The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book 'em! FCC enforcement job available!  (Read 8798 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: December 11, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »

12/9/10

Title: FCC Engineer

Job Summary: The FCC’s Enforcement Bureau is looking for an engineer (Electrical/Electronics, etc. education and/or background) for its Seattle District Office.  Since this posting is only open until 12/22/10, I am hoping that you may assist us in publicizing this outside hire via your industry, governmental or company outlets.  

This position is posted as a GS-855-13 and is open to those outside the agency and the government.  For more information, see: this link
(http://jobs.mgsapps.monster.com/fcc/vacancy/preview!printVacancy.hms?orgId=4&popup=true&jnum=4990)

(GS-13 engineer pay appears to be $80,510 – $104,910)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »

12/9/10

(GS-13 engineer pay appears to be $80,510 – $104,910)

Too low on my pay scale. I have needs!  Cool

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:50:23 PM »

Yea, but it only requires $40K a year worth of work
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »

The badge.  Don't forget to tell them about the badge!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

The badge.  Don't forget to tell them about the badge!

That got me laughing!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »

The badge.  Don't forget to tell them about the badge!

The badge is made of plastic.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »

Dont forget the SX-28 in the car
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »

Better to bust the the Nazi sympathizer spies on CW. Antenna wire hidden up the chimney.
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »

"Badges? We don't need no stinking Badges"

* stinking badges.jpg (61.47 KB, 400x300 - viewed 394 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

Book 'em Dano.   This evening I stumbled over a Chicago tv station that runs old shows on one of its sub-channels.  I watched two episodes of Dragnet, then two of Highway Patrol.  Then part of M Squad (who remembers M Squad with Lee Marvin?).   It was great TV.  Had not seen Highway Patrol in probably 47 years.  I watched more tv tonight than I have in the past six weeks.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »

Antenna wire hidden up the chimney.

Unfortunately that now describes every ham who lives in one of those weird developments populated by people who make him hide his hobby as if he's a drug dealer or some other criminal.

W7POW

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

This thread is frickin hilarious! Grin
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »

Too bad the job's in Seattle - I'd almost be interested  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »

My thought as well. All the jobs are in places I don't want to live in.

I looked at some of the requirements and qualifications on their various jobs. Some of their demands are a bit extreme and are for things that would probably never be used on the job. I'm not sure I ever was able to do differential equations in my head but that's what it may amount to because they test applicants. How is it I make satisfactory money in an honest way as an engineer and technican, and yet have never done a differential equation or the calculus since school?

gee whiz, why not a job that just reads,"find illegal transmitters and use whatever method is least expensive to shut them down. resistance is futile."  Could have a heyday with that around this burg.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:57:54 PM »

Yea, but it only requires $40K a year worth of work

then there's always the bribes.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K9PNP

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »

Antenna wire hidden up the chimney.

Unfortunately that now describes every ham who lives in one of those weird developments populated by people who make him hide his hobby as if he's a drug dealer or some other criminal.

Whadda you mean 'as if he's a drug dealer'.  If the ham was a drug dealer, he wouldn't have to hide.  It's only the legal stuff that needs hidden nowadays.  Remember:  criminals have 'rights', lotsa rights.  Wonder what a 160 M chimney would look like?  Maybe obvious?

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »

The FCC job would be a good gig for someone who wanted good job security, good benefits and was satisfied being a cog in the machine.

Speaking of hidden chimney antennas -  I've always liked the big white PVC pipe flag pole in the front yard idea. Add three more and make it a 4-square. Heck with base loading, the verticals would have to be only 33' high (1/8 wave) and would work well.

Let's see, a US flag, a state flag, a Marines flag and an AM flag would do it.

Dean/WA1KNX proved a point with his truck. He once strapped on a huge 2X4 stud wooden platform to the truck bed to hold his very large 75M mobile antenna system. The base coil was 1/2" copper tubing wound on a 5 gallon plastic pail. What an eyesore.  But going down the highway nobody even paid attention to it, thinking he was just another construction worker hauling a bunch of junk.   Whereas my Blazer following behind him had just a single homebrew bug catcher style whip on the back bumper and got all the weird stares. Go figure.... Wink

Same thing for neighborhoods FILLED with telephone poles loaded with power lines, phone lines, cable TV junk, etc. Nobody even sees it, but put up a simple openwire-fed dipole in the front yard and the necks crane as they drive by.  Funny stuff.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1IA

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »

That got me laughing!

"Badges?...We don't need no stinking Badges!...."

Run What Ya Brung!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »

Same thing for neighborhoods FILLED with telephone poles loaded with power lines, phone lines, cable TV junk, etc. Nobody even sees it, but put up a simple openwire-fed dipole in the front yard and the necks crane as they drive by.  Funny stuff.

T

I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday.   Put up a 60 foot tower and beam in a neighborhood with 100 foot tall old trees and no one cares.  put up same antenna in a new neighborhood where the tallest things are roofs up 25 or 30 feet and everyone s!!!s a brick.  It's almost never really about the antenna but about the setting.  It's all psychology -- nothing about it is rational.  Most of it is knee jerk reaction to the landscape change.   If nothing is done, after a few months people will have stopped noticing it, if the antenna is allowed to stay up that long.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »

That got me laughing!

"Badges?...We don't need no stinking Badges!...."

Badgers? 

AMI#1684
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »

I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday.     It's almost never really about the antenna but about the setting.  It's all psychology -- nothing about it is rational.  Most of it is knee jerk reaction to the landscape change.   If nothing is done, after a few months people will have stopped noticing it, if the antenna is allowed to stay up that long.

Yep, it certainly is in the eyes of the beholder. When you walk down a busy city street, focus on the power lines and all the JS connections hanging everywhere. It's amazing what we see and block out.

I remember once visiting an elderly tree-hugger at his hilltop home during the evening. He had an incredible view of the forested horizon for maybe 20 miles. On the distant hills I could see the warm glow of blinking red lights - that of various cell/communication  or AM broadcash towers on a few of the highest peaks. I commented to him on what a beautiful view he had. Just before I was gonna mention the nice towers he jumped in and started complaining that the towers have ruined his view over the last few years... Grin  Perfect example of how hams see beauty in things others loathe.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015