enough OM.

So it is time for me to move on over to the other side. Maybe I can play radio now!!

TNX

Gary/W2INR

So I'm assuming Jay is taking over as your "replacement"?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »

No Don.
Apparently still TBA

I too have moved on from my duties on AMfone, and hope the site retains the greatness it has achieved over the last 10 years.  It was my pleasure to serve with you, G.  You have been a true friend in every sense of the word.  
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »

Not to worry, the site is in well qualified, experienced hands...

When the proper time comes, they will step forward, I'm sure.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »

AmFone is a great site. I've always been impressed how the staff and management run this site without allowing any petty diferences to screw things up. I'm sure the new team will do as well as the old team. Again thanks G and  others.......

On another note, the emergency crew will stand by in case of failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOfsNiQxfAo

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 06:24:41 AM »

Hi Gary,
my thoughts of thanks too. It's amazing how the AMFONE is almost like a living thing. And so many ways to get a problem figured out with our stations. Buy, sell, P&M and even make some new friends.

BTW that Wheatstone console is making beautiful music on the air. It was a huge project. Didn't cost more than $250.00 to get some spare strips and a couple of sliders and those beautiful LED retrofit meter lamps. They put a lot into that and they look like the incadescent lamps. That was a real busy time for me as we were preparing for our big trip to the Philippines.
Keep in touch with us.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015