The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Engineering  (Read 11946 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »

Forwarding these examples on. Good laff. #3 is the winner.

* driveway.jpg (39.99 KB, 500x418 - viewed 701 times.)

* tracks.jpg (45.89 KB, 400x344 - viewed 744 times.)

* ur.jpg (16.15 KB, 400x300 - viewed 605 times.)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »

Those are obviously urinals for sailors who can unbutton either side of the trouser flap!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »

That last one is good for the split pee syndrome Grin Grin

Know what I mean Bert??

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »

Funny....... Cool Cool Cool Cool

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »

what were they thinking with these designs? the last one - pee partners. something to be avoided for certain. the design was possibly marketed as a way to help keep the urinals cleaner. works when no one wants to use them.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »

More like a bad architect or bad builder. No engineering involved.   Wink
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »

They must have borrowed our engineers from work  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:48:51 PM »

I have seen many things, including radio equipment with comparable design.  Like a toggle switch whose handle is blocked when an adjacent rotary switch is set to a certain position. I have done the same thing myself: cut out a hole in a chassis and then discover that the transformer I wanted to install wouldn't fit because something was in the way of one terminal, or else there wasn't room to connect a wire to it. Or find that a tube with plate or grid cap would fit nicely into a cramped space, but realise there was no way to connect or disconnect to the cap because there wasn't enough room for the connector to clear the cap when it was taken off.

Another example was with a brand new high school they built a few years ago near here.  The classrooms were rectangular, somewhat  long and narrow. The teacher's desk, white board, computer and controls for all the A-V equipment were located at one end.  They installed a screen and projection monitor in each  room.  You guessed it.  That screen was placed at the opposite end of the classroom.  The chairs had to be arranged sideways so the kids had to turn 90° to one side to see the teacher and board, and then turn 180° to the other direction to see the screen.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »

Reminds me of my time in gov't. On more than one occasion, someone's great idea ended up being a debacle, but for whatever reason - it went ahead anyhow. Some were true head scratchers, though I'm not sure any were quite as amusing as these.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »

I say Photo Shop.

In the RR picture the shadows are missing in some places. For example the tree shadows on the left side do not follow all the way.

The house one makes no sense. No builder would invest in something to sell that has angles that do not allow the vehicle to get onto the driveway and then into the garage without hanging up.

Tjhe urinal one might be real to meet a state or federal mandate for the size of the establishment, but then the BI would have had to sign off on it for the CO.

Funny- but doubtfull

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »

I say Photo Shop.

In the RR picture the shadows are missing in some places. For example the tree shadows on the left side do not follow all the way.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the tree shadow; that could just be the shape of the tree limbs, but you will notice that the right handrail casts a shadow on the wall but the left one doesn't. Also, the shadow under the porch is at a different angle on the right side than on the left.  Assuming that it is the sun that is generating the light, the shadow angles should be the same on both sides, since sun rays striking the earth are very nearly parallel.

Besides, if the train track was still in use, the porch would have been knocked down long ago, probably before the concrete had time to set.  If the track was abandoned, weeds and grass would be growing up through it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

It still bemoans of typical engineering practice, (with exception to all the EE's on board  Wink ). At work a person will implement a scheme because they seem hell bent on making it fail. We ran an reverese osmosis filter backwards for 5 years because the CE said this is the way it was done. The would continue to blow seals and 1000psi rupture disc. It wasn't until this person left that our maintenance staff convinced operations of the error. It hasn't blown since and runs rather quiet now to boot. But a perfect example of wasted government money is the city of Sunbury, PA just re-did a traffic intersection complete with new sidewalks that followed the regs of the 'Americans with Disabilities Act'. But since they were given 'stimulus monies', those new sidewalks were tore out and new ones re-poured that were identical to the ones that were in there. Just because they had the money to spend!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »

" But since they were given 'stimulus monies', those new sidewalks were tore out and new ones re-poured that were identical to the ones that were in there. Just because they had the money to spend! "

whos brudder or sister in law owns the mud shop??

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »

There is some engineering involved, but the intentional waste of resources always makes engineering worse. Dallas is building a 'city park' complete with trees etc, right over an 8-lane highway that cuts across downtown. The cost is obscene. Another idiotic project is some kind of festivities area in the Trinity river flood plain, including a toll road and a bad copy of the St Louis Arch. The Army corps of engineers advised against driving foundations and piers into the flood plain there because the whole thing is built on sand down deep below, and once the water gets in besides the new piers, it can find its way under the levee, and literally come up through the topsoil and flood downtown. Furthermore Dallas is too broke to hire more police not to mention repair the FLIR on the helicopters, er.. that is the one helicopter that still has not been grounded and to keep the libraries swimming pools open yet still does these foolish projects. The more money is involved, the more ways will be found to spend it on assinine things.

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »

One way to fix the "urinal problem"! Grin

http://www.radioactivepanda.com/comic/70

* Urinal gun.jpg (172.11 KB, 600x600 - viewed 528 times.)

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
w1vtp

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »

I say Photo Shop.

The house one makes no sense. No builder would invest in something to sell that has angles that do not allow the vehicle to get onto the driveway and then into the garage without hanging up.

Tjhe urinal one might be real to meet a state or federal mandate for the size of the establishment, but then the BI would have had to sign off on it for the CO.

Funny- but doubtfull

Yup Photoshop or equiv
w1vtp

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »

I have seen many things, including radio equipment with comparable design.  Like a toggle switch whose handle is blocked when an adjacent rotary switch is set to a certain position.<snip>

HP 8640 had a switch in the back that was misplaced.  If you picked up the sig gen up with the left hand supporting the rear it was easy to hit the int / ext time base switch.  It if gets put in the ext pos, which I seem to recall was up, the display quits.  I have had many trips out to the field the discover this snafu.

Made for some easy fixes   Grin

Al
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »

Al,
One of my cleanest 8640Bs has the reference switch wired backwards.
Go figgure $100 on ebay and came with a dead display. Just for the heck of it I flipped the switch and it came to life. Maybe somebody tightened it and rotated the switch around.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »

I was once a manufacturing engineer at a company that designed all manner of analog filter boards, with sub modules like preamps that could be added to the board. Being analog, all the boards had trim pots for DC offset and the like. The problem was that they designed the boards with the trim pots placed 'blind' against other assemblies - you couldn't access the pot. This led to such idiocies as putting the entire board in an oven to heat soak, then whip the door open, pull the card out, yank the daughtercard off, tweak the pot 1/4 turn, slam it back onto the card, slap the card back in the oven trying to maintain temperature and see if you made things better or worse or just disturbed the temperature too much to tell. Wait 5 minutes, rinse and repeat.

The amount of human frustration with the assemblies was staggering, as was the wasted time. As ME, I kept lobbying for a redesign with the engineering group until I was told point blank by the owner to cut it out, he didn't want them 'wasting' time fixing it. The manufacturing manager and I figured that anytime a Japanese company wanted that part of the market, they could have it just by designing the boards for real manufacturing.

In terms of wasteful government spending, the local craze here is 'traffic calming'. This is the tactic of taking your tax money once to build a road, then taking it again to put impediments in the road to keep you from using it. Lately these have been costly raised speed bump pedestrian crossings, or in some places just blocking the road entirely to traffic. The speed bumps make reasonable launching ramps on a good motorcycle. Whenever I see Traffic Calming signs, I'm tempted to add "Driver Enraging" with a magic marker.  Grin

Our little Politically Correct city seems determined to get rid of cars. Traffic calming, taking away the street parking, or making it terribly expensive, weird hours, local taxes. Then they wonder why we just click on the web and have UPS deliver it to our door instead of going downtown shopping.

I hope the pendulum swing back towards normal soon....

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »

It seems that individual people can be pretty smart, but groups tend to divide the available brain power...

Feature Creep is a good example.  Some folks keep adding to the design until it just plain doesn't work right.  Ever see Pentagon Wars?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W3SLK

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »

A camel was a horse put together by a committee  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »

"A committee is a life form with 6 or more legs, and no brain" - Lazarus Long/RAH   Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »

Committees - none of us is as stupid as all of us.

* poster.jpg (30.94 KB, 507x362 - viewed 479 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

I have seen many things, including radio equipment with comparable design.  Like a toggle switch whose handle is blocked when an adjacent rotary switch is set to a certain position.<snip>

HP 8640 had a switch in the back that was misplaced.  If you picked up the sig gen up with the left hand supporting the rear it was easy to hit the int / ext time base switch.  It if gets put in the ext pos, which I seem to recall was up, the display quits.  I have had many trips out to the field the discover this snafu.

Made for some easy fixes   Grin

Al

That was my $25 8640 right there. "it's broken, just good for parts" he said. I actually started taking it apart to check the power supply before I noticed the switch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015