The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You !!Time to move on  (Read 16254 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: December 19, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »

Well it has been about ten years since Paul VJB gave me a call to tell me that Brian W5AMI was looking for someone to takeover the AMfone site. At the time Paul , Huzman, Dave K3ZRF and myself  spent much of our spare time promoting the AM mode through events and stations being set up at hamfests. So taking on the AMfone site would be a great tool for promoting our mode. I don't think any of us would have guessed just how successful the site has become.

I have learned a great deal about people over the last 10. I have met many new people, made a few friends, lost a friend or two, gained some nutcase enemies but rally enjoyed having the opportunity to sell our mode.  
My time has come to an end here. I think new blood and ideas will help perpetuate our goals here. I want to thank all out members past present and future for your support. Without your participation the site is just html on a server.  

I want to give a special thanks to Jay, N3WWL who has been with me on this project from the beginning handling the Moderation and member registration. Jay had a thankless job but he maintained a fair and balanced approach to moderating the site. Jay I can't thank you enough OM.

So it is time for me to move on over to the other side. Maybe I can play radio now!!

TNX

Gary/W2INR

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »

G:

Thank you for all the time and energy you and your colleagues devoted to making this site what it is today.  You created something that is very special to us and will endure as long as there is interest in "real" amateur radio.   You gave something back to the hobby and this is always a good thing. 

I disagree when you state that you "lost a friend or two".  Instead you made a helluva lot of new ones over the past ten years and you should not concern yourself in the least with the one or two "nutcases" that crossed your path.   Face it, they're out there.   When encountering these types always remember what a wise man said at NEAR-Fest I: "Don't worry, it's okay; we have bigger a**holes!

On behalf of the NEAR-Fest gang we wish you health and happiness for many years to come and we look forward to seeing you at Deerfield and on the bands as someone "on the other side".

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »

I too have moved on from my duties on AMfone, and hope the site retains the greatness it has achieved over the last 10 years.  It was my pleasure to serve with you, G.  You have been a true friend in every sense of the word.  
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »

I'll repost what I shared on the other side, not to be lazy, but because I think the words well describe the contribution of Gary, staff and the AM Fone site. If the new hand(s) at the tiller can steer her even half as well as you did, we'll not have a thing to worry about.

Very good, glad to see that you can move onto other new challenges!

Indeed the site has grown far beyond anyone's wildest dreams. I recall first being on Steve's site, the AM Window, which I thought and still do find a great resource, then AM Fone came along, and really caught the internet groundswell. As others must be, I am also curious who picked it up, but sure that you made the best decision to safeguard the continuation of the site and the new owner will come forward in due time.

You should be very proud of what you, and your moderation staff have accomplished here, for it has retained a very classy flavor and atmosphere, certainly heads above and decidedly different from the rest of the sites we see. In so many ways AM Fone has become the radio version of Cheers of the web, where everyone knows your name, as
contrasted to others sites which function as Billy's Salon, where most gather to argue and rampage. There is a culture of cooperation and fraternity here, an amazing collection of technical knowledge and know how from which we've all benefitted. It is precisely because of this culture that AM Fone has also become this wonderful repository of questions and answers on almost any topic related to radio, and with the ability to search out answers to a technical query, the site is akin to a exceptional online reference book. The collection of audio clips and photos make it an invaluable time capsule for generations to come. When you have radio luminaries such as Walt Maxwell actively participating here...well that is a compliment beyond mere words.  

Best of luck in your future endeavors,
Bruce
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »

I'm going to echo the sentiment of those who have previously posted G. I think you have been more than fair-handed and didn't over-moderate the board, nor those that you appointed to do so. I hope that your new endeavors leave you with some time to get on the aether every now and then and that the new 'skipper' steers it with the same steadfastness as you did.

Nice analogy, Bruce.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »

Gary,
  I would like to echo the comments above.
  Over the last 10 years I have learned a lot from the folks on this site. AMfone has attracted some of the smartest folks I have had the privilege to know in radio. When I have a question or need information, I search this site. The chances are good that the subject has come up and a solution or idea offered. It has come a long way from its start.

To me it doesn’t sound like enough to say, but, I was never really good at putting feelings into words. So, I’ll just say “Thank You” and hope you know what I mean.

Bill KA8WTK

Proud to be an AM “Screw Ball”

Bill KA8WTK
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »

It's been a good, long run, G.  As I've mentioned many times, you showed a lot of patience running the site. It wasn't easy to stay with it as long as you did. Most guys would have given up and dumped the site after a few confrontations.  The present moderation and posting rules are perfect.

The bottom line is, the rules are fair, there is security from bogus posts and guys are not afraid to post due to ridicule.  Compared to many other sites out there, AMfone is a very friendy place.  To me, this is "mission accomplished".

Over the years, the site has become a reasonably diversified forum. I think one of the strengths is an early decision to allow general topics along with the radio-oriented stuff. This allowed many to use the site to get answers to all kinds of questions and problems. Instead of members having to run off to strange, specialized forums where nobody knows them, we tap the vast knowledge here.  Still, the specialized AM radio information and knowledge pool has stayed strong.

All in all, it's not an end - simply a transistion. It will be fun to hear you back on the air. We appreciate the time and energy you put in on this site over ten years. Thanks to the moderators who have seamlessly kept a tight ship. And, finally, a toast to the many members who have contributed their knowledge over time.

Thanks, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K5WLF
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »

Gary,

I'm one of the new guys here -- signed up just a year and 10 days ago. The only AM "presence" I currently have is 25 PW watts from my ricebox. But, thanks to this site, I'm learning every day and I'm planning for the day when I can build a good AM transmitter with some great glowstuff showing through the front window.

To me, that's the magic of this site. I'm able to learn from a group of guys who've been there and done that and are still doing that. The depth and breadth of knowledge on this site continually amazes me and I've never asked a question that wasn't answered quickly and in a friendly manner. Many times the answers to my newbie questions have given me the knowledge to ask a more advanced question.

Any organization takes its cues from and develops its attitudes based on the man at the top. It is truly a testament to you and your leadership that this forum has become a haven and a gathering place for the exemplary quality of members that we are so very fortunate to have here.

For all that you've done and the massive effort that you've expended over the years, Gary, thank you.

Larry
K5WLF
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »

The 3 or 4 numbnuts over the years that tried Gary's patience aside, there's no better group of guys and certainly no better radio website around.

Many, many thanks for your patience and generosity in providing us a hangout, Gary.  The hobby is far better for your efforts over the years.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

Thanks Gary- You did a great job and will be missed Embarrassed
Enjoy your new pursuits. Cheesy
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »

Hate to see you go but 10 years is a long time to volunteer for anything. Thanks for the decent and fair adminstration and the countless hours of work. Hopefully you will retain a member account!

PJ

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »

Hi Gary,

I'm pleased to hear that you have finally found a new owner for the site. This was of course something you have wanted for quite some time, and I'm sure you are happy with the way things have finally worked out, and will work out for the benefit of AM Fone in the future.

I would like to personally thank you and Jay, N3WWL for the spectacular job you have done in terms of unselfishly creating, maintaining, and running this site. It has been a wonderful resource for those of us who participate in this particular subset (AM) of the amateur radio hobby. One of the really great things about AM Fone is there usually is someone out there who knows more than I do about a given topic; they've been there and done it. This provides a great opportunity for me (and for many others, I'm sure) to always learn something new on a continuing basis, whether it is related to AM, or essentially any other topic that may appear here.

I hope to see you in person at the various upcoming ham radio events, and that you continue to maintain a presence at them.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1JS

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

Thanks, Gary!

It's been a great ride! 

73 de W1JS

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »

Along with the others, Gary, I wish to express my thanks for the great service
     these past seven+ years...

Hope to see you down at Franks at the end of March...  Frank has said it's on
     as long as all things go well with his health...  

This could be the last one as he has stated a couple years back that he was
     growing weary with all the effort required so we better make it a BIG one for
     him...

(Jay, take notice!)

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »

Long may you run, Gary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nszR0tfp4Es
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »

Gary:

THANK YOU (and Jay and others) for your very hard work here-is is appreciated!

This site is a major part of my hobby and is enjoyable to spend time, learn things as well as pass knowledge.

Be proud of your efforts and the friends you have made or continued here, and welcome back onto the airwaves!

Dan
W1DAN
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »

My sincerest thanks, Gary, for all that you've done.  Best of luck in your future endeavors.  Smiley

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »

Gary,

What you and your team have created is the best resource on the internet for AM Radio Operators.  Spanning from the endless technical pool to some good fireside chats within the QSO section, Amfone is awesome!   The new caretakers of the site will have tuff standards to meet as they go forward but hopefully they have learned from your mentorship. 

I remember our discussion several years back down at Frank's.  I will try to paraphrase.  "Remember Joe how fun it was when we set up our first stations?"  "Maybe someday I will go back and do that."   If you go down that path, it will certainly be good to talk to you on the wireless! 

Best Wishes,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

Joe has hit upon what I've said previously, Gary: this site is an incredible resource for the AM community. When I look back at the help it provided to me getting back on the air and since, through online information or the ability to ask a question in the Tech section, I realize how those experiences for me are multiplied by the hundreds and thousands for all the other users. The fact that a handful of nutcases lost sight of the real purpose of the site over the span of a decade speaks even more for the quality of the site and its overall membership.

And for those of us who have known you for even longer than the site or 'net has been around for us, we recall the times before you left for a while to sell off the current station and buy or build something new. I know myself and many others hope and look forward to the day you again appear down on 80m or where ever else and join in the furball of fun without the hassles of having to be that guy who runs AMfone. Especially since "the antennas are still up". May they remain up, and may they fill the air with RF again one day soon.

Thanks for everything you and Jay have done for us here. I'd lift a bottle of Long Trail IPA to you, but they don't sell it down here. Yet.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1QWT

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »

Hey Gary,
   Thanks so much for everything.
 I am especially thankful that I had the opportunity to meet and talk to you personally.
 So take care, keep healthy, and have a very merry Christmas. Hope to see you again at Nearfest.

Regards
      Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
KC2ZFA

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »

I too want to say thanks to the AMFone team.

And a _special_ thanks goes to Gary who sold me parts
before I was re-licensed.

AMFone is the main reason I got re-interested in the hobby.

Peter
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:40 AM »

Gary,
       Many thanks for all of the years of fun and enlightenment here on AMFone. You were definately appreciated and will be dearly missed. sometimes, ya just gotta do what you gotta do. Stay well, live long and prosper, and party hearty.

Now that you have mentioned it we now full expect to hear you back on the air! ! !

(And you wont have an excuse for not making it to the pharty this coming year)

Stay well, brother ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »

I too want to say thanks to the AMFone team.

And a _special_ thanks goes to Gary who sold me parts
before I was re-licensed.

AMFone is the main reason I got re-interested in the hobby.

Peter

My thoughts exactly!!

This site is the reason I'm getting back into it; lots of great information and ideas. I too have bought parts from Gary and others.

Thanks again to Gary and team!

Greg

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »

Yes, this is the best ham radio site ever! Probably one of the best resources for any question about ham radio you could want. Good luck Garry & Jay Grin Grin Great job well done Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

Thanks Gary and all of you that made this forum happen and have kept it running so well for so long. AMfone is my favorite website. I learn something new here every day. You gave us all a great tool Gary and we appreciate it. Well Done!

Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015