The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IARU Region 2 - New Band Plan - Effective October 8, 2010  (Read 15491 times)
wd8das

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »

Sigh.

The Region 2 bandplan still has no specifications for the bandwidth measurements, so they are absolutely meaningless.  But this stuff *will* be used to stimulate arguments between hams as to who or whom is too wide, as they they across each other with overloaded and noise-blanking communications receivers making meaningless judgments about occupied bandwidth.

Why in the world do they feel the need to specify bandwidth in a bandplan at all?  

The new bandplan will still be a cause of friction and upset among hams in the years to come.  

Steve WD8DAS

wd8das

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »

K5UJ wrote:

>This band plan reads as if there is an assumption every ham operates
>store-bought plastic radios that have been potted to prevent any kind of
>modification.  Homebrewed rigs...old BA rigs especially anything from
>before around 1951, would be harder to enjoy. 

That is EXACTLY the problem  - in a plan like this there is no room for experimentation with new modes, no room for nostalgia SSB and AM operations, no room for simple homebrew rigs.  Everything has to be able to meet the published bandplan specs. 

At my hamfest last year I overheard an ARRL representative pontificating to someone about "how to get started in the hobby".  It was all about how important it is to make a clean tight signal that meets modern specifications...by buying a current production new transceiver!  Never a word about trying one of the many old used rigs on the tables all around us at the hamfest, or building something simple from the parts also available.  The advice was to head immediately to Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee and whip out the credit card.

As I said when this bandplan was under review, I feel it is vital that we err on the side of flexibility and less restrictions, rather than more and tighter controls that eliminate future choices.  If we are to remain viable as an organized hobby we've got to be open to a wide variety of modes, both old and new.

Steve WD8DAS

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »

According to the IARU Region 1 band plan, AM (or any phone for that matter) is not permitted below 3600, but the French-speaking group has been operating for years on 3550.  I believe Jean, F6AQK is one of them.

This is the current Region 1 band plan as of March 2009:
http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=173&func=download&id=67&chk=ad749a5838bf54074fbb722969cc6f6e&no_html=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »

Pete, thanks for posting that link.  Valuable reading for anyone wishing to become re-acquainted with the issues and players.

This band plan reads as if there is an assumption every ham operates store-bought plastic radios that have been potted to prevent any kind of modification.  Homebrewed rigs...old BA rigs especially anything from before around 1951, would be harder to enjoy. 

We can all relax and consider this advisory or whatever, but grown men don't pay good money to travel to some place and spend several days dreaming up rules, just for the hell of it.    There's a point to all this--some kind of agenda.  Where there's smoke there is eventually fire.  It may be 5 or 10 years off or next year but I doubt if it is going away--that's not the way of bureaucracies and people who get off on having some sort of dime-store authority.

You may want to go back to my initial post and click on the link for the Background Decisions involving the revised band plan.

You might also want to review the IARU page - "What is IARU-R2" http://www.iaru-r2.org/what-is-iaru-r2/ to review some of the background motivation for IARU Region 2 activities and decisions.

Jim KF2SY

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:24 AM »

As they say: LOL

It's always hilarious to watch the paranoia set in.

Those with severe paranoia bandwidth issues may want to go back to this thread, http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=12262.0 for additional fodder to regurgitate all over again. 

Seee, IARN err,  I mean IARU, whatever, its all just a joke as you say above.  LOL
They appear to be a diploma mill.

http://www.iaru-r2.org/nuevo-diploma-iaru-r2/

We only recognize our grand exalted ruler : the Fee Cee.We don't need no stinkin badges or diplomas.  Our sandbox is just fine.
 Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs&feature=related

Jim KF2SY

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »

OMG !
...."It is governed by an Executive Committee elected by the Triennial General Assembly of Delegates, according to the electoral procedures established in the By-Laws. In the directory you can see who these volunteers are....."http://www.iaru-r2.org/what-is-iaru-r2/

Wow, do they have have their own RDF equipped Black  Helicopters piloted and carrying jack booted thugs who sweep down on un-suspecting hams.  Then I suppose they hand out tin badges and demand you sign their silly diplomas.  Good grief.   Shocked

we'll keep oor eyes out for the Triennial General Assembly of Delegates  Roll Eyes

Maybe we can head them off at the pass. 
Cheesy
WQ9E

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »

Well,

Since this whole IARU/ARRL control freak attitude is "assinine" perhaps we need to form:

Regulated Enough AlReady (REAR)

in order to prevent the Association for Silly Stuff (ASS)

from turning all of us into a bunch of BUTTS (Barred from Using Tube Type TransmitterS)

That is my view of the whole stinking situation.

Seriously, there is little more dangerous than an organization which has little purpose searching for a way to try and validate itself.   Perhaps these organizations could better use their time designing less dorky looking gear for their Emcomm folk.

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »

Wow, do they have have their own RDF equipped Black  Helicopters piloted and carrying jack booted thugs who sweep down on un-suspecting hams.  Then I suppose they hand out tin badges and demand you sign their silly diplomas.  Good grief.   Shocked

First, they demand "Papers, please". You present your H.A.M. radio ID card and then they let you go.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »

I have found that in the past what ever the (IARU) proposes is the law of the land in a year or two. Some of us AMers had better head to New Mexico or Bolivia and join this group and vote our two cents in.

John W9BFO
KC2ZFA

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »

First, they demand "Papers, please". You present your H.A.M. radio ID card and then they let you go.

that barcode gives me the chills...does it encode the number of The Beast thus disqualifying
the bearer from getting Raptured ?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

I have found that in the past what ever the (IARU) proposes is the law of the land in a year or two.

Huh Huh Huh The IARU doesn't run or manage our FCC. "What law of the land" are you referring too?

Some of us AMers had better head to New Mexico or Bolivia and join this group and vote our two cents in.

John W9BFO

New Mexico isn't a country. You need to form a country in order to be part of the IARU.

Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »

The ARRL and then the FCC generaly gose along with what the IARU proposes. The law of the land is the laws from the FCC that govern amateur radio. The IARU has no controle of anything but a lot of people listen to them. Sorry about New Mexico lets send some AMers to El Salvidor.

John W9BFO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »

The ARRL and then the FCC generaly gose along with what the IARU proposes. The law of the land is the laws from the FCC that govern amateur radio. The IARU has no controle of anything but a lot of people listen to them. Sorry about New Mexico lets send some AMers to El Salvidor.

John W9BFO

@Are you basing this on actual facts or dream weaving  Huh

@ You sure they don't have AMers already in El Salvador? Here's some station pictures:

El Salvador hams: http://www.georouter.com/cras/

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »

But only if you are an ELMER.

Wow, do they have have their own RDF equipped Black  Helicopters piloted and carrying jack booted thugs who sweep down on un-suspecting hams.  Then I suppose they hand out tin badges and demand you sign their silly diplomas.  Good grief.   Shocked

Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

It looks like a lot of old equipment there so some AM activity maybe carried out. I am glad to see it.

John W9BFO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »

@ You sure they don't have AMers already in El Salvador? Here's some station pictures:

There were AMers in El Salvador back in the 80s.  I used to be able to hear Radio Vinceremos during the armed conflict.  Reportedly the transmitters were ham rigs like DX-100s and Valiants. Some ham had to donate them or else they were requestioned from hams living in the country.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ve6pg

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

...of course there are american hams below 7125....check their zones...i frequently werk guys in alaska, puerto rico, and hawaii...they DO NOT  have the same restrictions as the rest of the u.s.a. these guys have different regs...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »

...of course there are american hams below 7125....check their zones...i frequently werk guys in alaska, puerto rico, and hawaii...they DO NOT  have the same restrictions as the rest of the u.s.a. these guys have different regs...

..sk..

http://www.iaru.org/ituzonesc.gif

And:
See 40 meters >> http://www.csgnetwork.com/hamfreqtable.html

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »

Colorado and Massachusetts are not in Alaska or Puerto Rico. Those are just two of the many I recall hearing.

...of course there are american hams below 7125....check their zones...i frequently werk guys in alaska, puerto rico, and hawaii...they DO NOT  have the same restrictions as the rest of the u.s.a. these guys have different regs...

..sk..
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »

Why are US hams outside the lower 48 still allowed to operate below 7125 while the rest of us are not?  Supposedly they were given that special privilege because the foreign broadcast QRM made frequencies above 7100 unusable when long-distance skywave was present, plus some of the overseas territories lie outside of Region II, and this was the only way hams in those parts of the world could have at least some access to 40m phone.  But now that most broadcasters have vacated 7.1-7.2, this special privilege no longer serves any useful purpose.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »

I could understand HI and to some extent AK. But Puerto Rico? How is propagation to PR that much different than much or the rest of the east coast of the USA.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015