The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: low noise RX ants round 2  (Read 1434 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: November 21, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »

Finished yard work yesterday so today I started antenna season. I built two matching transformers with common mode chokes in 5 inck lengths of 1 inch PVC. One end cap I drilled for a female CATV F connector. The other cap I drilled two holes for SS 6-32 screws to accept the antenna leads. Reused the transformers 4:1 from the summer tests. I was lucky to have an old line amp with minature hardline to F. I slid a bunch of beads over the line 4 inches long then soldered the transformer low Z winding. The high Z winding went to lugs. Each lug took a screw and nut then slid into the end cap. The 5 inch section of pipe then installed. Finally the end cap took the F connector. Once compressed I put a pair of SS sheet metal screws through the sides of the caps rather than using glue. (just in case)
I was lucky to get 100 foot lengths of RG6 at Deerfield for $6 each with waterproof connectors so needed interface to them.
Next issue inside the house interfacing F connectors to BNC. I found a F bullet threads into the back of BNC male connectors so after a trip to home chepo I'll have adaptors. I plan a pair of loaded loops one East and the other West. Then look at maybe a phased pair. Next weekend they will be installed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015