The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice USN shack with a photo of something I built back in '74  (Read 5143 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: December 18, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »

Go Andy Go!

http://www.qrz.com/db/KD6TKX

Man, was it tough getting the parts together for that PS back then...but getting that big TBL new-in-the-crate(s) was quite the incentive.  If your memory holds up OK, there was even an article about that beast in ER years ago. Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for bringing this fellows station to our attention.

Beautiful, classic equipment, and lovingly restored to as-built condition. I can really appreciate what he must have gone through in order to achieve the desired end result.

Most impressive, and a real labor of love.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »

Here's another that a coworker of mine sent me recently.

http://www.navy-radio.com/misc/shack.htm
http://www.navy-radio.com/index.htm

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »

Here's another that a coworker of mine sent me recently.

http://www.navy-radio.com/misc/shack.htm
http://www.navy-radio.com/index.htm

Now that's impressive. And in K4NYW's house no less.

I wish I had the room at my QTH to set up and operate classic radio gear that like.

As is, my basement is filled to the bursting point with equipment and parts.

The incredible passion many hams have in terms of putting stations like this together never ceases to amaze and inspire me.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
K9PNP

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »

An absolutely fine collection.  Some of the best restorations I have seen.  TKX should be rightfully proud of it.

For more Navy gear, see www.ussindyradio.org.  This is done by a group of hams and is now a permanent part of the Indiana War Memorial in downtown Indianapolis.  Gave them my ATD xmtr since they could give it the restoration I would never have the time to do.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »

Note his wall mount insulators look like versions of those used by RCA to support MV rectifier hash ckokes (and who knows what else). These are very classy insulators, very hard to find, very strong.

* IMG_0059.jpg (32.37 KB, 400x300 - viewed 390 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »

I have worked him a few times. Nice signal out of that old gear. 

C
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »

K4NYW's Naval Radio Page has a picture of a National R-302/URR-22 receiver that bears a very strong resemblance to the E.H. Scott SLRM in panel layout and has the exact same frequency range of the Scott.  I saw one of these at Deerfield a few years back and it looked like National built these sets on original SLRM chassis using 7 pin mini tubes in lieu of octals, to the point where they installed adapter plates with the mini sockets in the original octal socket holes. The front panel of the R-302 seems to have a few extra controls vs the Scott at locations that they would be easy to add based on how the Scott panel stood out from the main chassis.

Anyone know anymore about the Scott/National connection on this radio?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »

Most impressive!
That feed line layout was wonderful to look at, gave me a few ideas of my own.

Great to see that historical gear have a loving home.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

Note his wall mount insulators look like versions of those used by RCA to support MV rectifier hash ckokes (and who knows what else). These are very classy insulators, very hard to find, very strong.

I recently found several of those insulators in a junked broadcast transmitter. Rescued all I could. Don't know what I'll do with them, LOL. Made by Isolantite for RCA.

Amazingly, they're still in business in 2010, making the same sort of ceramic insulators, spreaders, standoffs, feedthroughs, all of the good old boatanchor stuff.

http://www.isolantite.com/

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »

There was a guy on EPay that was selling them about a year or so ago. I bought a couple of batches from him.

I did finally notice that Fair Radio has them under "insulators" on page 32 of Catalog-WS-09. About $5 each and 20% off of 10+. At least three different ones. The shorter brown ones are really nice too @ $3.75 ea.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015