The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3733...?  (Read 16811 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »

So if it can work in Eu, why not eliminate sub-bands in the USA?

Try it (again) and see what happens to ya, Tom.

Bud,

What exactly did happen to you guys when you formed the "Think Tank" and proposed it?  I recall you and some other prominent AMers petitioned the FCC to eliminate mode sub-bands while retaining licence class sub-bands, but withdrew it after the ARRL bandwidth petition came out and about the same time, the phone band expansion was passed.  I assumed that you withdrew your petition to avoid muddling the issue, since at the time the bandwidth petition seemed a more immediate concern in regards to AM operation.

Did you feel subjected to some kind of behind-the-scenes menace to make you feel compelled to withdraw the petition?  If so, please expound.  If you prefer not to post it publicly, maybe you could PM or e-mail me.

FYI:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=5513688362
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=5513688363

And two "think tankers" trying to hook onto IARU Region 2 Band Plan after both RM-11305 and RM-11306 proposals were going down the tubes:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=5513481235
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=5513481324

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 03:10:42 PM »

I'm sure he's sitting in a dark room somewhere, all by himself, gleefully applauding his own cleverness.

"Applauding," eh ?

Haven't heard it called that, thanks.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 03:29:22 PM »

* BITF Blue In The Face  (KA1KAQ-ism Club)

That's actually a Jack/K9ACT-ism from his pre-robot days, made more famous through overuse by Buddly and myself. You should know Tom, I'm not that clever. Though I did coin the term Plexi-King....   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »

HEY.......... that one's Mine!!!!

What exactly did happen to you guys .....

Don;
Let just say I no longer have the phone number I had then!
People with different...... opinions..... can be very unpleasent when you suggest changes to "THEIR" status quo!

Pete:

The history lesson is enjoyable but I was refering to what happened to me on a personal level!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »

HEY.......... that one's Mine!!!!

Oooops! I stand corrected! That'd make me RITF?

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Actually, Todd, I gotta give you your dues! You used it quite a bit during the same period to help bring it to significance!
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »

Don;
People with different...... opinions..... can be very unpleasent when you suggest changes to "THEIR" status quo!

Well I just got a nice Christmas card from a certain someone at the FCC, saying thanks for you and the other AMers using the expanded phone band we gave you on 80m and 40m; now don't be filing Petitions anymore, love and kisses.

So it all comes out well.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

.... now don't be filing Petitions anymore, love and kisses.

He'll get his Christmas wish there, at least from me !
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

When the CTT proposed doing away with sub-bands, mixing modes, or whatever it was they proposed, a well known low band dxer really went into doom overdrive saying it would be the end of ham radio as we know it or something to that effect.  There was a lot of hysteria. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »

a well known low band dxer really went into doom overdrive saying it would be the end of ham radio as we know it or something to that effect. 

Well, it would be. That's the point, right?

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »

Don;

That's why I let caller ID and the answering machine take care of my incoming phone calls.  If someone calls me and the call is worth responding to, they will leave a message on the machine.  I'll return the call if I feel like it. These days, over 90% of my incoming calls are junk.  Most don't even bother to leave a message.

Well I just got a nice Christmas card from a certain someone at the FCC, saying thanks for you and the other AMers using the expanded phone band we gave you on 80m and 40m; now don't be filing Petitions anymore, love and kisses.

Sounds like sarcasm to me. After all the hullabaloo from numerous parties, we managed to get the phone band generously expanded. After a few weeks, once the novelty wore off, just about everyone migrated back to their old hanging-out frequency, and now that part of the band is just about as sparsely populated as it ever was before the expansion. Don't think the people at the FCC don't listen to what is going on.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »

Sounds like sarcasm to me. After all the hullabaloo from numerous parties, we managed to get the phone band generously expanded. After a few weeks, once the novelty wore off, just about everyone migrated back to their old hanging-out frequency, and now that part of the band is just about as sparsely populated as it ever was before the expansion. Don't think the people at the FCC don't listen to what is going on.

You're right about the sarcasm. No card, really.

But to some extent, your second point supports the basis for the CTT proposal: relax the mandatory segregation and let people of good will sort it out on their own. Enforcement action is still available against those who choose not to play well with others.
AB3FL
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »

If the bands were to be de-segregated, the slopbucket corntestees would take over the ENTIRE of EVERY Band with the CQ Contest....UR 59...agn...agn....ad nauseum......

Tom - AB3FL
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

If the bands were to be de-segregated, the slopbucket corntestees would take over the ENTIRE of EVERY Band with the CQ Contest....UR 59...agn...agn....ad nauseum......

And that differs from ....HuhHuh
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »

And that differs from ....HuhHuh

Being able to sometimes find an open frequency in the Extra portion of 80 meters phone during contests.... if there were no subbands, it would fill up with all the General class operators fast...

AMI#1684
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... good point!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »

"  it would fill up with all the General class operators fast...  "

Yeah .....  also, its gud to have the special frekincies; it's a lot easier to look down upon the lowely unwashed ( i.e. generals).

...  _ _  .._   _ _ .

klc

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »

.....the lowely unwashed ( i.e. generals).

AWE......... Come on Wigger. There's plenty of soap and water to fix that! And you don't hafta wait till a Saturday night to do it!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »

I have a 5HP power washer  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »

See there... and I'll throw in a wire brush and brillo pad!

Hey, it works for me.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »

'spencive

* Carburetor_Cleaner[1].jpg (37.76 KB, 320x320 - viewed 330 times.)

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »

Yeah .....  also, its gud to have the special frekincies; it's a lot easier to look down upon the lowely unwashed ( i.e. generals).

There's nothing special about those or any other frequencies. It seems to get overlooked a lot though, that the only people keeping the Generals from using those frequencies are....the Generals themselves. Huh! A kind of self-imposed exile, Generally-speaking.  Wink

Though as one incredibly astute poster (known to some as Captain Obvious) pointed out recently, it's indeed one's God-given right to not only be a General, but to remain one forevah. Semper Generalis!

No pressure washer required, either way. Just back away from that trigger, Slab......sloooowly....... Cuz I just know when you run outta Generals, you'll come looking for us somewhat-less-but-still-lowly Advanced ops to hose. I see it in yer eyes.....

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »

Being able to sometimes find an open frequency in the Extra portion of 80 meters phone during contests.... if there were no subbands, it would fill up with all the General class operators fast...          

QuaRMtesters tend to gather towards the low-frequency end of the band.  During the recent sweepstakes, there were plenty of open spots above 3900. 3900-4000 is a segment vastly neglected by AMers.  Many of the OF slopbucketeers who dominated that segment for decades are now talking on the Icom in the sky.  

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »

Todd, That was a piss and moan classic comment for the thread that will never end
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »

for the thread that will never end

Speaking of long threads............

Ted Nugent is on tonight.........Spirit of the Wild!!!
Outdoor Channel........ 8:30PM EST.

Tooth, Fang and Claw!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015