The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heard tonight on my S-38  (Read 4412 times)
w1vtp

« on: December 11, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »

Decided to hook up my Halli S-38 and heard some familiar stations:

Budley WD8BIL  He was the strappingest
K4KYV  Don Right there close to Budley
KF5IIA Brandon in LA - Mostly Q5 (Make that Q4)
There was a local but I couldn't make him out.

Man! is that receiver broad as a barn door  Grin

* S-38.jpg (138.08 KB, 1500x994 - viewed 258 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »

Tune in the Whirl!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »

Just a little wide.  Got a EM model.  It's even wider than my S-77 and S-85.  Some of the AM crew sound really good on it, though.  Can hear some of the better signals on an indoor test antenna.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »

AH YES - the S38 - Superb timbral match, top-notch dialogue clarity, seemingly limitless dynamic range and great envelopment!

These are the good old days of AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »

It's hard to imagine that guys actually used such rigs as their front line or only receiver back in the day. We really don't know how good we have it!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »

Many of us were just kids when we started out in ham radio.  Not a lot of money to spend for a rig!  My funds came from my paper route. It was a challenge just to get something on the air.  I started with an old Zenith console radio that our neighbor gave me for my receiver.  A 1939 Zenith 7S363.  Took the chassis out and set on the table and I used another little ACDC broadcast receiver sitting along side of the Zenith for a BFO.  Heterodyned the osc in the IF of the Zenith...actually it didn't work too bad, but it was wide and only marginally stable.  My first "real" receiver was a Heathkit AR-3.  That thing was probably not as good as an S-38, except it did have a transformer power supply.  It had the relative sensitivity of a cardboard box, but at least it had a real BFO.  Many guys who started back in the golden age of the 30s and 40's used really primitive stuff.  Simple regen receivers were very common.  Actually, however, some of those regens worked pretty well!  Maybe better than S-38s or AR-3s and you didn't need a BFO.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »

I got my $$ working in an appliance repair shop (at the tender age of 15).  First thing I got was a nice casserole dish for my Mom.  Next thing I got was a brandi new S38B.  Shortly after that I traded it in at EVANS Radio for a SP-100.

Later on I moved up the "corporate ladder" and landed a job repairing car radios.  That's when I got the Eldico TR-1.

Happy days  Smiley

I'm so glad I got this S-38.  Oh yeah, later on my Mom gave the casserole dish back to me.  I still have it and use it.

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »

Wow, even though it was a couple decades older, that was a major step up to the SP-100, Al.

I have a lot of respect for the crew who came up using S-38s, AR-3s and the rest without losing faith and moving on to stamp collecting. I have a AR-3 here paired up with the AT-1 and while it's fun to play with from time to time, it gives me a great appreciation for all we have access to today for pennies, basically, as well as what you guys went through. Though I'm sure at the time it seemed great, something being better than nothing, having a BFO and so on. It's difficult today for those who go out and buy a collection to appreciate that. Money can't buy the rich history or experience that only time brings.

I bet that casserole dish is a prized possession too, Al.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

Todd

Wouldn't trade my journey for anything  Smiley

BTW: Chris 2JBL shamed me into digging this out of the junkbox.  Recommended for S38 operation

Al

* ISOLATION XFMR.jpg (402.9 KB, 756x817 - viewed 258 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015