The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phased KAZ Antennas  (Read 10311 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »

Gee that could be done easily with another Mercury RX board and software but I may resort to a variable phase shifter or a number of selectable delay lines.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 09:14:56 PM »

I found an article that claimed you could flip the direction of a 2 element 180 degree phased terminated loop with a delay line. So gave it a try tonight and sure enough moving the delay line to the front loop flipped the pattern. I had it set up with a transfer switch and tried a number of signals between the broadcast band and 40 meters. Saw 10 dB shift on the WBZ and WTIC with more on the higher bands.
Then I connected my Hybrid Combiner. It did not work, lost directivity. So I guess the roll of the hybrid combiner is to pass two signals without them effecting each other.  I'm using a Mini Circuits ZFSC-2-2000 and it works as expected. RX=HPSDR
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »

Yea, a hybrid combiner will never work. Why did you use that?

I found an article that claimed you could flip the direction of a 2 element 180 degree phased terminated loop with a delay line. So gave it a try tonight and sure enough moving the delay line to the front loop flipped the pattern. I had it set up with a transfer switch and tried a number of signals between the broadcast band and 40 meters. Saw 10 dB shift on the WBZ and WTIC with more on the higher bands.
Then I connected my Hybrid Combiner. It did not work, lost directivity. So I guess the roll of the hybrid combiner is to pass two signals without them effecting each other.  I'm using a Mini Circuits ZFSC-2-2000 and it works as expected. RX=HPSDR
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »

Taylor never intended for his hybirds to be used on wimpy stations like WTIC or WBZ.

It's all right here:

http://www.wimp.com/chineserestaurant/

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 02:51:53 AM »

Tom, almost fell off the chair... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Really funny...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

Third KAZ went up today, this one faces West. I'm having a ball with this antenna system when a can measure 25 dB front to back between them.
Now to gather parts for #4 so I have two elements phased facing both ways.
HUZ that coax we bought isn't 100 feet, more like $75.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015